Barcelona--Port back to airport

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
1. Taxi the fastest way??

2. Arriving at the airport, should we go to the general United counter, or directly to the International terminal--where United has a counter, we go through security there, etc.?

Arriving at the airport, should we go to the general United counter, or directly to the International terminal--where United has a counter, we go through security there, etc.?
We only flew into BCN so I'm not 100% sure on departure, but it would seem to me that you would go directly to the International Terminal when you leave. There is quite a distance between the two terminals and I doubt there would be a reason to go to the domestic counter unless you were flying to a destination within the EU.

If you were to do the walk off as early as possibly, would you make it to the plane by 9:30?

We have always stayed in Barcelona post cruise so not sure. Hopefully someone else here can help you with that but I do think it would be cutting it close.

If you were to do the walk off as early as possibly, would you make it to the plane by 9:30?
DCL recommends not booking anything before 11:30. Considering they are operating out of a terminal they do not control, I would strictly follow their recommendation. Do not forget that the local authorities need to clear the ship before the first guests can disembark.

We walked off as late as we could, around 830, and we were checking in at the airport by 905. Security was not that long and it did not take us long to get to the terminal. However, I would use caution because you just don’t know what will happen on the day that you fly. Also we were flying from Barcelona to Switzerland so we were not dealing with flights outside of Europe.

We walked off as late as we could, around 830, and we were checking in at the airport by 905. Security was not that long and it did not take us long to get to the terminal. However, I would use caution because you just don’t know what will happen on the day that you fly. Also we were flying from Barcelona to Switzerland so we were not dealing with flights outside of Europe.
Thanks. We plan on getting off the ship when it opens. Usually around 7. I hear the taxi is only about a 30 min drive. We have no bags to check so hopefully we will be ok.

1. Taxi the fastest way??

2. Arriving at the airport, should we go to the general United counter, or directly to the International terminal--where United has a counter, we go through security there, etc.?

Go to the United check in counter to check in and drop of your bags, then through security. Unless you need to arrange something about your ticket, you just go to check in.

What does United advise how far in advance you have to check in and drop off your bags for an international flight? I think the general advice for Europe to US is to be at the airport at least 2 hours before departure. To the US there can be additional checks at the gate.

Could it be shorter? Probably, but at your own risk.

Go to the United check in counter to check in and drop of your bags, then through security. Unless you need to arrange something about your ticket, you just go to check in.

What does United advise how far in advance you have to check in and drop off your bags for an international flight? I think the general advice for Europe to US is to be at the airport at least 2 hours before departure. To the US there can be additional checks at the gate.

We aren’t checking any bags.

We aren’t checking any bags.

Still, I would stick to what DCL and United both advise.
When you say you want to be at the airport by 9:30, does that mean your plane departs at 9:30? If yes, keep in mind that gates close at least 15 minutes before departure.

If you decide to try and it fails, make sure you have a back up plan, as in money to buy a new ticket. If you budget this in as your personal insurance, you could reduce some stress on your final day.
Other option: are you flying first class? These tickets are usually changeable (with or without fee) even after the plane has taken off. Other cabins usually require you to buy a whole new ticket if you are too late to board.

Last edited:

BUt my Q is--WHICH United check-in?? The general airport one or the International terminal one?? I believe some International terminals have their own baggage check in, security lines etc. I don't want to get dropped off at the wrong check in and then have a 3 mile hike to get to the correct one!

If you’re flying international it doesn’t make any sense that you would use go to a domestic terminal. I’m sure you can contact United for more definitive info or pull up a map of the Barcelona airport. We came into Barcelona years ago on a Disney Cruise. We were not able to get off until around 8 30 am and passport control took quite a while. We had a 12 30 plane and using Disney transfers to go to the airport and we got there after 10. And that made me nervous because I’m a worrier about flights and time. I would make myself nuts trying to make a 930 flight and probably wouldn’t sleep the night before. Not the way I would want to end a vacation. But good luck.

BUt my Q is--WHICH United check-in?? The general airport one or the International terminal one?? I believe some International terminals have their own baggage check in, security lines etc. I don't want to get dropped off at the wrong check in and then have a 3 mile hike to get to the correct one!
All international terminals have check-in counters. I’ve traveled internationally in dozens of airports and never have I had to switch terminals before check-in. If they move your gate, they’ll bring you there using internal transport, like a bus, a rail system or tunnels, but all inside the secure zone. The only reason you would go to the domestic terminal is if your first flight is domestic (including flying anywhere in Europe). In that context, you would need to pass the Schengen exit control using the connections zone at the second airport.

If you’re flying international it doesn’t make any sense that you would use go to a domestic terminal. I’m sure you can contact United for more definitive info or pull up a map of the Barcelona airport. We came into Barcelona years ago on a Disney Cruise. We were not able to get off until around 8 30 am and passport control took quite a while. We had a 12 30 plane and using Disney transfers to go to the airport and we got there after 10. And that made me nervous because I’m a worrier about flights and time. I would make myself nuts trying to make a 930 flight and probably wouldn’t sleep the night before. Not the way I would want to end a vacation. But good luck.

What is Passport Control?

Security or Customs. Where they check your passport.

Unless it's the homebase of an airline, an airline has all their facilities in one area. United does not operate European or domestic flights in Spain, so they will only be in the International section. https://www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/airlines.php

I've read that the lines at VAT refund are LONGER than security!!

As processing refunds is a much lengthier process than checking your travel papers.

Related question: Where at BCN do we deal with the VAT refunds?
https://www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/services_eng.php

VAT refund

If you wish to get your VAT refund, and you are a non UE resident, and spend at least € 90.15. In order to get refunded, you must count with the stamp in your invoice at the Guardia Civil police customs, which can be found in both Terminal T1 (floor 3) and Terminal T2B (floor 0). Opening hours: 24 hours. For further information, please call: +34 917 294 380 / +34 900 855 550.

Security or Customs. Where they check your passport.

Unless it's the homebase of an airline, an airline has all their facilities in one area. United does not operate European or domestic flights in Spain, so they will only be in the International section. https://www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/airlines.php

As processing refunds is a much lengthier process than checking your travel papers.

https://www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/services_eng.php

VAT refund

If you wish to get your VAT refund, and you are a non UE resident, and spend at least € 90.15. In order to get refunded, you must count with the stamp in your invoice at the Guardia Civil police customs, which can be found in both Terminal T1 (floor 3) and Terminal T2B (floor 0). Opening hours: 24 hours. For further information, please call: +34 917 294 380 / +34 900 855 550.
Fantastic, thanks!

All the mainland European countries (with some exceptions) share a free-movement zone called the Schengen zone. When it came into effect, the thousands of border control points inside Europe were closed.

When you enter or leave that zone, they verify your passport to see when you entered, if you stayed the allowed time or sometimes if you are targeted by a warrant. Be sure to enter the line for holders of non-European passports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!