Being an adult and liking Disney...

I am going to Disney World to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary. My friends all think I am "nuts". But you know what? I really don't care. I love going there and enjoying the place, DH and I go every year and just have fun. We have a lot harder time getting around now, but with planning and taking it at a slower pace we get to do what we want and still rest. As for the cost, we save all year and have the time of our lives. I really think we are "Kids" at heart. DH is a young 72 and I am a young 68. I tell everyone we eat, drink and are happy. Can't wait till September. Going to enjoy.
You are once again young when you return to Disney World! The magic takes away the years! I hate it when people look at going their as chore and not enjoy moments of being yourself.

I get these reactions all the time! Luckily I work in a school, so I work with kids, so it's not too crazy to say I love Disney, because my students do too! But we get it from my family- it's totally ok and acceptable for my family to go to Disney with their kids all the time, but because it's just my husband and I- it's weird that we always go without having children- they keep telling us to try going somewhere else, even though we have and we don't enjoy nearly as much as WDW.

I take 3-4 solo trips every year so I hear it a lot. It used to bother me to the point that I kept a few trips kind of semi-secret.

These days I just smile and nod, no justifications necessary. I mean, does it really matter what a friend or coworker thinks about my vacation choices? DH is thrilled that he no longer has to go along, everyone else is just background noise.

My parents always told me that Disney is something you like when you're young and that when you're in college you have to mature and do adult things. Let me tell you that really made me upset and angry. I've told them it was for everyone, but they just gave me dirty looks. At 22, I still love it! What's not to love about Disney? It's not a kid thing and no one is being is "childish" or "immature." There's no such thing as that. Everyone is a kid at heart. My professors seem to adore that I love Disney so much. I just wish adults would just be more observant and show some respect towards other people like. Calling them "childish" is rude and disrespectful.

I don't engage with people who feel the need to question my choices for fun or entertainment. :)

"Aren't you too old to go to Disney?" The answer requires just one word. "No.", then I smile and move on. :)
"Are you going back there again?!" The answer requires just one word. "Yes.", then I smile and move on. :)

If they ask why, I'll give them 4 whole words...."Because I like it." :)

There's no reason to let other people's opinions or questions cause any distress, nor do we need to give rude or sarcastic, or clever or funny answers. Just the simplest answer and go on with your life. :)

Same here. I get very mad when people say that. My parents tell me to stop liking it because I'm not a child and I just get very mad and upset with them. Next time someone tells me that I will tell them "I'm sorry you feel that way. Or "No way!"

Same here. I get very mad when people say that. My parents tell me to stop liking it because I'm not a child and I just get very mad and upset with them. Next time someone tells me that I will tell them "I'm sorry you feel that way. Or "No way!"

I would say "I'm old enough to know what I like and not even children have difficulty understanding that"

My boyfriend (John) and I are 25. We went to Disney together this past June for the first time as adults (we've both been there as children). We loved it so much that we have another Disney World trip coming up in January 2020 (90 days to go!) and we have reservations already for our next trip after that for New Year's Eve Dec. 31st 2020 to January 2021. We are both so excited to return! I think Disney is so much more fun as an adult, especially since I get to plan the trip for my own desires and experiences, making it a dream vacation every time :-)

My family has been telling me lately that I'm wasting all of my money on Disney World when John and I should use that money to explore the rest of the world instead, like go on a trip to Italy or something. My parents keep telling me to save Disney for after we're married and have children to take with us to Disney. John and I go on other trips throughout the year as well - we went to Niagara Falls last October and Yellowstone National Park, Montana this past July. Both of those trips were very fun and cool experiences, but nothing nearly as amazing as our trip to Disney together was. Nothing else comes close to the pure happiness I feel when I'm walking down Main Street in Magic Kingdom or watching the Happily Ever After fireworks. 🎆💜

John and I are experiencing Disney World as two 25-year-olds in love without having to plan our trip around kids. This next trip in January, we are spending one whole day at the World Showcase in Epcot, getting one drink and one snack in every country! I'm so excited for this! When we go to Magic Kingdom, I have a morning reservation at the Ivy Trellis Salon in the Grand Floridian for a Character Couture Timeless Transformation Makeover! After that we have lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table so I can take pictures with all of the princesses while looking like a princess myself! princess:

I don't care what my parents say about it anymore, or how old I am, or that I don't have kids. Disney is my happy place and I will always want to go back! John and I have Disney date nights where we stay at home and pick a classic Disney movie to watch together, and those are my favorite dates ❤

And ...for our New Years 2020-2021 trip, John has hinted to me that it would be the perfect vacation for a proposal 💍:love2:

This is my living room. I have loved Disney, Star Wars and Marvel since I was a kid. I'm a 56year old woman never going to grow out of what makes me happy and so long as I pay my bills and taxes, am financially independent and responsible then I can do and like what I want if I don't hurt anyone. I get judgement on my love of Disney, it must be sad to be them.

Attachments

• 15713461159507816748715097889235.jpg
    15713461159507816748715097889235.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 15713461795775071332052433445999.jpg
    15713461795775071332052433445999.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 18
My parents always told me that Disney is something you like when you're young and that when you're in college you have to mature and do adult things. Let me tell you that really made me upset and angry. I've told them it was for everyone, but they just gave me dirty looks. At 22, I still love it! What's not to love about Disney? It's not a kid thing and no one is being is "childish" or "immature." There's no such thing as that. Everyone is a kid at heart. My professors seem to adore that I love Disney so much. I just wish adults would just be more observant and show some respect towards other people like. Calling them "childish" is rude and disrespectful.

I have a friend who tells me he will never take his daughter to WDW because he doesn’t like Disney and criticizes me for going as often as I do. It makes me so angry! I’ve been going to the parks since I was 8 and my trips are much different now. I go with my friends or solo instead of with my parents. Now I like to spend the evenings at a bar or lounge. My heart is and always will be in the parks, no matter how old I am. There is nothing childish about that! You like what you like. 😊

My family has been telling me lately that I'm wasting all of my money on Disney World when John and I should use that money to explore the rest of the world instead, like go on a trip to Italy or something. My parents keep telling me to save Disney for after we're married and have children to take with us to Disney. John and I go on other trips throughout the year as well - we went to Niagara Falls last October and Yellowstone National Park, Montana this past July. Both of those trips were very fun and cool experiences, but nothing nearly as amazing as our trip to Disney together was. Nothing else comes close to the pure happiness I feel when I'm walking down Main Street in Magic Kingdom or watching the Happily Ever After fireworks. 🎆💜

I think you’ve managed to capture a sentiment that many of us share. My wife and I also enjoy non-Disney vacations (including Niagara Falls and Yellowstone) but always come back to Disney. It's our happy place as well. The only difference I see between us is that we've been doing it longer - so our friends and family have given up questioning our sanity :D

Everyone has their quirks. I love a disney dress. My colleague likes a football shirt. When he was taking the mick i reminded him that as a 48 year old man his chances of getting picked for england are actually slimmer than my chances of becoming a princess..

I have been told my whole life that I was extra and then I found a $700 pair of minnie ears on the disney store website and I realized I am hanging out with the wrong people. I love disney and it makes me happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!