Beach resort in Southern CA

GenGen22

DIS Veteran
We're looking for a beach resort in Southern CA. I looked at a couple in San Diego Mission Bay that were about $300+ a night which was ok but they have parking and resort fees that tack on an additional $80 a night. This may be the case everywhere and if so, ill deal with it but was wondering if anyone had recommendations. Its just me and my fiance so we don't need a water park or anything like that for kids. Looking for a relaxing stay on the beach with a pool & jacuzzi and maybe cabanas or something. We're going over July 4th weekend. I know last minute planning... places we though were nice were Catamaran resort & San Diego Mission Bsy resort to give you an example of what I found in my internet search. We just want to relax, maybe wine taste if thats even open and eat good food.

This place looks really nice. I will give them a call as there are no reservations available online. Thank you!

Read reviews of Hotel Del on Trip Advisor. You do NOT want to stay here now. THey are going through major construction, and the complaints are through the roof. Not worth the expensive price tag. Go down the street to the quiet and beautiful Loews Coronado resort.

Mission Bay is not really a beach. Just be aware of that. It's more like a lake park.

I'd recommend a hotel on Coronado island (not the Del). Lowes Coronado is a fantastic resort and a very short distance to a beautiful beach.

My family has stayed at the La Jolla Shores Hotel many times over the years and we love it there. Next door is also the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. Both are closed right now though and not sure if they'll be open by July 4th or not, but you should keep them on the list if/when things reopen in CA this summer.

Thank you all. I will definitely look at all of these. @DLgal Thanks for letting me know that its not a beach. I don't like lake swimming so I definitely won't stay at Mission Bay.

My family has stayed at the La Jolla Shores Hotel many times over the years and we love it there.
Another recommendation for La Jolla Shores Hotel. I've stayed there a couple times and love it, too. It fit within our budget while being right on the beach.

I stayed at Paradise Point on Mission Bay for work many years ago and loved it! I’d love to take my family back someday. But it’s probably one of the properties, that you mentioned above, at $300+ per night. Maybe they’re running some specials right now to attract people back? Worth looking into! Have fun planning your trip!

I stayed at Paradise Point on Mission Bay for work many years ago and loved it!
I do think it's the best "beach" resort in San Diego, but the OP wants ocean front, not bayside. I was going to suggest it, but then I saw her subsequent post saying she didn't want to stay on Mission Bay.

I’m not sure if you’re set on San Diego beaches.... If so, I’d recommend Pacific Terrace Hotel, but it’s pricey. I personally am not a huge fan of San Diego. For a nice trip without kids, I’d definitely recommend the Surf and Sand Resort in Laguna Beach. The Montage in Laguna Beach is another one but super pricey. 💰💰💰

If you are willing to head to Orange County I'd recommend the Hyatt or Hilton in Huntingdon Beach. The Hilton just had a major renovation last year. Both are right across the PCH to the beach. The Hyatt had an overpass , don't think the renovation at the Hilton included one. However there are traffic lights to cross.

Mission Bay is not really a beach. Just be aware of that. It's more like a lake park.

I'd recommend a hotel on Coronado island (not the Del). Lowes Coronado is a fantastic resort and a very short distance to a beautiful beach.

Mission Bay is not a beach, but hotels like the catamaran are on Mission Bay and across the street from the ocean.

I love the catamaran! You can also try bahia. There is a boat that goes between the two, but I am unsure if it is operational

We're looking for a beach resort in Southern CA. I looked at a couple in San Diego Mission Bay that were about $300+ a night which was ok but they have parking and resort fees that tack on an additional $80 a night. This may be the case everywhere and if so, ill deal with it but was wondering if anyone had recommendations. Its just me and my fiance so we don't need a water park or anything like that for kids. Looking for a relaxing stay on the beach with a pool & jacuzzi and maybe cabanas or something. We're going over July 4th weekend. I know last minute planning... places we though were nice were Catamaran resort & San Diego Mission Bsy resort to give you an example of what I found in my internet search. We just want to relax, maybe wine taste if thats even open and eat good food.

Yea, the hotels love to sneak in those extra fees. The only time I have seen them waive this is if you book directly with the hotel and call them to negotiate. As far as a list of top notch hotels in the San Diego area I would consider these my top 5

Paradise Point
Manchester Grand Hyatt
Loews, Coronado (has a gondola service right next door!)
Omani
Half moon humphreys

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!