Babywearing a 1 year old

Wonder05

Mouseketeer
ok, so with my daughter when she was one I wore her whenever we went out to dinner. It was So easy and she loved it! I'm wondering if anyone has done this at Disney?
I'm thinking of doing it with our baby who will one year old next year.

Also what carriers did you use/recommend. I've only had the classic Ergo. But my back would kill me after a bit. Sitting down eating was fine but walking through Target, that's another story. Admittedly I was in my early pregnancy at the time so maybe that had something to do with it.

I signed up for the babywearing Disney Facebook group weeks ago but haven't heard anything back.

I wore ODD in an ERGO in WDW when she was just under a year old- 11months to be exact. It was Dec so not terribly hot but I have heard people complain about sweating with the ERGO. With YDD I used a Beco Butterfly II. I loved that carrier but they no longer make it. Beco's line is now called Soleil I believe.

There are a TON of new companies on the market since my kids were little. Many of them have lightweight options for warmer climates.

Will you not have a stroller with you to take breaks with?

Personally, I wouldn't wear my son at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter). We went when he was 18 months old. The idea of strapping 30 lbs to my back in 90+ degree heat just really wasn't enticing. At all. We mostly used the stroller (he napped in there too). He would walk short distances and we also carried him short distances if we needed to. But I understand that everyone is different, and I enjoyed using my Ergo 360 when he was smaller and couldn't walk yet. It's a great carrier.

My youngest wouldn't tolerate a stroller until he was 9 months old. Wouldn't ride in one at all without screaming...yeah, he was a fun infant. We go to Disney once to twice a month and he's been going since he was 10 weeks so I did a lot of babywearing there.

Once he got to 9 months I was done carrying him all day. Even after only a half day my back was killing me and I had a carrier with great back support - Beco Gemini.

If you're talking only wearing him at dinners (my 1 yo wouldn't have that but it is the same kid that wouldn't ride in a stroller for 9 months of his life so he's a special case) then sure go for it but I would take the carrier for use sparingly only. Bring a stroller as well.

I loved my Beco Gemini. My back gets sore easily and I needed good support. I could baby wear much longer than with some other carriers.

Thanks!
I was looking into the Lillebaby but then saw one with a hip seat and thought hmmm I wonder but that might be awkward?

I baby wear my kids until they are over 2, more for my convenience than anything else. My favorite for older kids is a ring sling with a hip carry - basically the same as carrying your child on your hip the way we all do, but the sling holds the weight rather than your arm.

I have an osprey kid carrier that my 4 year old loves. She's barely 30lbs and she fits good into it. We hike and our daughter loves going but her little legs get tired quickly and this allows us to keep going without having to take a lot breaks. Most of the time it is just me and her that are hiking together. But it is like a backpack where the child sits and has little storage areas. I think it is comfortable, and I am hauling it through woods and uphills and over rocks. I would not hesitate using it through the parks.

I have an osprey kid carrier that my 4 year old loves. She's barely 30lbs and she fits good into it. We hike and our daughter loves going but her little legs get tired quickly and this allows us to keep going without having to take a lot breaks. Most of the time it is just me and her that are hiking together. But it is like a backpack where the child sits and has little storage areas. I think it is comfortable, and I am hauling it through woods and uphills and over rocks. I would not hesitate using it through the parks.

My son hit 30 lbs at 18 months. I'm starting to think I'm raising King Kong...I can't imagine what he will weigh when he's 4. I only weigh 110 lbs myself. I'm in good physical shape, but I really think I'd struggle badly with him strapped to me in the Florida heat. It's just one of those things that works for some people and not for others.

I wore both my babies at Disney when they were 1 1/2 - 2ish.
So much easier because they don't believe in sleeping in strollers. We used the stroller to haul stuff lol. Yeah for both kids they were either in the sling or walking. I highly recommend baby wearing. It really makes life easier, especially for fussy babies who want to be held and nursed all the time. You can do it all and have your hands free.
I had a couple different ones I used, a simple breathable cotton one (hugamonkey) which was good in the heat. Then I have a Moby, very stretchy and snuggly, but it's hot and is a lot of fabric. I also have a woven wrap (storchenweig) which I used for back carry up until last year with my little pipsqueak (he is 5 but tiny). I never liked structured carriers because I have a small frame and they don't fit me well.

I wore both my babies at Disney when they were 1 1/2 - 2ish.
So much easier because they don't believe in sleeping in strollers. We used the stroller to haul stuff lol. Yeah for both kids they were either in the sling or walking. I highly recommend baby wearing. It really makes life easier, especially for fussy babies who want to be held and nursed all the time. You can do it all and have your hands free.

It really depends on the kid, though. My son loves the stroller and does fine napping in it. We had him at Disney when he was 18 months. We didn't even bring a carrier and never found ourselves wishing we had.

This probably just isn't a one-size-fits-all situation.

One other thing to consider is that Grandma is going to be doing the carrying. I know there are lots of different kinds of Grandmas out there, but I wouldn't dream of my mom or mother in law walking many miles a day with 30 lbs strapped to their back. I'm not trying to be stereotypical of grandmas at all! But I think this would be a tall order for an average middle age+ woman. I'm mid-30s, in great shape, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it.

We used our Lillebaby when we went in December. It wasn't terribly hot but Lillebaby has Airflow carriers that are mesh and breathe a little better. Babywearing can get hot in general so I think this carrier is a good option... plus it has more back support than our Tula.

Thanks!!
I would appreciate pics of how you wore your children and if you liked it or not.

Huggamonkey hmm I'll have to look into that. Might be a good idea for our daughter who will be 3 durning our trip?
I Really don't want to push around a double stroller I've seen then and tried empty and for me it was awkward. My son likes to be carried , he enjoys being close. Granted right now he can't sit up by himself yet but he's likes being close.

For a 3 year old (depending on size) I prefer to back carry with a woven wrap. It's really important to have a tight, secure wrap on your back because you can't see them or catch them if it isn't secure. It takes practice! If your 3 year old is heavier than you are willing to carry then you're probably not going to want to try this.
Example:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/28/e9/0e/28e90e87d8e17fe8e8fff39a98cae8a2.jpg

Hugamonkey is good for babies and small toddlers. Most of the weight rests on your shoulder with some distribution over your back. So imagine the amount of weight you would be willing to have on your shoulder (like a purse). I have used it for bigger babies for extra support when holding, like this picture:
https://www.minimonkey.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Sling-Classic-4-in-1-heupdrager.jpg

Most important for little babies is to make sure they positioned correctly so that they can breathe - air flow and neck and shoulders not curled.

Do research and practice.
We also bring an ultralight stroller when we travel so we have flexibility for whoever wants to ride, snuggle, walk, whatever.

Thanks!
I was thinking a sling for our daughter who will be three then. She's always been on the small side. Messing with wraps is something similar not very good with lol I'd have it all over the ground Yuck! I litterly wrap the baby in his Solly baby wrap in the master bedroom and struggle sometimes getting that right plus the ends are dragging until I get them wrapped around me (in the master cause we have cats they'd attack the wrap lol)

So for her the sling might be good for those times that she will want to be carried (she won't always be in it. I doubt she will all the time but I have a feeling there will be times.)

We will have 4 adults (my husband, my parents and myself) and three children (6 years, 3 years and 1 year don't know how much walking he'd do at that point as my daughter was a late walker and my first son an early one)

Last edited:
Thanks!!
I would appreciate pics of how you wore your children and if you liked it or not.

Huggamonkey hmm I'll have to look into that. Might be a good idea for our daughter who will be 3 durning our trip?
I Really don't want to push around a double stroller I've seen then and tried empty and for me it was awkward. My son likes to be carried , he enjoys being close. Granted right now he can't sit up by himself yet but he's likes being close.
Here my daughter is almost 2.5 and is easily 36-37" and 34lbs. I'm able to carry her on my back for hours in our toddler Tula. We didn't use it for dinner, though, as she's always been fine to sit at the table in a high chair.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

About the back pain - there is no carrier that will make your back not hurt. If it hurts with ergo - it will hurt with anything. And I am not saying that everyone will hurt with the same carrier. It does depend on your baby, your posture etc.
I tried a lot of carriers, Ergo is definitely one that I would complain the least about personally or hear about it being uncomfortable from other parents, and baby carrying is quite the hit here on the other side of the pond.

That said: I only mean front carrying. We never wear our boy as a backpack, but I have a strong suspicion that we will this upcoming trip :D
Ergo has one model with mesh for summer if you struggle with heat. However the most heat is created by body to body situation, so you will not avoid heat anyway.

Can't imagine not using stroller at all, not saying it is not possible. I just would not do it to myself. We bought City Mini Tour for the park (almost the same price as rental for 11 days so no brainer) and we love it.

Taking two carriers for the trip - Ergo cool mesh (or something) and baby k'tan (for the pool and quick carry). TIP: Having two carriers when you and your partner wear the baby and you are significantly different sizes is a benefit. ERGO is nice and easy to snap on and stuff but all the buckles need to be adjusted since my partner is much taller and slimmer than me, he also loves Ergo. I don't mind wraps so I can wear k'tan (that we should have in two sizes as well but somehow we swing one).

If you do not mind experimentation, I have seen baby carriers from sites like aliexpress (wish) that pop up on amazon (it is a plague), made in china (no certificates or guarantee of safe fabrics, so I am not getting it), that can support sitting baby. In the hip part of the carrier they have detachable belt with frame or a mold inside that is kind of a chair. No idea if anyone used it and if it is helpful. I would definitely like to know. Pic below.

miMx6lB.png

EhDghak.jpg

I am not recommending this, I have never used it or seen anyone using it. It might be pretty cool, or a complete and terrible mistake.

I carried our daughter in our Ergo when she was 15 months and when she was just over 3. She needed to be in it less when she was 3, but it was still extremely helpful.
The best part about wearing her when she was 15 months old was that during naps, I could still experience rides and such because she just came with :)

About the back pain - there is no carrier that will make your back not hurt. If it hurts with ergo - it will hurt with anything. And I am not saying that everyone will hurt with the same carrier. It does depend on your baby, your posture etc.
I tried a lot of carriers, Ergo is definitely one that I would complain the least about personally or hear about it being uncomfortable from other parents, and baby carrying is quite the hit here on the other side of the pond.

That said: I only mean front carrying. We never wear our boy as a backpack, but I have a strong suspicion that we will this upcoming trip :D
Ergo has one model with mesh for summer if you struggle with heat. However the most heat is created by body to body situation, so you will not avoid heat anyway.

Taking two carriers for the trip - Ergo cool mesh (or something) and baby k'tan (for the pool and quick carry).

The problem with the Ergo 360 (of which the Ergo cool air is a variation) is that it has a front carry weight limit of 27 lbs. People with a 1 year old would need a different carrier if they wish to front carry. It work if they only wish to back carry though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!