Barcelona

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
My family and I are booked for Barcelona short next July. I’m an obsessive planner and have a few questions regarding the itinerary. We arrive a day before the official start of the tour. I asked my TA and she said ABD does not book pre nights for this tour. They did say they will arrange transportation if we stay at the same hotel. I’m wondering if I should just go ahead with the same hotel or if I should look for something else for the one night.

Onto my specific questions... On the first day, what time is the welcome dinner? Also I was wondering if ABD watches the fountain show at Montjuic. I know it’s supposed to be 9:30 or 10:30 at night... Lastly, any suggestions on what to do on extra days that ABD does not cover? We have 3 extra days. So far, I was thinking of a food tour and a day tour to Costa Brava/ Girona?

Last edited:
Can’t speak to the hotel, but we did a Steel Donkey bike tour in Barcelona this summer. It was a nice, easy way to see a lot of the city and a lot of fun.

Can’t speak to the hotel, but we did a Steel Donkey bike tour in Barcelona this summer. It was a nice, easy way to see a lot of the city and a lot of fun.
Thanks! I do have a will be 6 year old with me so I’m not sure I can do that. I’ll look into it though! :)

My family and I are booked for Barcelona short next July. I’m an obsessive planner and have a few questions regarding the itinerary. We arrive a day before the official start of the tour. I asked my TA and she said ABD does not book pre nights for this tour. They did say they will arrange transportation if we stay at the same hotel. I’m wondering if I should just go ahead with the same hotel or if I should look for something else for the one night.

Onto my specific questions... On the first day, what time is the welcome dinner? Also I was wondering if ABD watches the fountain show at Montjuic. I know it’s supposed to be 9:30 or 10:30 at night... Lastly, any suggestions on what to do on extra days that ABD does not cover? We have 3 extra days. So far, I was thinking of a food tour and a day tour to Costa Brava/ Girona?

Whether or not you stay at the same hotel on your pre-night depends on whether you want to pay the price they are asking. It is very easy to change hotels—just get the doorman to get you a cab if you’re not close enough to walk with your luggage. If you haven’t already, I would suggest checking the prices for the date you need on the hotel website. If possible, ABD will try to keep you in the same room when the tour starts assuming it’s the same class of room. If you’re looking for a cheaper hotel, try looking at the TripAdvisor reviews for Barcelona to get ideas. I always stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel because it was close to the Passieg de Gràcia and used to be the pre/post hotel for the DCL Mediterranean cruises. Keep in mind that European hotels are very strict on room occupancy. They will only allow you to have the number of people in the room that is listed. If you have more, you will need to book a second room. When you do decide where you will stay, call ABD and let them know. They will put the information on your reservation so they know how to reach you if they need to before/after the tour begins/ends.

It is very easy to get transportation from the airport to your hotel. You can get a taxi from the taxi rank or book a shared or private ride using a site like Viator. If you decide to take a cab, make sure you have the hotel name and address written down on a sheet of paper. A lot of the cabbies don’t speak English. You will also need cash to pay the fare because the driver may not accept credit cards and a fee per piece of luggage in the boot (trunk) will be added to the fare.

Feel free to call ABD to check on itinerary times. They can usually give you an idea of when dinner will be on the first day, but it probably won’t be until 6pm or so. There is so much to do in Barcelona and you’re doing most of the major things with ABD. I’ve done just about everything on the itinerary and Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, the Olympic Stadium, Montjuic Castle, Montjuic Park, Joan Miro Museum, and the Picasso Museum. There’s also a chocolate museum that the kids may like. I also did a day trip to Figueres by train to see the Salvador Dali museum. The town was cute and it made for a fun day. I wanted to go to his house in Portlligat and castle in Pubol but never made it.

Whether or not you stay at the same hotel on your pre-night depends on whether you want to pay the price they are asking. It is very easy to change hotels—just get the doorman to get you a cab if you’re not close enough to walk with your luggage. If you haven’t already, I would suggest checking the prices for the date you need on the hotel website. If possible, ABD will try to keep you in the same room when the tour starts assuming it’s the same class of room. If you’re looking for a cheaper hotel, try looking at the TripAdvisor reviews for Barcelona to get ideas. I always stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel because it was close to the Passieg de Gràcia and used to be the pre/post hotel for the DCL Mediterranean cruises. Keep in mind that European hotels are very strict on room occupancy. They will only allow you to have the number of people in the room that is listed. If you have more, you will need to book a second room. When you do decide where you will stay, call ABD and let them know. They will put the information on your reservation so they know how to reach you if they need to before/after the tour begins/ends.

It is very easy to get transportation from the airport to your hotel. You can get a taxi from the taxi rank or book a shared or private ride using a site like Viator. If you decide to take a cab, make sure you have the hotel name and address written down on a sheet of paper. A lot of the cabbies don’t speak English. You will also need cash to pay the fare because the driver may not accept credit cards and a fee per piece of luggage in the boot (trunk) will be added to the fare.

Feel free to call ABD to check on itinerary times. They can usually give you an idea of when dinner will be on the first day, but it probably won’t be until 6pm or so. There is so much to do in Barcelona and you’re doing most of the major things with ABD. I’ve done just about everything on the itinerary and Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, the Olympic Stadium, Montjuic Castle, Montjuic Park, Joan Miro Museum, and the Picasso Museum. There’s also a chocolate museum that the kids may like. I also did a day trip to Figueres by train to see the Salvador Dali museum. The town was cute and it made for a fun day. I wanted to go to his house in Portlligat and castle in Pubol but never made it.

Thanks for all the tips!!

I did price out the hotel and it’s a little pricey for a 4 star. Im not sure what kind of room ABD will have us in but I guess that will be one of the things I need to ask. The website of the hotel is crap though. Really hard to get it to work properly or look for information for booking. Just for that I’m already tempted to book elsewhere, even if it means it’s a little more inconvenient.

I’ll make sure to write down the hotel name and address if we don’t stay at Gran Havana! And bring cash too! Thanks for that!

I do have the chocolate museum in mind as one of the things we need to do! Seems like fun for my little one. I was thinking of something unique like a cooking class, too. I will have to see how the year progresses. Thanks again!!

Does anyone have reviews on the Silken Gran Hotel Havana that is the hotel for the short ABD?

Does anyone have reviews on the Silken Gran Hotel Havana that is the hotel for the short ABD?
I’ve asked the question on fb and got reviews saying it’s ok only. Location is great though. I’m leaning towards staying elsewhere for a night but am still thinking about it due to convenience. I hope someone else here can chime in :)

I just looked it up & it seems to be very good including a rooftop swimming pool

Rooms are of a European Standard . Prices are good

If you are " booking Indepently " BOOK Half Board ( Dinner , Bed & Breakfast )

This saves you wandering around trying to find somewhere to eat & trying to translate what is on offer .

Below is a picture of the type of room we had for 2 people (on the website, this is labeled as "Urban Comfort"). For a European hotel, we thought it was above average and close to USA standards (size, amenities, etc.). We liked the location (Gran Via) and we walked to many destinations. For convenience (1 night), it's difficult to beat.

The breakfast at the hotel was above average with a wide variety of selections that are common to the USA. Making a small effort to greet the host, ask for a table for three, and thank you, in Spanish will get you smiles and better service.

There are restaurants close by. There is a supermarket directly across the street.

The fountain show was not part of our itinerary.

We went on the adventure last summer. We did it right after the Greece Adventure on our way home. I believe we arrived a day early and stayed an additional two nights at the end. We stayed at the ABD property. I thought it was great (I'm not particularity picky though). We visited the Picasso Museum and walked around town on our pre-day. During the ABD on the late afternoon on your own we visited Casa Batllo. I highly recommend visiting. After the ABD we did a day of all things Dalí. We visited Catalunya where Salvador Dalí was born, raised and lived. We visited the Dalí House Museum in Port Lligat, Cadaqués and the Dalí Museum in Figueres. It was a great day.

We loved Barcelona and surrounding area. The food is incredible and you will not lack for amazing food/restaurants.

Last edited:
We went on the adventure last summer. We did it right after the Greece Adventure on our way home. I believe we arrived a day early and stayed an additional two nights at the end. We stayed at the ABD property. I thought it was great (I'm not particularity picky though). We visited the Picasso Museum and walked around town on our pre-day. During the ABD on the late afternoon on your own we visited Casa Batllo. I highly recommend visiting. After the ABD we went did a day of all things Dalí. We visited Catalunya where Salvador Dalí was born, raised and lived. We visited the Dalí House Museum in Port Lligat, Cadaqués and the Dalí Museum in Figueres. It was a great day.

We loved Barcelona and surrounding area. The food is incredible and you will not lack for amazing food/restaurants.
Do you remember which ABD hotel it was?

Did this short escape as our first ABD. We will be doing more ABD's after this experience. Stayed at the Gran Havana. Agree, for European hotels, it is above average. The breakfast is very above average. The location is nice. You can walk to La Rambla and many other places. There is a taxi stop right outside the hotel. The staff is very nice and helpful. The roof top bar is nice to sit at and relax at the end of the day.
I did get a laugh at the Southern Comfort used at the bar - it was made in Louisiana. Definitely not the Southern Comfort I'm used to.
If the price is too high, check out other hotels then get a taxi to the Disney hotel on the day your tour begins. Taxis are very easy to use and not that expensive.

You should be aware that Barcelona is part of the Catalan area of Spain with own unique culture and language. About two years ago there was a an attempt at a referendum to secede from Spain. The referendum was not permitted which resulted in large protests in Barcelona and other parts of Spain.

Things have been quiet in the interim, but the issue could resurface at any time. Be safe and stay away from any protests.

-Paul

You should be aware that Barcelona is part of the Catalan area of Spain with own unique culture and language. About two years ago there was a an attempt at a referendum to secede from Spain. The referendum was not permitted which resulted in large protests in Barcelona and other parts of Spain.

Things have been quiet in the interim, but the issue could resurface at any time. Be safe and stay away from any protests.

-Paul
This has been an issue in Barcelona for years and years. It was an issue when I was there in 2010. The referendum in 2017 was just one of many like it. Like any place, you just have to stay aware of what's going on while you're there.

Sayhello

I spent four nights in Barcelona from October 3rd to the 7th. Absolutely loved this city for the ability to walk and wander boulevards, streets and alleys everywhere!

Our short road trip was an absolute delight. So impressed with the coastline north and cove beaches of Begur, the medieval villages of Peratadalla and Besalu, wished we had more time in Girona, stayed in parador Cardona, very much enjoyed our visit to Montserrat and ended up in Allela so we could return our Budget car to the Besos area early the next morning.

Is the "fountain show at Montjuic" the same as the "magic fountain" I keep hearing about? Does anyone know if you're able to see that on the Barcelona Short Escape?

Is the "fountain show at Montjuic" the same as the "magic fountain" I keep hearing about? Does anyone know if you're able to see that on the Barcelona Short Escape?
Yes, it's the same thing. It's called the Magic Fountain of Montjuic. It's a really cool "dancing waters" show set to all sorts of music. Very popular, in a really pretty setting. I highly recommend it!

P1010642.JPG

P1010652.JPG

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!