Be very careful when pulling a camper/trailer...

Belle5

DIS Veteran
My DH has a business associate that was killed the other day on his way to FW with his family. He lost control because the trailer he was pulling became unstable. He and my husband had been talking about our family and his family "crossing paths" as we came home from WDW and they would be on there way to it. The really creepy part was we passed the accident in east Texas (highway was at a complete standstill for MILES) and we had no idea it was DH's peer. We said, "Somebody must have been killed in that mess." So very, very tragic. The funeral is tomorrow. I've know about this for days but hesitated to post something so grim. Then, I thought it might just save one person if I tell the story and they know to stop immediately when they feel something isn't right when pulling their camper. That family was supposed to be in FW right now... :(

This is a tragedy. I am very sorry and the warning should be heeded by all of us who pull campers. A year or so ago we had a similar accident nearby which killed a man and his wife. The problem was a mismatched unit - the camper was too big for the tow vehicle. I have seen this a LOT on the road. Before you buy a camper, be sure to check the towing limits of your tow vehicle, compare with the wet weight of the trailer, and give yourself a few hundred pounds of leaway. Get a good hitch and spring for a good weight distribution system, and a sway control is always a good investment, even if your dealer tells you one isn't necessary for your new lightweight, like mine did. A swaying camper can easily cause a driver of an undersized tow vehicle to lose control.

While I am on my soapbox, now is a good time for everyone to inspect and test their electric brakes. If you can't do it, let your dealer do it. I have the wheels pulled and ALL brakes inspected along with the wheel bearings repacked at the annual inspection.

It is a dangerous world out there. Let's all learn from this tragic event and take a few minutes to be extra cautious. I want to meet all of the DIS board campers safely at FW someday!

:(

Thanks for your words of caution. I am so sorry to hear about this family loss. My prayers are with the family and friends of this family.We are headed out Sat. Morning and just got my car out of the shop for all of the necessary inspections. Please keep us in your prayers as we travel.
thanks
Linda

I also feel sorry for the family and their loss.

As ftwildernessguy points out, towing a trailer is serious business. There are many things that can go wrong and you should be prepared for them.

While my website deals with pop up camping (and towing) the theories can be used on almost any trailer.

Here are some pages that might help out:

Towing and Hitch Information

Sway Information

Break Away Switch

Campsite Safety

The most common problem I see is a trailer which is too big for the tow vehicle.

Remember our families are are the most precious things we have. We need to protect them!

• Know the limitations of your tow combination, don't overload
  • Use sway control
  • Use an appropriate hitch (WD if necessary)
  • Keep the speed down

Not sure what the cause of the accident was, but it makes me glad i bought a premium hitch set up, may people gripe about the cost but in my book it was money well spent for us.

Proper loading of a trailer is also very important for stability, you usually want more weight in front of the trailer axle. storage racks & bike racks installed on the back of a trailer can also affect trailer stability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter