BCV/PVB Split Stay (3/12-3/19)

Nappy1380

Mouseketeer
We spent 3 nights at BCV and 4 nights a PVB. Both resorts were wonderful! The rooms were ready and the CMs at both locations were absolutely fantastic.

BCV - This was our first time at this resort and now understand why people enjoy it. We were in room 225, which I would strongly recommend to anyone! It is literally the first room on the right after the first hallway to the right once you get off of the elevator. The balcony however, it's practically useless given how small it is. The décor of the DVC building and the pools themselves were wonderful. The walk to Epcot , even after staying at BWV, was shockingly short! Beachclub Marketplace was more than adequate for a QS option. Beaches & Cream however....unbelievably overrated in our opinion. Beyond the quaintness of the restaurant itself, the food (including the ice cream) was a disappointment.

PVB - This was also our first time at this resort and immediately became our favorite of the 6 DVC resorts we've have stayed at. So much so that we are considering either adding on OR selling our SSR contract to buy a PVB contract. The Great Ceremonial House is a place you could just hang out in! The newly renovated rooms are very well done. Still holds the ambiance of the resort and isn't a plain white box that is the new Disney MO on refurbs. We were in Tokelau room 2739, which was a great location. Everything about the resort was above and beyond the "feel" we've experienced elsewhere. We ate poolside, at Capt Cooks and at Kona Cafe and all 3 were great, absolutely zero complaints. Of note however is Capt Cooks is 100% undersized both in kitchen capacity and seating for the amount or people it serves.

The parks....ohhhh the parks. This is where we realized Disney was no longer the Disney we visited in 2018. All parks were at capacity for the week, so in theory the crowds were the worst that could have taken place. Our first non travel day was HS and it was absolutely slammed. We did early entry and managed to get ride MMRW and ROTR by 10:30. By that time, forget it. Lines were absolutely insane, as expected, for anything that wasn't a show. Even Star Tours was 50 minutes. We had lunch at Woody's Lunchbox and went back to the pool. We ended up back at HS for our 6PM Oga's reservation, which to be honest was a waste of time and a nightmare experience. There were multiple tables who, by CM admission, were pushing the 90 minute mark. That caused us to wait 30-40 minutes beyond our reservation. We did Oga's as it was the first time our kids experienced it. Even for the adults, it seemed to lack the luster as our first experience did. We probably won't be returning.

Our second day was at Epcot. We did early entry and rode Remy with a 15 minute wait. We stopped in Norway to get some breakfast, took some photos of the topiaries and then were able to get on Soarin (25 minute wait) and LWTL (10 minute wait) before leaving the Land Pavilion to find Nemo, yes Nemo, was a 50 minute wait! That was the signal it was time to hit the pools and have a snack. We had a late lunch/early dinner at Tutto Italia, which given how many subpar reviews I've ready, was surprisingly incredible. The food and the wait staff were both fantastic. After the meal we went back for a nap, since there was no way our 7 and 8 year old would be able to take advantage of EMH without one. We went back and got a great spot for Harmonious, which was substantially better in person that watching a video. I'll admit it, all of us walked away really enjoying the show. We then took advantage of EMH and were able to ride Mission Space, Frozen and Remy again without rushing.

Our third day was a pool/room transfer day. Nothing to report here.

Our fourth day was a MK day, and originally a day we planned to do non ride things in the park and then take advantage of EMH. Park opening being extended to 11PM squashed that idea. We had breakfast at Kona Cafe and were in the parks by 10AM. This is the 1 and only day that we purchased Genie+ because 1) The crowds and 2) To actually give it a shot. It's undeniable that having it in MK saved us a ton of time and allowed us to do more than we would have without it. With that said, the program is a mess and not very user friendly. Modifying a LL pass caused our 2 hour window to extend as apparently if you modify a ride that resets the 2 hour window. Lesson learned. Also the availability windows are obnoxiously sporadic. A few refreshes can really change the availability either forward (as expected as spots are taken) or backward by several hours, which makes zero sense. The Genie+ experience from a UI perspective needs a mountain of work. The lack of typical character meet and greets and other in park entertainment you would stumble across was very noticeable. It's clear that more entertainment and offerings needs to be in the parks.

We, of course, watched Enchantment. This was absolutely as disappointing in person as it is on videos. The projections, transitions and music are just....bad. It's just an emotionless show with a terribly theme song. The advancement of the projection technology is absolutely something to look forward to for future shows, but Enchantment needs to disappear as quickly as possibly.

Our fifth day was AK, which we got a late start to as we stayed in MK almost until 11PM the night before as some Disney Magic kicked in and the kids last that long. The wait times were absolutely atrocious. We suffered through 2 hour long waits for Kali and Kilimanjaro and called it quits.

Our sixth day was set to be a second MK day, however none of us, include the kids, cared to go back. We actually downgraded to a 4 day ticket and made it a pool day. That, to me, is very telling. The Disney magic still very much exists, however it is no longer in the parks. My kids were dying to go back to Disney, and to have them get to a point where they would rather go to the pool all day than Magic Kingdom spoke volumes. We watched the Electrical Water Pageant and Enchantment from the beach. Enchantment, when viewed as just a fireworks show, is actually a really great show and a much better experience than watching it in MK itself. Regardless, give me HEA or give me death!

Overall....lots and lots of complaining heard about the parks no matter where we were. At the front desk at Beach Club a family had 5 day tickets by was unaware of the reservation system. Their tickets were absolutely useless. We overhead numerous complaints (by the pool, on the bus, in restaurants, in the parks) about Genie+ and how much it's hated. More specifically for HS and AK, the lack of ride availability for the cost. Multiple people we overheard have not been to Disney in 5, 7, 10 years and said they would not be back. Just my opinion, but I think this is what is keeping the parks packed and will come home to roost soon. You have a large population that has not been to Disney in years, planned for Disney to be 1 and done due to cost or couldn't previously afford Disney that is in the park for one reason or another. Almost all of these people are surely going to be disappointed in the park experience. Once this wave runs out, it's back to the dark days of attendance and with that will most likely be even more budget cuts than what we are currently experiencing.

At the end of our trip, the consensus was unanimous in that we still had a very magical time however future trips will consist of significantly less time in the parks. As it stands now, we a contemplating a resort only trip in July. That is something that I would have never fathomed with a 7 and 8 year old but given the current state of the parks and the cost to be in the parks, that is what is more enjoyable at this point.

I didn’t realize modifying a LL reset your two hour window! I’m so glad you shared that.

It was also nice to read your thoughts on BCV. We are staying there for the first time in June but I’m having trouble getting excited about it due to the lack of theming in the rooms. My heart keeps pushing me to rebook AKV instead.

I didn’t realize modifying a LL reset your two hour window! I’m so glad you shared that.

It was also nice to read your thoughts on BCV. We are staying there for the first time in June but I’m having trouble getting excited about it due to the lack of theming in the rooms. My heart keeps pushing me to rebook AKV instead.

The theming is quaint and not very Disney. That didn't take away from the resort IMO. If you like Epcot and HS, BCV and BWV are hard to beat. One thing I did forget to mention is that while Stormalong Bay is definitely the most unique pool on property, the layout and bridge system stink. You always have to go up a bridge to get towels or return towels. Line of sight for kids is also a disaster given the layout.

Dont! BCV is awesome. If you are doing Epcot or HS on your trip, its fantastic for both. The boat ride to HS was great and you cant beat the walk to Epcot for fast access to rope drop Remy.

Modifying a LL pass caused our 2 hour window to extend as apparently if you modify a ride that resets the 2 hour window. Lesson learned.
Yup, and why wouldnt it? Its either 2 hours since you booked your last g+ OR tapping in to the ride. If you had a g+ booked and you either cancel or modify it and the return time is hours out, then you cant book another until 2 hours after you just did that one.

G+ is great when you learn how to use it, its a PITA learning curve and you need to basically take a course on it or do way more research than you should have to in order to fully understand all the ins and outs. Shouldnt be as convoluted as it is.

We are staying there for the first time in June but I’m having trouble getting excited about it due to the lack of theming in the rooms. My heart keeps pushing me to rebook AKV instead.
I would stay excited! BCV is fantastic. There is definite theming, but the theming isn't "in your face" theming. It is themed as a New England beach experience, so the theming in the room is more subtle and goes along with that beach theme. You still have the Disney characters depicted in rooms and throughout the resort, but those characters are in their beach attire. We love it!

The quaintness of Beaches and Cream has been reduced since they remodeled it, but the food is good and the sundaes are delicious. Finally, SAB is easily the best pool at WDW. There is something for everyone in the family to do: a small lazy river, a really good slide, waterfall, an area where kids/families play volleyball in the pool, etc. Kids have an absolutely great time there.

We spent 3 nights at BCV and 4 nights a PVB. Both resorts were wonderful! The rooms were ready and the CMs at both locations were absolutely fantastic.

BCV - This was our first time at this resort and now understand why people enjoy it. We were in room 225, which I would strongly recommend to anyone! It is literally the first room on the right after the first hallway to the right once you get off of the elevator. The balcony however, it's practically useless given how small it is. The décor of the DVC building and the pools themselves were wonderful. The walk to Epcot , even after staying at BWV, was shockingly short! Beachclub Marketplace was more than adequate for a QS option. Beaches & Cream however....unbelievably overrated in our opinion. Beyond the quaintness of the restaurant itself, the food (including the ice cream) was a disappointment.

PVB - This was also our first time at this resort and immediately became our favorite of the 6 DVC resorts we've have stayed at. So much so that we are considering either adding on OR selling our SSR contract to buy a PVB contract. The Great Ceremonial House is a place you could just hang out in! The newly renovated rooms are very well done. Still holds the ambiance of the resort and isn't a plain white box that is the new Disney MO on refurbs. We were in Tokelau room 2739, which was a great location. Everything about the resort was above and beyond the "feel" we've experienced elsewhere. We ate poolside, at Capt Cooks and at Kona Cafe and all 3 were great, absolutely zero complaints. Of note however is Capt Cooks is 100% undersized both in kitchen capacity and seating for the amount or people it serves.

The parks....ohhhh the parks. This is where we realized Disney was no longer the Disney we visited in 2018. All parks were at capacity for the week, so in theory the crowds were the worst that could have taken place. Our first non travel day was HS and it was absolutely slammed. We did early entry and managed to get ride MMRW and ROTR by 10:30. By that time, forget it. Lines were absolutely insane, as expected, for anything that wasn't a show. Even Star Tours was 50 minutes. We had lunch at Woody's Lunchbox and went back to the pool. We ended up back at HS for our 6PM Oga's reservation, which to be honest was a waste of time and a nightmare experience. There were multiple tables who, by CM admission, were pushing the 90 minute mark. That caused us to wait 30-40 minutes beyond our reservation. We did Oga's as it was the first time our kids experienced it. Even for the adults, it seemed to lack the luster as our first experience did. We probably won't be returning.

Our second day was at Epcot. We did early entry and rode Remy with a 15 minute wait. We stopped in Norway to get some breakfast, took some photos of the topiaries and then were able to get on Soarin (25 minute wait) and LWTL (10 minute wait) before leaving the Land Pavilion to find Nemo, yes Nemo, was a 50 minute wait! That was the signal it was time to hit the pools and have a snack. We had a late lunch/early dinner at Tutto Italia, which given how many subpar reviews I've ready, was surprisingly incredible. The food and the wait staff were both fantastic. After the meal we went back for a nap, since there was no way our 7 and 8 year old would be able to take advantage of EMH without one. We went back and got a great spot for Harmonious, which was substantially better in person that watching a video. I'll admit it, all of us walked away really enjoying the show. We then took advantage of EMH and were able to ride Mission Space, Frozen and Remy again without rushing.

Our fourth day was a MK day, and originally a day we planned to do non ride things in the park and then take advantage of EMH. Park opening being extended to 11PM squashed that idea. We had breakfast at Kona Cafe and were in the parks by 10AM. This is the 1 and only day that we purchased Genie+ because 1) The crowds and 2) To actually give it a shot. It's undeniable that having it in MK saved us a ton of time and allowed us to do more than we would have without it. With that said, the program is a mess and not very user friendly. Modifying a LL pass caused our 2 hour window to extend as apparently if you modify a ride that resets the 2 hour window. Lesson learned. Also the availability windows are obnoxiously sporadic. A few refreshes can really change the availability either forward (as expected as spots are taken) or backward by several hours, which makes zero sense. The Genie+ experience from a UI perspective needs a mountain of work. The lack of typical character meet and greets and other in park entertainment you would stumble across was very noticeable. It's clear that more entertainment and offerings needs to be in the parks.

We, of course, watched Enchantment. This was absolutely as disappointing in person as it is on videos. The projections, transitions and music are just....bad. It's just an emotionless show with a terribly theme song. The advancement of the projection technology is absolutely something to look forward to for future shows, but Enchantment needs to disappear as quickly as possibly.

Our fifth day was AK, which we got a late start to as we stayed in MK almost until 11PM the night before as some Disney Magic kicked in and the kids last that long. The wait times were absolutely atrocious. We suffered through 2 hour long waits for Kali and Kilimanjaro and called it quits.

Our sixth day was set to be a second MK day, however none of us, include the kids, cared to go back. We actually downgraded to a 4 day ticket and made it a pool day. That, to me, is very telling. The Disney magic still very much exists, however it is no longer in the parks. My kids were dying to go back to Disney, and to have them get to a point where they would rather go to the pool all day than Magic Kingdom spoke volumes. We watched the Electrical Water Pageant and Enchantment from the beach. Enchantment, when viewed as just a fireworks show, is actually a really great show and a much better experience than watching it in MK itself. Regardless, give me HEA or give me death!

Overall....lots and lots of complaining heard about the parks no matter where we were. At the front desk at Beach Club a family had 5 day tickets by was unaware of the reservation system. Their tickets were absolutely useless. We overhead numerous complaints (by the pool, on the bus, in restaurants, in the parks) about Genie+ and how much it's hated. More specifically for HS and AK, the lack of ride availability for the cost. Multiple people we overheard have not been to Disney in 5, 7, 10 years and said they would not be back. Just my opinion, but I think this is what is keeping the parks packed and will come home to roost soon. You have a large population that has not been to Disney in years, planned for Disney to be 1 and done due to cost or couldn't previously afford Disney that is in the park for one reason or another. Almost all of these people are surely going to be disappointed in the park experience. Once this wave runs out, it's back to the dark days of attendance and with that will most likely be even more budget cuts than what we are currently experiencing.

At the end of our trip, the consensus was unanimous in that we still had a very magical time however future trips will consist of significantly less time in the parks. As it stands now, we a contemplating a resort only trip in July. That is something that I would have never fathomed with a 7 and 8 year old but given the current state of the parks and the cost to be in the parks, that is what is more enjoyable at this point.
Thanks for the report! We just did our first split stay in February and, like you, we did BCV and Poly. We really enjoyed both resorts. BCV is our favorite, but Poly is also really nice. I worry that the new Poly2 is going to have a negative impact on the resort, however. Polynesian is already slammed and that pool fills up FAST, as in you have to be there by 10:30am at the latest or else you can't get a lounger. Poly2 is definitely going to change the resort, so I am reserving judgment until it actually opens to see if it changes Poly for the worse or better.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts on the parks. Genie+ was terrible. We did it at MK and it was the first (and only) time we used it. We did research to make sure we understood it, but a lot of the nuances don't show themselves until you actually use it. We met some people in line who were pros at using the system and they were giving us tips and strategies, but it was A LOT of work. Like you said, the lines were long. That being said, the lines didn't bother us too much. Lines at Disney have always been long. I remember going to Disney 30 years ago and waiting in 1.5-2.0 hour lines for rides. Waiting for an hour actually goes by pretty quick.

I have to disagree on Enchantment, though. We LOVED it. We watched it from the beach at Poly the night before we were at MK and it was just ok. It was amazing how incredible it is when you are right there.

The theming is quaint and not very Disney. That didn't take away from the resort IMO. If you like Epcot and HS, BCV and BWV are hard to beat. One thing I did forget to mention is that while Stormalong Bay is definitely the most unique pool on property, the layout and bridge system stink. You always have to go up a bridge to get towels or return towels. Line of sight for kids is also a disaster given the layout.
Where were you sitting at SAB? I only ask because we go to SAB on every trip and I have never had to go up a bridge to get or return towels. They have towels right when you enter the pool area, and there are other towel stations spread out throughout the pool area. Maybe you got unlucky this one time?

The line of sight issue is only because SAB is so expansive and there is so much to do. Our kids love the freedom to explore and go from the slide to the river, then go to the pool. If we are sitting in our lounger we obviously can't see them throughout all their SAB travels/adventures, so parents who are concerned about seeing their children the entire time would definitely want to go with their children. But that is what makes SAB great...the amount of things to do and the vibe! It is definitely our favorite pool day at WDW.

Thanks for the conversation :)

Where were you sitting at SAB? I only ask because we go to SAB on every trip and I have never had to go up a bridge to get or return towels. They have towels right when you enter the pool area, and there are other towel stations spread out throughout the pool area. Maybe you got unlucky this one time?

The line of sight issue is only because SAB is so expansive and there is so much to do. Our kids love the freedom to explore and go from the slide to the river, then go to the pool. If we are sitting in our lounger we obviously can't see them throughout all their SAB travels/adventures, so parents who are concerned about seeing their children the entire time would definitely want to go with their children. But that is what makes SAB great...the amount of things to do and the vibe! It is definitely our favorite pool day at WDW.

Thanks for the conversation :)

The location we chose, by the pool slide exit where the small sand area, could have been the reason in which towels and towel returns were not convenient. Given that it was our first time at the resort, I'll chalk that up to a learning curve as there very well may have been other towel locations available that did not require as much effort.

Regardless, we really enjoyed BCV and it is definitely at the top of our favorite properties.

I second this but while getting to rope drop Remy is nice, nothing beats that short walk home at the end of the evening after watching Harmonious!!
Oh man you aint kidding on that too. When we left the line for the skyliner was INSANE, it was basically halfway across the bridge to BCV, and not too far from the back pathway on the far side of BCV we took to get back to our room. We were so happy we were not in that line lol.

I think you might really enjoy Aulani if you want a resort only trip. There is plenty to do around the island, but you can also just chill at the resort if you wish.

I think you might really enjoy Aulani if you want a resort only trip. There is plenty to do around the island, but you can also just chill at the resort if you wish.

This as absolutely on out list when the kids are a bit older!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter