Be Warned, It's True What They Say About Chef Mickey's

We go on the first night, every single trip, and always enjoy it. Great food, great character interaction, always a wonderful experience.

But, honestly, if I paid any attention to the reviews, I would starve to death at WDW.

This is us... it's always our first meal of our trip. We have never had a bad time there and the food always tastes good! We have done breakfast there too but now choose to go there for dinner and it will continue to be our first night tradition.

You're never going to find somewhere or something that doesn't have negative reviews. :laughing:

We went for brunch just last week and thought it was very tasty. I liked the more lunchtime options and my husband enjoyed the breakfast selections. DS ate a full plate of sausage, waffle, nuggets, corn, and potato. We also enjoyed the sundae bar for dessert. I thought the ribs were great. I got there as a fresh batch was being placed. I did not like the ribs at Crystal Palace which were hard, dry, and I couldn't bite them. Every family does what works for them. :)

Brunch is my personal favorite there :) I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.

We have been there on several occasions and, while I understand tastes differ, we finally said, "no more". We are not hard to please but even the children in our group did not care for the food. What I don't understand is why Disney allows this to continue...oh, what am I saying... It's because we keep coming back and the restaurant is always full. Nice to see the characters but several other locations with characters beat this garbage by a mile!

We went for breakfast last week and really enjoyed it! Everything was fresh, tasty and we all had a blast. We'll definitely have it in our plans again next trip. Sorry OP didn't have the same experience.

We started eating at Chef Mickeys for breakfast 8 years ago. At that point, it was really good. We go every year, our latest trip was last week, and have noticed a steady decline in the quality of food. I understand you are paying for the atmosphere, but when you go from a decent place to sub par, there is no excuse. What's frustrating is the fact that I know how it used to be, so I am annoyed that prices have gone up but quality has gone down. If it goes to two dining credits, that would be a complete rip off. It really is the Golden Coral of buffets.

On a side note, the lobster roll was also disgusting this time around at Contempo Cafe. Last year it had huge chunks of real lobster. This time around, it was littered with that fake stuff and inedible. Again, comparing last year to this year, there has been a decline. I just hope it isn't a trend.

Last edited:

I went last yr and the food was good, but with that said I don't go to character meals for the food, Ilike to watch my kids interact with the characters , that's were I see the value

I have only had breakfast at Chef Mickey's. We eat breakfast here every trip. I have always enjoyed the breakfast. I know that when scheduling a character meal, I am going for the characters. I never expected the food to be amazing. It is normal buffet food that you can get anywhere.

We went for breakfast. The food was OK. Standard breakfast stuff. Not special, but not inedible.
We, however, cannot go back.
It was the loudest, most chaotic character meal we did (and we did Tusker House, 1900 Park Fair breakfast AND dinner, and Akershus) my ASD kid could not cope with it at all, and didn't even WANT to meet the characters after tolerating the light, noise and chaos for only a short amount of time.

I'm taking a chance on a 7am breakfast. :P
We have done that before and did not have an issue with the food, breakfast is easy that way.

I cannot count the amount of times I have put CM on the agenda and then decide not to book there. Last time we tried a golden corral I was grossed out and imagine it is a similar food quality at CM dinner given the horrible reviews.

We went in May 2014, and we enjoyed it....might've been a little better because it was our first trip/first experience at Disney with our then 5 year old too. I would go back though! It's a buffet, so I never expect high end food at any of those.

We were in that category of "we know bad reviews but doing it for the characters & DD"...SO glad our obligatory first (and LAST) experience is now out of the way!!! Yes, the characters were cute in their outfits. DD enjoyed that part. But, she also enjoys M&G's. The food wasn't just bad, it was truly inedible. Like mystery meat/hope no hospital with food poisoning inedible lol :crazy2: After picking over the mystery stuff, ALL of us stuck with the kids chicken tender nuggets (they were actually decent and you could tell it was real chicken breast lol) and some of the desserts. My meal consisted of chicken nuggets, rice krispy treats, and the mini apple pie tarts with ice cream on top. And I'm 38 yrs old :laughing: If any of your kids would be just as happy to meet the characters by way of M&G's in the park, save your money for real food!!! A huge sting to the wallet when Pecos Bill CS tasted better, fresher ingredients, and more confident it wasn't sending you to the hospital :eek: I'd take a pretzel over anything at Chef Mickey's ::yes::
Totally agree; we didn't do chef mickeys but so glad we didn't do the dining plan and we ended up cancelling all character dining after our first ever character dining at the grand Floridian. Food was okay but it was crowded service was incredibly slow and you couldn't get a good pic with the characters. Lady tremaine didn't show up. Overall was a tremendous waste of money. Daughter enjoyed meet and greet at parks so much more and so did we. Thank you for review of chef mixkeys I heard the same thing word of mouth at. Spark at cancelled it right away. Disappointing and sorry u had that experience

Granted it's been about 5 years since we were there, but went to chef muckeys (typo but it's staying lol) just my husband and I for breakfast. It's literally the only restaurant my husband has walked out of without eating his meal. It was so so bad.
wow!!!!

We went for breakfast. The food was OK. Standard breakfast stuff. Not special, but not inedible.
We, however, cannot go back.
It was the loudest, most chaotic character meal we did (and we did Tusker House, 1900 Park Fair breakfast AND dinner, and Akershus) my ASD kid could not cope with it at all, and didn't even WANT to meet the characters after tolerating the light, noise and chaos for only a short amount of time.
Sorry to hear. I understand; I myself couldn't stand the chaos at GF and immediately cancelled all
Other character dining. Meet and greet at parks were better for us and more fun- oh and free

This is going to sound ridiculous to a lot of you....but if your kids actually LIKE Golden Corral style buffets...then CM isn't so bad? Just overpriced and what at WDW isn't?

(I know I know, but they are teenage boys no matter where we take them they order the burger or the fried fish etc even at a tablecloth service place. They live for buffets :rolleyes2)

This is going to sound ridiculous to a lot of you....but if your kids actually LIKE Golden Corral style buffets...then CM isn't so bad? Just overpriced and what at WDW isn't?

(I know I know, but they are teenage boys no matter where we take them they order the burger or the fried fish etc even at a tablecloth service place. They live for buffets :rolleyes2)

No, it's really not so bad when comparing to a place such as Golden Corral (although food wise, Corral beats CM's in my opinion). If nothing else, the chicken breast nuggets and desserts are good:P And to be fair, the characters were adorable and the atmosphere was entertaining. While for my family it was a one and done, it's truly an iconic Disney experience. I think your boys would enjoy. And the adorable blackmail pics of them with the characters...priceless

Ive been for breakfast and it wasnt so bad. ive heard nothing but bad things about dinner though, ugh

Well, we made a 2:20 ADR for Brunch at CM before heading to MK at 4 for MVMCP (It's our only night @ WDW). I'm worried about the state of the buffet that late, but I really want to make the short trip memorable for the kids. I also have a Cape May ADR for breakfast the next morning but I'm hoping an Ohana cancellation comes along

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts