Aww crap...(need some toilet help ha)

rideswithchrist

DIS Veteran
We replaced our original (broken) thetford with a taller toilet and there is a sewer smell that keeps coming out. It is worse when we turn the vent fan on- like it is not sealing.

What do we need to look for? We tightened the toilet again but it is not seeming to help.

You do have water staying in the bowl correct?

If you weren't having the problem with prior crapper then likely it's the seal on bottom of commode. We're the dimensions the same?

Could get household commode wax seal and take wax off it to build up a thicker seal and reset the crapper.

Thanks for the replies.!

Check the vent, if it gets blocked, the smell will back up, here is some info

https://itstillruns.com/troubleshoot-watertank-air-vent-plugged-7501413.html
We could smell it from the top, check!

You do have water staying in the bowl correct?

If you weren't having the problem with prior crapper then likely it's the seal on bottom of commode. We're the dimensions the same?

Could get household commode wax seal and take wax off it to build up a thicker seal and reset the crapper.

Dimensions were similar, the bottom hole (no clue on technicals) was the same dimension, but the base was not as oblong and we went for an 18" (I don't think I like the tall toilet though)

The NEW crapper is broken too. :crazy2:
We decided to clean the black tank, so I poured 1 cup of Dawn into the toilet, and watched it promptly ooze past the seal down in to the tank- as soon as we added water, it was gone too. And to top it off, the toilet flush valve is also broken, so the commode keeps running (which is what happened to our last one, flooding the camper bathroom!)
We took it camping twice.

So we will be taking it to Camping World tomorrow for a replacement and I hope we just got a lemon last time and this is not common with the Domestic 310.

We have friends staying in the camper this weekend some can't wait.

I agree with both Team Bradford and Tiggerdads suggestions . I would check and make sure the gasket is properly seated and creating a good seal all the way around

Wow, just watched a few replacement vids, and crazy thats its just a rubber flange. If that were pinched, it would smell. Vent is always a concern with smells as is water staying in the bowl. Good luck hope one of those works for you.

No No, not camping world. If you bought a new toilet snd it doesn't hold water, i know it ain't nice, but open it and wipe the seal with an alcohol wipe. It is the best thing to keep rubber pliable.

Car and toilet problems at same time in two threads…. Ugh

Yep yep- it has been quite the week around Clan Davidson

No No, not camping world. If you bought a new toilet snd it doesn't hold water, i know it ain't nice, but open it and wipe the seal with an alcohol wipe. It is the best thing to keep rubber pliable.

If the flush valve was not also messed up, we would mess with it. AND also if it was not merely 1 month old and was holding water just fine for, 2 weeks.

CAMPING WORLD IS THE WORST. They were trying to tell me my only option was to buy a new one, and more expensive at that! I called Dometic and the lady actually told me that I should never shop at Camping World because they never back up what they sell. She joked that I could toss it through the window like that Firestone commercial!
When I told the manager at Camping World that, he changed his tune. So, I can bring it to them for a "diagnostic" and repair or replacement.

From here on out, unless it is something small and insignificant, I'll shop elsewhere.

The fact that it wont hold water tells you everything. It doesnt take much of a seal breach to bring the dookie monster out.

You dont realize just how easily the air can move in and out of that tank. We keep our trailer in our pole barn that is insulated and has a ceiling. If the toilet is flushed while its inside that 2 qts of fluid rushing into the tank will make the entire 1500sf barn smell really bad.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter