Baby Slings

Ratpack

WL VET
DVC Gold
I need some help from the experts. We are looking into a baby sling in order to carry our DS. Mostly this will be used at home but with our trip to WDW coming up in July, we thought we could use it there. DS will be 5 months when we go. What do you folks recommend as the best one and why.

Thanks!

If possible, go to a baby store and try several different brands on. I don't believe there is one best brand. That said, we were happy with our Nojo, which we got second hand from a friend.

Peggy

sling or front carrier?

I am a big fan of the baby bjorn front carrier. Why? It is well made, easy to use, it isn't too bad on the back,and has a fairly long use life (as far as any baby product goes). They are pricey to buy new, but I found one on ebay.

Our daughter was not quite 8 months old when we used a front carrier at WDW. It was such a blessing for us--much easier to strap Anna on and go than to try to hold her in lines, watching shows, etc. Having her in the carrier put her up higher so she could see the "world"

We also used it at 10 months, which was a bigger challenge. She had discovered crawling and wanted no part of being held back, LOL!

I have owned 5 different brands of slings (not front carriers...I owned 2 different front carriers besides the slings I owned). The one I fell in love with and wins hands down for me is the Maya Wrap. http://www.mayawrap.com/ It is just awesome it doesn't have padded rails so I find it easier to adjust to you and the child and because of not having the padding it packs up smaller and I have used it as a blanket also so my girls. I got it when I was pregnant with my second child and she is 3 years old now and I still use it with her twice a day or more that is how flexable its useage is. I can't say enough wonderful things about this product it is just wonderful, plus when you buy it they send you a vedio to show you all the ways to use it so that makes it really easy to learn all the ways you can wear you child. I now give all my friends the Maya Wrap for shower gifts. It is just an awesome sling and you can buy child size ones so your child can wear their dolls also.
Oh and I also have taken my Maya Wrap to WDW twice...it is also really nice because it is 100% cotton and light weight so you don't get too warm. The tail part of the Maya Wrap is awesome for extra covering if you DS is breastfed and you want feed in the sling while standing in line you toss the tail over him and you get a little extra privacy. I have done that several times and did that one day walking around Epcot.
Ok I said enough wonderful things about the Maya Wrap. ;)

I've heard great things about the Maya wraps, but I've never tried one. If I were to have another baby I might look into one.

I got my slings from http://www.parentingconcepts.com. The last one I got was a clearance fabric for <$20. Ask them about their clearance slings; they don't advertise them.

I've used mine from newborn 'til over age 3. They're very versatile.

I highly recommend checking out http://www.kangarookorner.com . In addition to selling many different types of slings, it also has a ton of great info, including a sling comparison chart and sling wearing instructions. I have a Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch, which I absolutely ADORE -- it is so comfortable, and is super-easy to use. I also have a ring-sling, but it takes a bit more getting used to than the pouch. (We have an au pair, and she was always too "intimidated" to try the ring sling, but she used and loved the pouch from Day One!)

Unfortunately, the fleece pouch will probably be a bit too warm this summer -- especially if you have a July WDW trip planned! Kangaroo Korner is supposed to be coming out with a "solerveil" sling, made out of a lightweight fabric that contains UV protection -- that would be perfect for you, if it's available in time!

Good luck!

Beg, borrow and TRY different slings/carriers. I had at least half a dozen of these contraptions between my two children - because all my girlfriends swore up and down by them and they seemed like such a good idea. But I never got the hang of any of them. I never felt like baby was safe, had a hard time getting baby in and out of the carrier/sling. All in all, for me, it turned out to be an exercise in futility.

They still seem like a good idea to me - but in retrospect, I should have had a sling party to try them out with my kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter