Barcelona--Port back to airport

Thanks--Another hoop to jump through it appears--and I seem to recall that after leaving the ship there is no Customs(?) So there is a separate line at the airport for customs and yet another line for security? And another for Passports??

To exit the EU, you will go through passport control. Security checks are a separate thing. There is no customs exiting the EU, only entering.

You will go through immigration and customs when you enter the U.S.

To exit the EU, you will go through passport control. Security checks are a separate thing. There is no customs exiting the EU, only entering.

You will go through immigration and customs when you enter the U.S.
In some cases, you may clear U.S. immigration and customs prior to leaving Europe. For example, we flew from Barcelona to Chicago via Dublin on Aer Lingus last May after the EBTA cruise on the Magic. The Barcelona to Dublin flight was within the EU, so no passport control required. At the Dublin airport, we exited the EU zone through one passport control point and then cleared U.S. passport contol and customs through another control point. When we arrived in Chicago, we picked up our checked luggage and exited the airport to head directly home.

In some cases, you may clear U.S. immigration and customs prior to leaving Europe. For example, we flew from Barcelona to Chicago via Dublin on Aer Lingus last May after the EBTA cruise on the Magic. The Barcelona to Dublin flight was within the EU, so no passport control required. At the Dublin airport, we exited the EU zone through one passport control point and then cleared U.S. passport contol and customs through another control point. When we arrived in Chicago, we picked up our checked luggage and exited the airport to head directly home.

Well, yes, but my reply was to the OP, who, on a United flight, will be flying directly to the U.S.

BUt my Q is--WHICH United check-in?? The general airport one or the International terminal one?? I believe some International terminals have their own baggage check in, security lines etc. I don't want to get dropped off at the wrong check in and then have a 3 mile hike to get to the correct one!

Your ticket should state which terminal your flight leaves from. If not, search on the Barcelona Airport website. United Airlines departs from Terminal 1. https://www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/airlines/united-airlines

If you were to do the walk off as early as possibly, would you make it to the plane by 9:30?

I called DCL this week to discuss something similar - they said the ship actually arrives in the Barcelona port at 4:30am, so there should be plenty of time for the ship to be cleared ready for an early departure.

Obviously, things can happen and you never know, but just thought I'd add what Disney told me!

they said the ship actually arrives in the Barcelona port at 4:30am, so there should be plenty of time for the ship to be cleared ready for an early departure.
Why does the ship need to be cleared? Isn't it just coming from another EU country? I know when we did a 7-night Barcelona>Rome cruise last month there was no need to clear anything on arrival in Rome.

Thanks all for the response! I just found out our flight now leaves at Noon rather than 11:15--giving us extra time to jump through all the hoops at the Barcelona Airport.

I don't often use taxis, but that's how we got from the port to the airport in Barcelona. I don't remember much about it, so it must have been pretty painless.

Our flight left early in the afternoon. Around 12:30, if memory serves. We were at the airport waaaay early. This was a few years back, so I don't remember all the details, but I do remember sitting in the check-in area for ages and watching masses of people pay to have huge amounts of plastic wrapped around their suitcases. It was the first time I'd seen it, and it seemed to be very popular in Barcelona. I was (still am) totally baffled over why anyone would want to do that, and disturbed by the utter wastefulness of it. But I digress. We were sitting in the check-in area because we were so early that no gate had been assigned, so we had no place to go. Possibly check-in hadn't even opened for our flight, so we couldn't drop off our bags. Can't remember for sure. Unless something drastic happens to delay your disembarkation, you'll have plenty of time.

International terminal. I can't imagine why United would have a counter in a domestic terminal at an EU airport. As a US airline, they won't be allowed to operate flights that both originate and terminate in the EU. That said, you can probably just tell your taxi driver that you're flying with United, and (s)he will know where to take you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter