avoid using National Car Rental!

suzannewong

Earning My Ears
:mad: Our experience w/ this company, both online and at their airport rental site were the worst I've ever experienced! The on-line people refused to add my frequent flyer number to the reservation; I called the 800 number - they were quite nice and did it right away! The on-site staff varied from rude to belligerent (the counter person insisted I had taken her pen and demanded I return it!) and we were charged for a compact car car when we had rented an economy car and told that the rate was the same for both types ($12 difference!). So, if you have a choice - don't use these guys!:mad:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with National. I would however like to let you know that I have had wonderful experiences with them. I recently rented a car through them and when I got to the airport found we would really need a bigger car than I had reserved. They upgraded me for free (I'm guessing because I have a free Emerald Club Card thanks to posts on here last year) and the people practically bent over backwards to help me out. Everyone has had bad days and maybe the person behind the counter had some circumstances to deal with that you were unaware of (filling in for someone else, working extra hours, having a cold, etc.) I'm not saying you didn't deserve to be treated better but I do think you need to remember that there are a lot of things going on in the world right now that deserve a lot more attention of your time and try not to let these type of things get you down. And by the way - I don't work for National and neither does anyone in my family.

Since my negative experiences involved their a)internet service, b) car pick-up and c) car return I doubt that I just encountered one individual having a bad day. Three out of four experiences with bad service indicates to me that they have some work to do on their customer service. By posting my experience here, please don't presume that I am letting this "get me down". I believe these boards are intended for people to share their experiences, both good and bad. While I'm glad your rental went well I can do without the shoddy service and overcharging from National as well as the sanctimonious elements of your comments. :rolleyes:

National and Alamo's parent company filed for chapter 11 bancruptcy protection today.
Maybe that explains the poor service.:(

National and Alamo are both owned by the same company?! Icky! I wish I didn't know that.

Sorry you had such a tough time.
I've used them quite often and had nothing but pleasurable experiences with them.

I posted about my DH's bad experience with them as well (forced to take insurance coverage by rude "management"). Other than that, he said it was great. Spent WAY too much time trying to get all that insurance stuff partially straightened out (see previous posts in Tranportation section).

And, you're right, posting both bad and good experiences help everyone. I wanted everyone to know about the insurance issue. It stated in his profile he DIDN'T want it, but management stated it said otherwise (follow-up with CSR via phone verified we were right). I think I'd take a copy of the profil with you as well for proof.

Also, I think we've all had problems with that website!

I'll probably really get it for this, but here goes . . . For those that have bad experiences with more than one person at a company, it could possibly be in the way you're handling the situation too. I find that if someone is a bit nasty to me, then I just give them a bigger smile (they say smiling is contagious).

Being forced to take insurance you didn't sign up for tends to put you on edge! I think you were referring to someone else :) Since I wasn't there, I don't know how DH handled it. Poor thing, didn't have anything in writing to state otherwise. I said "why didn't you make HIM prove it". He was so frustrated by it and didn't even know how EA worked that he didn't think of that (plus filled out the EA form). Lucky it was a business expense.

Just beware everyone!

Disnee Dad Says............................................................... I'm sorry you had I bad time, I was really happy with National. I was the only one in line to check in. The hardest part was going to the garage and looking for an economy car. There are no economy cars, I guess compact and economy are the same. I asked a guy there, he explained and in two minutes we were off. Well not exactly, you have to checkout at a booth, it took fifteen minutes to do three cars in front of us, but only two to check us through. When I checked in the car at Disney a week later, again I was the only one in line. The shuttle driver even postponed his lunch so he could take me to the hotel!! They did try to hard sell the insurance, and I had to sign a waiver stateing that I understood I was declining their coverage.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with National. We have used them several times, and have never had any problems. Maybe their company has suffered cutbacks, as so many others have, and there are less people, who are very stressed out, having to handle a larger work load.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Sorry about your negative experience with National.

I must admit my experience has been excellant. I was stuck in WDW during September 11 and I was able to take my rental car home without any additional expense. They bent over back wards to make it a pleasent experience. I realize that everyone was being helpful during that week but it did make me feel better as I was trying to make it home. But my check in experience prior to 9-11 went very smoothly.

We also used National Emerald Isle in late September, and had no problems whatsoever. Had a beautiful car, and would not hesitate to use them again.

the only problems I have ever experienced with them were the websight. the agents were nothing but wonderful. I would definitely use them again!

Sorry you had a bad experience, but ours was great. We rented from them in late September with the Emerald Club membership. I checked several different companies and was able to rent from National for a slightly cheaper rate. We paid for a full size and upgraded for free with Emerald Choice to a very nice Chevy Blazer with less than 2,000 miles on it.

I have never rented a car before but after being there two extra days and no possible
flights in sight we went to the National Rental on property rented a small car and made our
way back to Massachusetts. The people were fine, not wonderful but pleasant nonetheless. We were just glad to be working towards our goal of going home.

My only regret about that trip is that we used our last pass on the park hopper on September 12th. My husband and I were way to depressed and yucky too enjoy Disney. It felt so wrong. So we stayed about an hour and then went back to our hotel. What I wouldn't give for that day back now... :)

United We Stand

we use it everytime but they are kinda good at messing things up

this time-the guy didnt copy the numbre form the car right or something so it took an EXTRA 30 minutes!

I have only used National at the airport, they have always be accomodating to me. I will stick by them, I am sorry your experience did not live up to this but I cant see badmouthing them to others without everyones 2 cents put in, good or bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter