Bed Bugs at the Polynesian =(

Disney already does use bedbug dogs, but not every day in every room.
I know it would be a lot, but since they do daily security checks now, why not do a bed bug check with the dogs at the same time. For those allergic, they can skip it during their stay.

How do you check the headboard? Do you just look inside drawers with a flashlight? I’ve never thought of this before. I will not obsess over it but would like to know how to do a proper check when arriving. Thanks to everyone for all the useful information!

Yes, just take your flashlight and shine on any horizontal surfaces or ledges, cracks, crevices at any hotel you stay at. So, with the headboard, look at the top, and then an any ledges down to the bed. As others have said you are looking for; bugs themselves, and their traces, such as blood spots (look a bit like rust spots), brown spots, and discarded carapaces. With drawers, just open them up and shine your flashlight around the edges inside. The bed is the most important thing, so you look between all the sheets down to the mattress and in the mattress crevasses down the sides. It doesn't really take that long, and once you do it once, it becomes routine. If you notice bites don't ignore them, they may be mosquitoes or other pests too, but they could be bed bugs; the bites usually come in lines or groups of 3, but not always. If you are getting bit, recheck the bed, and you can always talk to the front desk discreetly.

Also, they say not to lay or open your bags and suitcases on the beds, esp. before you've checked them. When going home, if you have any doubts or want to be safe, it's easiest to unload your suitcases outside, bringing in clothes in ziplocks or garbage bags, put the clothes directly into your dryer and crank it up on high, discard the bags and any trash from the trip outside of your house. If you know there were indeed beg bugs the suitcases would need to be treated as well, and that may take an exterminator treating them with heat.

Per the bed bug registry web site reported bed bug bites:

Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort
2000 Hotel Plaza Boulevard = 1 report of bed bugs

Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre
8501 Palm Parkway = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Polynesian Resort
1600 Seven Seas Dr. = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
900 Cayman Way = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
1000 W Buena Vista Drive = 2 reports of bed bugs

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
4600 N World Dr = 2 reports of bed bugs

Holiday inn suites 14500 continental gateway = 1 report of bed bugs
Oh NOOOOO!!! We are supposed to stay at Carribean Beach. I am now horrified. Anyone know what building they were found in?

Does anyone know how long it take for dog to take notice? Can a dog just walk up and down the hall or does he need to go in and out of a room sniffing everything? Might be nice if Disney with all this security checking, they could also take the time for bringing a bug dog too.

Finding bedbugs is one of my big fears only because they are so hard to get rid of. We spray all our bag before we leave home. Have clothes in trash bags (but that's mostly in case it rains in route), mostly live out of suitcase. I have our underwear in gallon size ziplock bags, those I do put in a drawer. I check the mattress. Don't know if we've been wise or lucky, but so far so good.
I admit I am a GERMPHOBE and would literally prefer to walk into a burning building then sleep in a bed with bedbugs. Ughhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it would be a lot, but since they do daily security checks now, why not do a bed bug check with the dogs at the same time. For those allergic, they can skip it during their stay.
Disney doesn't have that many bug sniffing dogs.

We pack our clothes in giant ziploc bags. We have extra bags for dirty laundry.
I’m glad that Disney is very responsive. I wish they were more proactive. There’s no reason why housekeeping can’t check mattresses when changing bedding and making beds. It should be a normal part of the routine. At least they have the dog once a guest reports bed bugs.
Very good point. When housekeeping at any hotel is cleaning a room for new guest and stripping the bed you’d think they should be doing bed bug check. And any time they are changing bed sheets.

Oh NOOOOO!!! We are supposed to stay at Carribean Beach. I am now horrified. Anyone know what building they were found in?
I wouldn’t worry about it. CBR is a huge resort and the likelihood that they will be in your room is slim. Do your do diligence and check when you get into your room.
Bed bugs can be in any resort room and most freq carried in by suitcases exposed in airport. All those suitcases stacked together :crazy2:

Does anyone know where you can get that plastic wrap for luggage? I’ve seen it on suitcases in the airport.

Last edited:
Very good point. When housekeeping at any hotel is cleaning a room for new guest and stripping the bed you’d think they should be doing bed bug check. And any time they are changing bed sheets.

I wouldn’t worry about it. CBR is a huge resort and the likelihood that they will be in your room is slim. Do your do diligence and check when you get into your room.
Bed bugs can be in any resort room and most freq carried in by suitcases exposed in airport. All those suitcases stacked together :crazy2:

Does anyone know where you can get that plastic wrap for luggage? I’ve seen it on suitcases in the airport.

No idea where to get plastic wrap for luggage, but this is exactly why I bought a set of hard shell luggage.

No idea where to get plastic wrap for luggage, but this is exactly why I bought a set of hard shell luggage.
I have no idea how they get inside luggage but even hard shell has zipper with cloth. Probably makes it a little more difficult for them to get in.

Per the bed bug registry web site reported bed bug bites:

Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort
2000 Hotel Plaza Boulevard = 1 report of bed bugs

Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre
8501 Palm Parkway = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Polynesian Resort
1600 Seven Seas Dr. = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
900 Cayman Way = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
1000 W Buena Vista Drive = 2 reports of bed bugs

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
4600 N World Dr = 2 reports of bed bugs

Holiday inn suites 14500 continental gateway = 1 report of bed bugs

Oh no! Is this report based on recent dates?

I wouldn't worry about any kind of registry website. Not being on the list doesn't mean there have not been bed bugs at a hotel. It just means it isn't on that list.

Bed bugs happen everywhere and the status of their presence can change from one day to the next. You just have to do your best to check for them.

...Does anyone know where you can get that plastic wrap for luggage? I’ve seen it on suitcases in the airport.
The problem with wrapping your suitcase in plastic wrap is that TSA may need to open your bags. Then they would have to remove the wrap. You might just want to bag all your stuff in plastic Ziploc bags inside the suitcase if you are really worried.

How do we know they don't check? Any check isn't fool-proof. Especially when they don't change sheets every day.

How do we know they don't check? Any check isn't fool-proof. Especially when they don't change sheets every day.
I’m sure they do a basic check but they probably don’t have the time to do a thorough check. Plus, they hate lights and tend to scatter when the lights are on. It’s always best to check yourself and peak in the drawers and headboards. Plus, they can check every day and the still won’t spot them all. Those bugs are expert hiders.

I was thinking of the check being when room guest checks out and everything is stripped. Room is empty. They can use flashlight on bed mattress, frame, shine in drawers. They may not see the bugs but they’ll see the evidence.
It sounded like her bed was pretty infected with her getting hundreds of bites.
If they do check they missed it. But your right, we don’t know how trained housekeepers are with checking and what they do. You’d think they would be the first line of defence for stopping infestation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!