Best affordable P&S camera?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I don't need really fancy, but I want a point and shoot that takes nice pictures, especially in low light (think fireworks, night scenes etc...). I don't need it small enough to fit in my pocket, but smaller than a DSLR would be ideal. No brand preference.

I know you were asking about cell phones recently. Have you considered just using that?

I know you were asking about cell phones recently. Have you considered just using that?

I was, and yes, actually I am considering just using my phone. But even outside of Disney, I'm looking at changing my gear. I'm selling my DSLR and for now, downgrading to a P&S (blasphemy, I know, lol).

Oh boy. The "best". I have 2 or 3 in mind but it kinda depends on you. If you just plan on doing snapshots, most any unit will do. Even just a phone.

But don't equate the average phone's capabilities with any camera you can buy at B&H. Phones just can't replicate what a camera, in the hands of a somewhat knowledgeable individual, can do. Over/under exposure, multi-exposure, selective focus, aperture and mirror control, 2nd curtain sync, and more (let alone combining multiples of these in a single exposure). Of course the phones look great on TV - you think they chose the conditions under which they're showing camera output are picked at random? Based on cellphone camera logic, a Mazda Miata is no different than a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

Ergo - you want something decent or are you limited by a budget? Seriously. Otherwise, I'd say a Leica. But let's be reasonable. Sony RX10 or RX100 (RX1?<snort>), Canon G7X, or Panasonic LX100 would be my top choices for a P&S as your only body. Larger/better sensors, faster lenses, and more control over your environment. I guess you could throw in a Sony a6x00. But note, even if it was mirrorless, I left out anything with a pentaprism. To me, that goes beyond a P&S concept.

There are some phone cameras that can replicate what a compact camera with 1/2.3" sensor can do, or even better it fairly significantly in low light … right until you need to change your focal length or need a strobe. Unless all you want is zoom, skip anything with a 1/2.3" sensor.

If you have the budget, the best large-ish (4/3 or 1" sensor) camera is something like the Leica C-Lux or D-Lux … and yeah they really are better than the Sony and Panasonic, especially with the camera connected apps. There's also the Ricoh GR II/III and Fuji X100, which have a DSLR sized sensor with fixed lens (no zooming). I can't recommend those cameras highly enough so long as the lack of zoom doesn't bother you.

On the other hand, a Fuji X series mirrorless camera will be somewhat smaller than a DSLR and gives up nothing in image quality - really it only gives up tracking action with the AF. Sony APS-C cameras are nice as well, but since you're coming from a DSLR, the ergonomics are much better on the Fuji and the Sony will drive you nuts. Canon's EOS M system is also nice, but appears to be a dead end mount since the R launch (though Canon's tight lipped about it). Though the best option for someone with your needs (downsize but keep quality) is probably the now discontinued and dead-end mount Nikon J5, unfortunately. 1" sensor, small and compact, but still has interchangeable lenses.

There are also a bunch of full frame mirrorless options, but nobody's really bothered to flesh out the compact part of those systems yet - they're all basically a DSLR by the time you strap any of their decent lenses on them.

I was, and yes, actually I am considering just using my phone. But even outside of Disney, I'm looking at changing my gear. I'm selling my DSLR and for now, downgrading to a P&S (blasphemy, I know, lol).

look at mirrorless cameras - with "pancake" lens they can fit in your pocket and mirrorless cameras can easily use DSLR lens
No need to lug around a big DSLR !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thoughts on the Panasonic FZ-200? I know it has a smaller sensor but my mother just offered to give me hers.... Free is definitely nice lol.

look at mirrorless cameras - with "pancake" lens they can fit in your pocket and mirrorless cameras can easily use DSLR lens
No need to lug around a big DSLR !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Yup. I have a tiny Fuji xt10 that I keep a pancake 27mm on and when I want to shoot wider I use the “kit” 18-55. It’s a great little combo. Xt30 just came out an dgets great reviews so far. I don’t know what your version of affordable is, but something to keep in mind.

Thoughts on the Panasonic FZ-200? I know it has a smaller sensor but my mother just offered to give me hers.... Free is definitely nice lol.
Free is good. :)

It's older with a small 1/2.3" sensor, but it has zoom and the lens is fairly bright. Quality will be like a very good phone camera, but it has zoom, a real strobe, and image stabilization, which are all big benefits.

For free, it's a decent camera. I have an FZ200 as my side P&S. It's not bad except for the small sensor and some heavy handed internal image processing. It's a 2.8 lens only BUT it's 2.8 along the whole zoom range. There's almost no other camera like that out there. Definitely need the IS for that. Typical Panasonic chip - it doesn't like underexposed lowlight shots - just too much noise.

My complaints are that it's not very wide, it's easy to bump the diopter adjust on the EVF (screwing with what you think is in focus), adjusting manual mode settings quickly can be a pain, and panoramic mode stinks (used to make up for nothing wider than 28mm). If it had a pano mode like my Galaxy S7 (that works), I could forgive much.

Last super-duper blood werewolf moon, grabbed the only body I had with a charged battery. The FZ200. Hadn't planned to - Seattle's clouds decided to cooperate at the last minute. 600mm, 3.2sec, f4, ISO250, handheld supported on a railing so kinda blurry (plus the astral movement). But better than not getting the shot.

P1020685a.jpg

For free, it's a decent camera. I have an FZ200 as my side P&S. It's not bad except for the small sensor and some heavy handed internal image processing. It's a 2.8 lens only BUT it's 2.8 along the whole zoom range. There's almost no other camera like that out there. Definitely need the IS for that. Typical Panasonic chip - it doesn't like underexposed lowlight shots - just too much noise.
Pretty cool that you could get that shot at all. :)

The f/2.8 at the long end is the important part, because that's where you need it to keep shutter speed up. Although it's f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, the sensor is at a 1 stop disadvantage compared to even a 1/1.7" sensor, so that puts it as about the same as being at f/4 on the P7800, G16 or similar. The other disadvantage of the FZ200 is that it's about 70% of the weight of a compact DSLR with lens, and about the same in size, and several of the APS-C mirrorless camera/lens combos are actually smaller than the FZ200 (though the same weight as the DSLR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter