Back from Southwest Splendors! - Final thoughts

Thanks for posting! We’re taking this adventure next June, and can’t wait to hear more of your trip report!

At 4:30 PM, we pulled into the parking lot at Mather Point in the Grand Cyn. We knew we had really arrived -- a huge elk (real, not Disney real!) was just a few steps from where the bus was stopped. After a bathroom break, we got ready for our first view of the canyon. (My husband, son and I had not seen it before.) If you've read any of the prior trip reports, you know that the ABD guides have their own special process for this first viewing. Diana and Peyton lined us up, asking that we keep our eyes on our feet, and then they slowly led us over to the railing. How they found enough railing at this time of the day in a crowded park for 39 people is just another example of Disney magic!) Then, 3--2--1--look!

DSCN3712.jpg

Wow. Big but somehow not as impressive as the dramatic red rocks against the bright blue sky that we left behind in Sedona. In fact, it looked so much like a movie backdrop. (Foreshadowing -- afternoon light is really flat. The GC was much more impressive viewed in early morning or early evening light, which thanks to our accommodations right on the Rim, we had a chance to experience.)

thumb_IMG_1604_1024.jpg

Next stop -- Thunderbird Lodge! Ok, I have read a lot about this hotel. That it is basically a motel. I didn't care. The reason I chose ABD over any other company is that they are the only ones that stay right in the canyon. I was all about staying on the Rim -- and I was right!

Room was fine. For a fairly old hotel that hadn't been updated, everything seemed clean, fresh and in good repair. AC worked fine AND, we had a view of the canyon right from our window. I was pretty much in heaven. We had an hour or two to relax before dinner.

When we emerged from our room later, the light in the canyon had changed -- showing off much more dimension in the rocks -- it was much more beautiful.

thumb_IMG_1725_1024.jpg

Dinner that night was upstairs in a meeting room in the T'bird Lodge. Buffet food was adequate. Entertainment and cultural information was provided by two Native American dancers. They were interesting -- especially regarding the Navajo Codetalkers from WW II -- and the dancing was fun to watch.

After, my husband and I walked along the rim. The sky was beautiful -- a deep, dark blue.

thumb_IMG_1662_1024.jpg

We met up with our son back at the room. Comfy bed and pillows and an early night since we were planning for another 4:30 wake up -- sunrise in the GC!

Day 4

4:30 AM comes early. As we threw on clothes, I opened the curtains and had an amazing view as the color began creeping into the morning sky.

thumb_DSC03066_1024.jpg

Totally worth getting up for this! There were fewer than 20 people out on the rim -- compared to the crowd in the afternoon that is similar to an afternoon at Disneyland.

thumb_DSC03083_1024.jpg

It was quiet and peaceful -- the perfect way to experience such and impressive and inspiring site. We watched as the sun rose, then returned to our room to wake the teenager.

thumb_DSC03064_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC03073_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC03118_1024.jpg

I looked forward to my first view of the El Tovar -- one of the classic national parks lodges. It did not disappoint!

thumb_DSC03120_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC03121_1024.jpg

When the dining room opened at 6:30 AM, we were ready. We ordered the signature prime rib hash and potatoes. It was fantastic.

I am loving your pictures!!! We did an extended family trip on our own to Sedona and the Grand Canyon during Summer 2014 - 6 days in Sedona, 3 in GC (stayed at El Tovar), 1 in Phoenix. In Sedona we stayed at Arroyo Roble Resort, while other family members stayed at the Wyndham Sedona. We got to enjoy the amenitites at both properties.

We flew into Phoenix and went straight to Sedona. We stayed there for 6 days. Saw Montezuma's Castle, Montezuma's Well, Tuzigoot, Pink Jeep Tour of Broken Arrow trail, tubing trip on Verde River, swam at Buddha Beach, Golf, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Chuckwagon Cowboy Dinner at Blazin' M Ranch (superfun!!!!). In Sedona I also recommend dining at the Coffee Pot, Javelina Café, the Widflower Bread Company (similar to a Panera)

Then we drove to the GC. On the way we checked out Oak Creek Canyon, lunched in Flagstaff, Walnut Canyon ruins, Sunset Crater, Wupatki ruins. We went in the Desert View entrance of the GC, so we could see the view from there and climb the watchtower. Then we made our way to El Tovar for the night. We stayed in GC for 2 nights and took advantage of as many Ranger talks as we could. We really enjoyed drinking Grand Canyon Mules (Moscow Mules) and other cocktails on the porch of El Tovar each afternoon in those delightful rocking chairs! We ate breakfasts at the Maswik food court each morning and had dinners at both the Bright Angel Lodge and the El Tovar dining room.

On the way back, we spent 1 night in Phoenix and explored the city. It was a GREAT trip!

Two family favorites:
Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour - There are other jeep companies, but Pink Jeep is the only one with access to this trail. It is sooooo worth it!

Blazin' M Cowboy Cookout & show- This is actually in Cottonwood. We toured some ruins during the day and hit Blazin' M on our way back to Sedona. The whole family ages 7 to 78 LOVED Blazin' M., especially the mock calf roping and shooting gallery, the music, the little western town activities, and they thought the food was pretty good too.

We did an extended family trip on our own to Sedona and the Grand Canyon during Summer 2014 - 6 days in Sedona, 3 in GC (stayed at El Tovar), 1 in Phoenix. In Sedona we stayed at Arroyo Roble Resort, while other family members stayed at the Wyndham Sedona. We got to enjoy the amenitites at both properties.

You've laid out an amazing itinerary! If I ever go back, I will use this for planning. Also, I noticed that the NYT article mentioned some of the same places as you -- like the Coffee Pot and the Javalina Cafe.

We were on the Southwest Splendors tour 6/4-6/11 and it was awesome! We had great guides (Tiffany Z and Doug L). Our group was quite small -- only 22 guest, with 6 of them being children (4 boys - 12, 12, 11, 9 and2 girls - 15, 7). The small group was really nice and everyone on our tour was on time for everything. The accommodations were awesome. The meals were hit or miss -- a lot of hamburgers. We loved all of the Native American presentations and Preston was great at Monument Valley! We totally loved the "reveal" at Mathur Point! Our guides threw in a few early AM hikes, which we took advantage of. They had stargazing at Enchantment Resort in Sedona when we were there, which my 12 year old son loved. The two presenters were astronomy geeks and very informative. Staying on the edge of the South Rim was definitely a highlight of the trip. Some posters who have done the trip previously have questioned the stay at Gouldings, but we really liked the private cottages and the location. Overall, we would highly recommend this tour to anyone. We actually went out 3 days prior to the tour (which started on a Monday) and drove up to Zion National Park and returned through Vegas and the Hoover Dam. Zion was wonderful and we wish ABD had a tour that included that park and Bryce!

Last edited:

How lucky you were to have such a small group! And the stargazing -- that sounds amazing.
We would also be interested in a trip that includes Zion and Bryce. They are next on our list.

This brings back memories for me. I remember my first view of the Grand Canyon and being underwhelmed. I also remember appreciating it more the next morning. I never realized the difference in light accounted for that.

Day 4 (con't)
We had an 830 call for our tour this morning. As we loaded onto the bus, we met our first step-on guide, Andrew, who worked for Pink Jeep Tours. He was a fantastic guide, with an encyclopedic knowledge of the GC. Our first stop was Grandview and who ever named it, was not kidding. The view was totally different from Mather Point and GC Village. Originally developed as a place for vacationers, a hotel was built to accommodate the people who traveled 12 hrs by stagecoach to reach the GC.

thumb_IMG_1711_1024.jpg

DSCN3757.jpg
Years later, when the train came through to the GC and people could reach it in 2 1/2 hrs instead of 12, Grandview's popular waned. The train stopped in the village area so visitors began staying at El Tovar instead. Ownership of Grandview passed to William R. Hearst.

My notes are a little sketchy here but it looks like after Grandview, we traveled to the Tower -- for a slightly different view. Climbing the 81 steps to the top is optional (we did it!).

thumb_IMG_1676_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1712_1024 copy.jpg

This was such an enjoyable morning! We beat the crowds to these beautiful spots and were able to leave GC Village during prime time -- when tour buses filled the place.

It was now approaching lunch and we were offered an optional tour, led by Andrew, along the Rim and focused on geology of the park. Andrew was a great guide but by now I knew all that I wanted to about geology and wished I had just headed back to the village for lunch. We had a bit of a tight turnaround because Diana and Peyton were leading a group on a hike below the Rim, starting at 2:30.

Thousands and thousands of people visit the GC each day and they all want to eat lunch in the Village between 11:30 and 1:30 so all the restaurants are jammed. We waited about 35 mins for Harvey House. Food was adequate. We finished in time to return to the room for a few mins and then gather for the hike.

Attachments

• DSCN3757.jpg
    DSCN3757.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 3
Day 4 (con't 2.0)
Long day, huh!
Okay, one of my goals was to hike below the rim. 95% of the thousands of visitors to the GC never do and I wanted to be part of the other 5%. At the appointed time, a huge group of us headed down Bright Angel Trail. The plan was to hike down 1 mile and then turn back. And that's what we did. Again, this vantage provided a totally different view -- being up-close and personal with the limestone and shale walls of the canyon.

When we eventually got to the 1 mile point, we learned that a group of 5 teenagers (including our's) had kept hiking down into the canyon. We found that -- as expected -- hiking out was harder than hiking in, especially with the sun and heat. When we finally got back to the Rim -- ice cream! We climbed out around 4 PM. Our son and 2 more teens made it out at 6. The last one continued on when the other's turned back. He didn't climb out until 8 PM!

If you have older kids, who may want to break off from the group, you may want to make a plan about how far they go and how much longer climbing out takes than climbing in. Also, be sure they carry plenty of water.

I had made reservations 30 days out to have dinner in the El Tovar. I wish I could say I loved it but it was just okay. Breakfast was way better (and included in the ABD).

thumb_IMG_1731_1024.jpg

We left the dining room about 8. Our son headed back to the room and my husband and I enjoyed the sunset. It was the most spectacular of the trip. Staff were coming out of the El Tovar kitchen to take photos!

thumb_IMG_1736_1024 copy.jpg

thumb_DSC_0197_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC_0203_1024.jpg

Sorry for the long lag. There is always so much to catch up on when you've been away. Then planning for a work trip. And now, I'm back!

Day 5
Another early morning -- breakfast at 6:30, service was slow, then on the bus by 8:30. Three hours to Monument Valley! Time passed quickly thanks to a quiz arranged by our fabulous guides, Diana and Peyton. It didn't seem long before we arrived at Goulding's for lunch. Our group had preordered -- I chose a hamburger, one of many on this trip. After a long wait, the burger arrived with a piece of cold, unmelted American cheese on top. My husband's and my son's food was of similar quality and tastiness.

Before I continue, let me say that Monument Valley is extraordinary. Unlike any place you have been. We absolutely loved the experience of seeing the structures and the terrain. The landscape is otherworldly while at the same time, you feel like you have wandered onto a movie set. After lunch, we were headed to a native American led tour. The bar had been set high by the fantastic step on guide we had at the Grand Cyn so we were really looking forward to learning more about the monuments. Our group loaded onto 2 open trucks with seats. People in older TRs complained about dust, which is why we were all issued bandanas to tie over our nose and mouth and screen out the dust, but we didn't find it to be much of an issue.

DSCN3774.jpg

For the first 30 minutes, we drove by the magnificent structures while our guide narrated by telling us which actors he had met and which he hadn't met when they were in MV shooting movies. Trying to get him back on track, I asked a question -- what created all the round holes in the structures? "Nature," he said, then returned to his monologue about actors, etc.

thumb_IMG_1830_1024.jpg

We made several stops and had family photos taken by our delightful guides. What a great perk!
thumb_IMG_1804_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1805_1024.jpg
We returned to Goulding's, we were also staying here, there aren't a lot of options in this area -- and got assigned our rooms. They were quirky! Each family/group was assigned a little manufactured home. We liked it -- there's was plenty of room for the 3 of us to spread out with a living room/kitchen, a partitioned off sleeping area and then a separate bedroom and a bathroom. Dinner that night was a Navajo cookout. Unfortunately, this sounded a lot better than it actually was. Dinner was followed by native singers performing under the stars. Again, reviews were mixed. Warning: if you are someone who likes an adult beverage at night when you are on vacation, you won't find it at Goulding's so plan accordingly. Once we were back at our room, we (along with many others) walked to the nearby minimart hoping to find wine/beer and snacks but left with just the snacks. But, seeing the monuments at night without the heat, rising up so close by, was a real treat.

Last edited:
Day 6

Goulding's breakfast buffet was better than their lunch but still not quite what we expected given the price of the trip. After, we loaded into the bus and headed to Red Cliffs Lodge in Moab. Another 3 hour drive. To those who are concerned about the bus time, it went by very quickly. This trip is so active, it was great to have a little down time to read, nap or just relax and stare out the window. Diana and Peyton led a rousing game of Jeopardy that was enjoyed by everyone from 5th grade up as well as trivia for the younger kids. Plus, lots of snacks. No one got ratty, which I really attribute to their skill at keeping everyone happy. They did a very good job.

