Back From Disneyland Hong Kong! {finally added some pictures}

goteamSy

Mouseketeer
Just returned from an amazing trip to Asia! I haven't uploaded any pictures yet, but wanted to give a quick review about my experience at Hong Kong Disneyland.

This was the last part of our two week trip to Asia (the beginning of our trip was spent in Thailand - Bangkok and Phuket - which were AMAZING). After Thailand, we made our way to Hong Kong. We stayed on Hong Kong Island for a night to see a lot of the sights around that area, then went to Macau, and then finished our trip near Disney.

When I travel, in room wifi is a deal breaker for me, which is why we didn't stay on property at either of the HKDL hotels. Neither of them offer wifi in your guest room. So instead we stayed at the SkyCity Marriott, which was 10 minutes (or so) away from the park. The hotel offered a free shuttle to/from Disney (in addition to also offering a free shuttle to Big Buddha and the airport), which was fantastic.

I'm a HUGE Disney lover and have been to the parks in the US many times. This, however, was my first Disney experience abroad and I couldn't believe how similar, yet different it was!

I knew going in this the park would be small. Small may not even be the right word, tiny is more like it. Most of the park seems like a miniature replica of the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. Almost like it could fit inside two of the lands there. Everything was "cute."

The attractions were great. We were actually there the day Mystic Manor opened, which was exciting. I think its going to get compared to the Haunted Mansion because of it's style, but the ride itself isn't like the Haunted Mansion at all. The ride was shorter than I thought it was going to be. It looks big, but it's actually just the same room twice in a lot of instances so it can accommodate more cars. You essentially "travel" with the same four cars throughout the ride. It's the story of Henry Mystic and his pet monkey. They find a music box that brings inanimate objects to life. Overall, it was fun and we went on twice. One weird thing at the gift shop here is they sell items from rides that aren't at this park. It sort of just made me miss the "real" Disney.

I was sort of underwhelmed by Toy Story Land. I thought there was a lot of Toy Story in this park and while I like Toy Story, I don't LOVE it. The land sort of featured rides you'd find at a carnival and weren't Disney to me.

I loved the classics, - It's A Small World, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, etc. They weren't exactly the same, but similar enough to make me love them... and at the same time their differences kept me intrigued. :thumbsup2

I REALLY loved Grizzy's Gulch. It's sort of a mix between Thunder Mountain and Mt. Everest. We went on it three times. :love:

I also loved the Fantasy Gardens in Fantasyland - it was really easy to meet your favorite Disney characters here and the lines were short. In fact, the lines in general weren't bad. :wizard:

A big disappointment for me was the food. I LOVE Disney World food - aside from offering food from all over the world, their selection is amazing and their sit down restaurants are not to be missed. I thought this was greatly lacking here. The food selection was slim and the dining options were "eh" at best. However, their supply of the infamous "Mickey pops" were endless and a huge win in my book. But seriously, where are those amazing specialty restaurants Disney offers?!

And, lastly, the weirdest attraction of all - myself. My husband and I felt like we were the main attractions. We were constantly being gawked at. You know the expression, "take a picture it'll last longer?"....well, they did. I was approached to take a picture WITH a couple of times, like I was some sort of celebrity, which I assure you, I am not. It was weird. :confused3

Overall, I loved this "mini" Disney. I would SO go back if it weren't for the 16 hour plane ride. However, I'm just fine with visiting Disneyland in CA and Disney World in FL... although, my next goal is to visit the Disney in Paris! :cool1:

Thank you and I'm happy that you had a chance to have fun at our Disneyland here in Asia. I thank you for your trip report, and I agree 100% with everything you say. We cannot wait for Shanghai Disneyland to open, we hope then they all will go there.

Cheers!

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll post your pictures soon.

(BTW - I've got Tokyo and Paris on my hitlist; but will be heading to both DLR and WDW over Sep/Oct this year first.)

As promised, here are some pictures from our day at DLHK...

DSC03905-copy.jpg

DSC03943-copy.jpg

DSC03949-copy.jpg

DSC03975-copy.jpg

DSC03966-copy.jpg

DSC03933-copy.jpg

DSC03995-copy.jpg

DSC03981-copy.jpg

Great photos! Mystic manor looks awesome.

Totally agree with you about the food. Crystal Lotus for the Disney dim sum and desserts were good. I thought Chef Mickey's was ok, but nothing else was good for me last trip. Next trip we're trying dinner at Enchanted Garden. Hope it's good!

Glad you enjoyed HKDL! Sadly, I didn't. It's just less charming for me and the 'atmosphere' isn't quite there. I agree with everything else you said, including the blah food and the underwhelming (and messy) Toy Story Land. It's suppose to be the carbon copy of the one in Paris, cmiiw.

Ironically, HKDL is the closest park from my home!

I guess Disneyland Paris is nice, but if you can, try making Tokyo Disney parks as your next goal. It's a million times better, quirkier, more unique IMO. You'll be so blown away and so culture shocked at the same time ;)

And, lastly, the weirdest attraction of all - myself. My husband and I felt like we were the main attractions. We were constantly being gawked at. You know the expression, "take a picture it'll last longer?"....well, they did. I was approached to take a picture WITH a couple of times, like I was some sort of celebrity, which I assure you, I am not. It was weird. :confused3

I have a friend from Sweden who went to Hong Kong Disneyland once, and some people took a photo with her as well, who were complete strangers... Why is that? Is it such a shock to them to see someone who is not Asian looking, that they have to take a photo with you like you are a celebrity? It's weird, I wouldn't like it if people were staring at me all the time and wanting to take photos with me.

I have a friend from Sweden who went to Hong Kong Disneyland once, and some people took a photo with her as well, who were complete strangers... Why is that? Is it such a shock to them to see someone who is not Asian looking, that they have to take a photo with you like you are a celebrity? It's weird, I wouldn't like it if people were staring at me all the time and wanting to take photos with me.

you people must be ridiculously good looking like Prince Charming
:rotfl2:

We were in Beijing a few years ago and were approached by a group of schoolgirls with a camera and we thought they were asking if we could take a group photo of them, but it turns out they wanted a photo of them WITH my DH (he's tall, blond and blue eyed) so he stood there and they all took turns to come out of the group to take a photo - it was really weird!

We are going to be in Hong Kong next April to join a cruise so we are flying in a couple of days early to visit the park so we can complete our Disney parks full set.........until Shanghai opens that is!

I have to agree that Tokyo parks were totally different which makes them so great but for us Paris is our closest park so sometimes we just have to 'make do' until we can get to WDW again, or DCL.

To answer your question, it's actually a big deal for them to see a Westerner. Some Asians go through their lives never seeing a non-Asian so when they do, they want to remember it.

I'm going to school in Beijing right now and my Caucasian friends are constantly being stopped for pictures. People here even go as far as to touch their hair! To them, it's a real oddity.

To answer your question, it's actually a big deal for them to see a Westerner. Some Asians go through their lives never seeing a non-Asian so when they do, they want to remember it.

I'm going to school in Beijing right now and my Caucasian friends are constantly being stopped for pictures. People here even go as far as to touch their hair! To them, it's a real oddity.

I had to chuckle when I read this, my daughter is in Beijing now, she is working for Disney English. She has really curly light brown hair and she said that a couple of times on the subway people have touched her hair and played with the curls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter