Backpacks

travelgirl71

Earning My Ears
Do you take a backpack into the parks? If so, are they allowed on rides? What do you pack for the day?

I have purchased one with an insulated section to take water, sodas etc, but I’m reconsidering now.

What do you all do?

Do you take a backpack into the parks? If so, are they allowed on rides? What do you pack for the day?

I have purchased one with an insulated section to take water, sodas etc, but I’m reconsidering now.

What do you all do?
Go ahead and take it if you like, make sure that it fights tight and isn't loose though. I believe that it's allowed on most rides.

1. Do you take a backpack into the parks?
2. If so, are they allowed on rides?
3.What do you pack for the day?

What do you all do?
1. No
2. Yes they're allowed on rides
3. ID, credit card, phone, $20, a small tube of sunscreen, and sunglasses. If it doesn't fit in my pockets, I don't need it.

FYI, you can get free water at every counter service location.

What do you all do?

I carry a wristlet but don't know if backpacks are allowed on rides. In my wristlet I've a credit card of two, a little cash, gov't issued ID, a mini bottle of sunscreen courtesy of the resort's toiletries, a mosquito wipe also from the hotel, a tube of lipgloss, and a Mophie cased cellphone so I don't need to carry a separate battery. For inclement weather I've a folding umbrella that fits in the bag.So nice to whizz through the security points.

We used to carry bottles of water but it was "too heavy" and now we just drink cups of cold water from the various free water dispensers throughout the parks.

I always take a backpack and have brought it on every ride. I like to put my leg through the loop on the thrill rides for my own peace of mind. Keep in mind that an insulated section will add weight (and volume) to the backpack. The more stuff you have, the more difficult it will be to shove at your feet, especially on some of the roller coasters. Space Mountain is particularly difficult.

Everyone's essentials are different, but here's what I like to bring: phone, portable charger, sunglasses, sunscreen, light sweatshirt because I'm usually cold during indoor meals, poncho if possibility of extended rain, drivers license, credit card. I will often bring an insulated water bottle because I like to drink lots and often - I will fill it up with water from CS restaurants. But it is heavy. When we travel in July/August sometimes I'll bring a Frogg Togg or a small battery fan, but that's been less necessary as the kids have gotten older because they can handle the heat better now.

Backpacks are allowed ... any bags mean a lot longer line at security. Once my kids were out of diapers I pretty much quit carrying anything outside of a small crossbody purse for my phones. Everything else you need, you can buy inside the parks. I know not everyone has the money to do that ... but depending on your situation I would really sit down and think "is it worth it" to lug around a huge backpack all day.

What do you all do?

I’m a tote bag kinda gal. :goodvibes

The roller coasters will have a pouch available but it’s small. On 7D, I loop one ankle around my bag strap and hold the bag between my ankles. On Star Tours, the pouch under the seat is very small. I can never get my bag out quickly without holding up the line. I prefer to hand it off to a family member if they’re not riding. For Soarin, I just leave it on the floor in the boxed off square for large bags and backpacks. It’s again a small net pouch under the seat.

I’d recommend avoiding the insulated compartment. We gave up on the coolers when my kids outgrew strollers. Now we use two stainless steel insulated water bottles that keep water cold for hours.

We always bring a backpack. It fits on the rides no problem. However, Soarin it needs to be left on the ground and FoP is goes in a bin behind the ride. In it we carry snacks, water, camera, medicine, etc.

We carry a Camelbak RimRunner backpack. Inside it is the water container, rain jackets, whatever nicknack we are getting signed by characters this trip, sharpies, and band-aids/blister/first aid.

I know you can get water from booths, but I've found it much easier not to have to stop down, find a food booth, and wait in line every time I'm thirsty.

During rides my wife puts the backpack at her feet. During coasters we wrap one strap of the bag around her leg. None of the Disney rides are so extreme you really have to be too worried.

I usually travel in the spring and fall and I get chilly so I almost always have a backpack with a light sweatshirt. Used to bring my camera with me but I try to carry as little as possible, sweatshirt, phone, charger, sun screen, lotion for skin issues and band aids. I'll have a water bottle but I won't carry extra water or drinks because they can get heavy.

I always put my leg through a strap of the backpack when on rollercoasters just in case, and especially on Dinosaur because we've had a backpack fall off the side in Dinosaur!!

does a wristlet for a phone have to go thru security, is it considered a bag? it's really just a wallet on a string...

I always bring a backpack into the parks
I bring it on every ride with me, I am a large and tall girl and can still fit the bag safely in ride vehicles with me.
In my bag I pack: reusable thermal bottle (a lifesaver), my wallet, a small clear reusable bag with some essentials (like extra hair ties, Advil, blister band aids, etc), a hat, sunglasses
sometimes: pins, an extra shirt if we are doing a nice dinner, a poncho or umbrella

We take the light drawstring bag that I wear. We just take a few light things as I don't like a bunch of stuff in my pockets. Usually, a small sunscreen, a couple ponchos, a few bandaids, tylenol/advil, and maybe a couple more small things.

I used to take a draw string bag with me but then tried out one of the newer material rip stop light weight back packs, similar size but so much more comfortable to wear and can be rolled up into a convenient pocket if you don't need it. Cheap, offers good storage, robust actually considering how light it is, and the wider straps and design make it easier to carry things. I got mine on Amazon for like $10 or something:

cr6Ox2iD19rWFolcXR2FxntFqU1E7CCPy7UuriUG6qzpFvH-lp1rYAzIMJtDpCp_m3q8K8Ioe89RX3GDWyKYpTIzh4Ti6gHcfcO0-Sp61wZfSk0Dupa4tLO56rRYR1PkkoVstBywVpQ=w2400

I’m a tote bag kinda gal. :goodvibes

The roller coasters will have a pouch available but it’s small. On 7D, I loop one ankle around my bag strap and hold the bag between my ankles. On Star Tours, the pouch under the seat is very small. I can never get my bag out quickly without holding up the line. I prefer to hand it off to a family member if they’re not riding. For Soarin, I just leave it on the floor in the boxed off square for large bags and backpacks. It’s again a small net pouch under the seat.

I’d recommend avoiding the insulated compartment. We gave up on the coolers when my kids outgrew strollers. Now we use two stainless steel insulated water bottles that keep water cold for hours.
Thank you, I wondered how this would work! I am also a tote bag kind of gal :)

Update.... my daughter carried her small backpack with her thermos and whatever snack she was munching (cotton candy usually). Mr. Man carried a Kavu sling with sunscreen, battery charger, meds, and a couple bottles of water (we didn’t take water the first day and spent at least $50 on water). The sling was perfect for holding the popcorn bucket. I carried my small Brighton crossbody. We had everything we needed without being loaded down.

Thanks for the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!