Upon arrival at Red Cliffs Lodge, we were ushered into a BBQ buffet where I had yet another hamburger. Then those who weren't already in rafting clothes, had a chance to change in the spa area (we didn't yet have access to our rooms).

The rafting trip was a ton of fun. Very few 'rapids' so really more of a float trip but totally enjoyable. We laughed, we splashed and some people jumped in and then got hauled out of the Colorado River. Rafting, along with the Grand Cyn, are probably the centerpieces of this trip. It did not disappoint.

DSCN4123.jpg

DSCN4203.jpg

thumb_IMG_1843_1024.jpg Day 6 - continued

Even though our son is 14, he opted to join the young adventurers that night, so he could be with his friends. We did different things but all enjoyed ourselves, which seems a great aspect of group travel.

Dinner that night was hosted by Disney, but we got to make a reservation at the restaurant and order off the menu. Why couldn't there by more dinner's like this?

Views at the restaurant were amazing -- the river, the red rocks, eating out on the porch on a warm evening -- really magical.

Day 7

We had an 8 AM call, so breakfast was early (a so-so buffet) and then we loaded onto the bus and headed for Arches National Park. This was the only morning I wasn't leaping out of bed, ready to go. Maybe the early mornings had caught up with me. In any case, I was a little late to breakfast so wasn't able to get my full daily dose of caffeine and felt a little sluggish all day. En route to Arches, we picked up our step on guide, Preston. The plan was that anyone who wanted to hike to Delicate Arch would be dropped off to begin the 3 mile hike and the rest would take a bus tour of the arches. Given how I was feeling, I opted for the bus tour -- as did my husband who seemed to be feeling the effects of dehydration -- and our son went on the hike. He was glad he did.

thumb_IMG_1861_1024.jpg

DSCN1760.jpg

DSCN1754.jpg

After the hike, we went into town for a lunch OYO. It worked out fine and it was actually a nice alternative -- to poke around town and decide what you felt like eating. We ended up at a food truck that specialized in quesadillas. Very tasty!

For the afternoon, we were given options to either hang out at the resort, go horseback riding (additional fee) or go UTVing (also an additional fee). My son didn't want to go UTVing unless he could drive (he couldn't, you need a DL) so he and my husband went back to the lodge and I went UTVing! (Pricey but so fun!)

[When he got back to the lodge, my husband slept the rest of the day -- I think it was dehydration. Keep in mind that even if you aren't exerting yourself, in a high, dry climate like this one, you lose a lot of moisture through your skin and just by breathing so be sure to drink water frequently.]

We picked up the UTVs in town and were brought to a remote location to ride. Unfortunately, the van I was in had no AC and eventually broke down entirely. Of course there is no cell service. Eventually, someone from the company realized we were missing and went to look for us. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to spot a van carting a load of UTVs broken down on the side of the road. : )

thumb_IMG_1881_1024.jpg

A multimillion dollar ranch that we had the good fortune to pass by. Who knew the desert could be so lu$h?

thumb_IMG_1889_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1888_1024.jpg

Day 7 continued

As previous TRs have mentioned, after UTVing, you will be filthy!

DSCN4253.jpg

DSCN4259.jpg

My husband nearly slept through the farewell dinner. It took a while to rouse him so we ran a little late. Luckily, he was feeling much better post nap so we were all able to enjoy the steak BBQ.

After, there were toasted marshmallows and a cowboy crooner. He was actually very good and it seemed like everyone enjoyed the entertainment.

thumb_IMG_1906_1024.jpg

We were sad to see the evening, and our trip, come to an end.

thumb_IMG_1904_1024.jpg

I will be posting about Day 8 -- our travel day -- and my thoughts about our first group travel experience (and our first ABD!).
Thoughts? Impressions? Will they do it again?
Stay tuned!

I appreciate reading about the overnight stay in Monument Valley. We were wondering how that experienced worked out. Having done 3 nights at the Red Cliffs Lodge on the previous itinerary, I would rather see them add an extra day to include that third night at RCL. It provided us with a more relaxed feeling being in one location for that length of time.

I appreciate reading about the overnight stay in Monument Valley. We were wondering how that experienced worked out. Having done 3 nights at the Red Cliffs Lodge on the previous itinerary, I would rather see them add an extra day to include that third night at RCL. It provided us with a more relaxed feeling being in one location for that length of time.

I agree. We would have preferred the additional night at RCL. There just isn’t the infrastructure (restaurants, hotels, activities) to support a successful day and night in MV.

I agree also for additional night at RCL. There is no alcohol sold nor allowed on the Goulding’s site for it is on an American Indian reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter