Barca33Runner's Journal: Thanks For Noticin' Me(Comments Welcome)

I think I’m going to start using Wednesday to list 5 songs that I enjoy/am enjoying on my runs. It might add a little structure to the journal and something to break a little of the monotony. As is pretty evident, I’m almost as bad at posting about my training as I am at actually following a training plan.

Music is, of course, subjective. I am the same as most people, my musical taste is unimpeachable to this limited audience of one. Most may find it easier to believe that I am tone deaf. With that disclaimer, and in no particular order, here are five songs I’m liking on my runs right now:

Clearest Blue by Chvrches- As with most of the songs I’ll list, I generally like this artist. Clearest Blue has a nice build, so it works well on my runs.

Little of Your Love by Haim-This song just has a fun and upbeat rhythm to it.

Anastasia by Slash- I like when Slash plays the guitar.

Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks- I like when Stevie Nicks sings.

Lies of Serpents, A River of Tears by Zao- One of my favorite bands growing up. It’s metalcore, which is a very acquired taste. What mixes better than Disney and metal?

Anyway, I guess I probably should include a Disney song every week just to keep a little more on topic. I guess I’ll start that next week.

I saw Haim open for Taylor Swift once (ugh, don't judge me, I went with a friend) and I really liked them. They've got some great songs to run to.

Just a quick check-in again tonight. I'm feeling really nervous about my Half next Saturday, but I know I'll be better for completing it regardless of time. Working again Saturday, so it'll be an extra day this week waking up early.

If you have the will power to wake up early so much then you have the will power to get those 13.1 next Sat :) You got this!

I saw Haim open for Taylor Swift once (ugh, don't judge me, I went with a friend) and I really liked them. They've got some great songs to run to.

Um, I’m pretty sure sanctimoniously judging people from afar is why the Internet was invented. :D

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I’ll will my way through it, but it’s going to be more difficult than any race I’ve run in a long time.

Oops, forgot to post yesterday. Another 11-hour workday on Saturday and was a little wiped after a long week when I got home. Fortunately, Ohio State managed to turn around their comedy of errors and picked up a win. I probably would've been in a much worse mood today if they hadn't. I wish sports didn't have that sort of effect on me (or, in the full recognition that they do, that I had picked teams that win a little more than Cleveland).

Anyway, with just about 2 months until I head to Disney World I am excited to finish my best Dopey training cycle yet and to arrive more prepared to enjoy the races than ever. That is the goal, I know it's achievable, it's time to finish things the right way for once.

Hope everyone had a great week.

UGH, working 11 hours on Saturday does NOT sound fun. Glad Ohio State won and cheered you up though. Happy to read that you are feeling confident again for your training. You can absolutely have a great training cycle.

Normally I would be tapering now, but I certainly haven’t earned that respite and my half this weekend is just a training exercise. I am hoping to come in under 2:45, but I’ll be happy just finishing at this point.

I’ve never been the type of runner to whom anything feels “easy” so I’m targeting 12-13 minute miles and hope they don’t feel too hellish. Even when I was in better shape I felt like I tired just as quickly running 12-minute miles as I did running 9-minutes. I’m not sure if this is a weird me thing or what, but I’ve also noticed that my HR ticks above 150 basically the second I stop walking regardless of how difficult the effort should be. (ETA-My experience with my HR is that I’ve got 70 and below and 150 and above, I spend almost no time in the zone between those numbers regardless of what I try) I’ve probably just never actually been in anything approaching decent shape and I’m just worse now. :confused3

A lot of work to be done in the next couple months, but I know I can get there.

I’ve never been the type of runner to whom anything feels “easy” so I’m targeting 12-13 minute miles and hope they don’t feel too hellish. Even when I was in better shape I felt like I tired just as quickly running 12-minute miles as I did running 9-minutes. I’m not sure if this is a weird me thing or what, but I’ve also noticed that my HR ticks above 150 basically the second I stop walking regardless of how difficult the effort should be. (ETA-My experience with my HR is that I’ve got 70 and below and 150 and above, I spend almost no time in the zone between those numbers regardless of what I try) I’ve probably just never actually been in anything approaching decent shape and I’m just worse now. :confused3

If a 2:45 HM is current fitness, then I'd have your easy paces at 14-15 min/mile. Have you ever run those paces and seen your HR in the 150s as well? It could certainly be possible that you have a really high maxHR. I know a ~50 year old male in Texas whose maxHR is in the 200s.

A lot of work to be done in the next couple months, but I know I can get there.

You can do it!

If a 2:45 HM is current fitness, then I'd have your easy paces at 14-15 min/mile. Have you ever run those paces and seen your HR in the 150s as well? It could certainly be possible that you have a really high maxHR. I know a ~50 year old male in Texas whose maxHR is in the 200s.

It's entirely possible (actually probably near certain) that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and overestimate my level of fitness which leads me to puzzling results. I seemed to be making better progress when I understood less about what I thought I was doing (if that makes any sense). I think I started to believe I could think my way to better levels of fitness (work smarter not harder, you know?) and pretty much fooled myself into being lazy. I think if I am realistic with myself that I can make my HR numbers make a little more sense, but I am going to forget about them for a little while and maybe come back after I get the basics of my training righted.

You can do it!

Thanks. I see so many success stories on here and it really weighs on me (no pun intended) that mine hasn't been a success story in my eyes for a few years. I'm still in a better place than where I started but I've definitely taken a few steps backward. I'm just happy to be headed back in the right direction.

Just doin cross-training the next couple days on the elliptical to keep the legs loose and minimize impact before my Half. Hopefully I can keep my expectations in check and treat it like the training run it should be.

All packed for Indy. Leaving work a little early tomorrow for the Expo. It's certainly much more fun doing a Disney race weekend, but I enjoy spending a couple days in downtown Indy as well. I need to get my race finished so I can feel good about my last real meal for a couple months at my favorite Greek place in Indianapolis. After this weekend It will be chicken breast and veggies to try and get some pounds off as I get in better shape for Dopey.

Finished in 2:40. Nothing to write home about, but right in line with what I wanted to accomplish. My current lack of endurance really showed in the second half of the race. Definitely something to improve in the next couple months.

ETA: Thanks to everyone following along for all of the support. I probably would have skipped the race without a place to put my thoughts and the extra motivation you’ve all supplied.

Congrats on your finish. I had no doubts you’d do great. It’s tough making yourself keep going when you’ve gotten behind on training. Great job with your renewed focus and on finishing out a race you weren’t even sure you’d do not too long ago. Onward and upward.

Had a great day in Indianapolis after the race yesterday. We ate a gigantic Greek lunch with dolmades, moussaka, pastitsio, saganaki, fried eggplant, gyro, and a few other things. We ordered wayyyyy too much; but I knew my sister was leaving that night and I love Greek food, so I planned out which stuff to take back to the hotel and have for dinner since I wasn't going to go back out on my own after she left. It worked out well.

We went back to the hotel to drop off the leftovers and then went to see Thor: Ragnarok before she left. Seeing a movie after this race is kind of a tradition for us as well. I don't really follow the Marvel Universe, but it had been getting good reviews and there wasn't much else showing so that's what we settled on. It was really entertaining and very funny. For anyone looking at going to see it, you don't need any background information. Exactly what I was looking for in a movie, just a good bit of fun.

Today, I am somewhat preposterously sore. I knew my legs wouldn't be happy, but my core is providing me some shame. I guess I need to mix in some core workouts over the next couple months to be ready for Dopey.

Congrats on a solid race - sounds like a fun weekend overall.

As a Penn Stare fan, I will hold my comments related to your posts last weekend :headache:

Congrats on a solid race - sounds like a fun weekend overall.

As a Penn Stare fan, I will hold my comments related to your posts last weekend :headache:

I took Saturday off from college football. I’m just going to pretend nothing happened in that world on Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts