Banking/Borrowing/Canceling

TeeKo

Mouseketeer
Hello Smart DVC brains,
Could you please help me work through the logistics? I am trying to gift a Disney DVC room for a friend to use with her family. This is to celebrate completion of treatments for her health so there is a small chance of needing to cancel or postpone. Has school aged children so looking at when school is out of session. Looking to book a 2 bedroom for one week. She would like to schedule for May 2020. However, may consider June or July also.

I have home resort at AKV with UY June.
I have 140 points from 2019 that can be banked.
I have 330 points for June 2020
I know I have enough points. If they have to cancel (would do this before 30 days), I would get back the points but have to use them by what deadline?
Thank you for any clarification, advise, pitfalls to avoid!

If you book for the May, 2020 time frame, then have to cancel, they would have to be used before May 31, 2020. you could not cancel in May and then bank those points into the June 2020 UY.
If you bank the 2019 UY points to 2020, then book after June 1, 2020; you would have to use the banked points before May 31, 2021 and could bank or use the June 2020 UY points.

Last edited:
The plan will be dramatically easier if you book for the beginning of June! If you book in May and have to cancel it’s going to be a hassle and could result in borrowed 2020 points being lost.

Traveling in May with a June UY is the absolute worst if you had to cancel or even just change

Everything expires on May 31st if you cancel outside your banking window, which is January 31st.

For a May 2020 trip, since it’s in your 2019 UY, you could used the 2019 points..do not bank them..and borrow from 2020 UY.
if you had to cancel/change the trip, any of those borrowed points would expire May 31st, 2020. The 2019 points would be eligible for banking as long as it was before January 31st, 2020.

Now, if the decided to go in June or July 2020, then you can bank the 2019 points and use up as much as the 2020 you need. If you needed to cancel or change this trip at least 31 days in advance, you would have all the way until May 31st to use up the banked 2019 points. And there would be no chance of loss of 2020 points as those are not borrowed anymore.

So, in essence, you’d risk a lot booking May 2020.

Traveling in May with a June UY is the absolute worst if you had to cancel or even just change

Everything expires on May 31st if you cancel outside your banking window, which is January 31st.

For a May 2020 trip, since it’s in your 2019 UY, you could used the 2019 points..do not bank them..and borrow from 2020 UY.
if you had to cancel/change the trip, any of those borrowed points would expire May 31st, 2020. The 2019 points would be eligible for banking as long as it was before January 31st, 2020.

Now, if the decided to go in June or July 2020, then you can bank the 2019 points and use up as much as the 2020 you need. If you needed to cancel or change this trip at least 31 days in advance, you would have all the way until May 31st to use up the banked 2019 points. And there would be no chance of loss of 2020 points as those are not borrowed anymore.

So, in essence, you’d risk a lot booking May 2020.

Thank you all for answering my question. It sounds like June 2020 really is the lowest pressure way to go. Thank you so much.
I knew you Disers would have the answer!

With a June UY, a May 2020 trip falls in your 2019 June UY. So you don't want to bank any June 2019 points. A June 2020 trip falls in your June 2020 UY and you would need to bank your June 2019 points for that reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!