Best age for child's first visit to WDW? Poll Inside!

Best age for child's first visit to WDW?

• 1 year old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 2 years old

Votes: 51 15.4%
  • 3 years old

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • 4 years old

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 5 years old

Votes: 91 27.5%
  • 6 years old

Votes: 31 9.4%
  • 7 years old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 8 years old

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 9 years old

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10+ years old

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
I voted 4. That was the age we took each of my girls for the first time. That wasn't by chance, that was careful planning on my part because I believe it to be the perfect age. They are old enough that they are out of diapers and not in the midst of potty training. They were tall enough to ride most of the the rides and understand what was going on for the most part. They were young enough to believe fully in the characters and truly get excited to see them while being old enough to really know who they were. Those were the two most magical trips.

I voted 5, but we're taking my son for his first time in January, he'll be 4.5 years old. We're taking him to all of the parks (yes, even Epcot, referencing a different thread), and I know he'll be excited to experience all of them. As a parent, I am definitely hoping to see the magic and wonder in his eyes that won't be there when he is 8 or 12 or 15, but we're all still going to experience for the first time as a family, so it'll be a great trip regardless!

Ours will also be 4.5 and we are also going late January for the first time for 6 days, staying offsite and renting car :) And we are going to all the parks too, even Epcot.

I voted 4 since most rides except a couple in each park are available. I have a 4.5 yr old who is 42". Magical age!

I’d say anywhere between 4 to 8 depending on the specific child.

In my mind, they need to be old enough to manage easily, no potty training or ridiculous dietary needs, minimal napping, able to wait in line, able to handle the excitement and sensory overload, tall enough to ride most things, semi independent (I don’t want to carry them or a ton of stuff needed to take care of them), and able to follow instructions and act appropriately in public. Some kids are good by 4, others are more immature, and I’d wait until they were a little older.

I’d also want to make sure they are old enough to remember something of the trip later in life.

On the other side of this, I’d still want everything to be magical and real to them, so that’s why I’d cap it out around 8, and for some kids that might be pushing it.

Of course, this all ideal age. I wouldn’t not go if I had a child older or younger.

Definitely depends on a lot of factors! Like others said, if this is a once in a lifetime trip, I think waiting until they're a little older (like 5) is a good age.

I think 2 is a pretty fun age to bring a child though! They seem to enjoy it and they're free. My son was just about 2 on his first trip and he LOVED the character interactions and was just so much fun. Of course he was also a lot of work.

One of my boys was just under 1 at his first trip, and my daughter was only 8 weeks old at her first trip! They probably didn't get much out of it at those ages, but they were super easy compared to bringing a toddler.

Knowing what you know now, what do you feel is the best age for a child's first visit to WDW? ..and why?

Totally depends on the expected number of visits.

5 is definitely the "magic age" in my opinion. They still believe the characters are real, but they can also ride some of the highlighted attractions and have a decent amount of stamina. If I was only going once, I'd wait until about 8, to try to capture some of that but also have them retain the memories, but if I could go twice, I'd definitely go at 5! (If I could go three times, I'd throw in a "first" trip while they were still free, then go again when they're 5, and so on...) Something like this:

1 visit @ 8 (balanced age)
2 visits @ 5 & 10 (magic age & big ride age)
3 visits @ 2, 5, 10 (adorable age, magic age, big ride age)
4 visits @ 2, 5, 10, 16 (adorable age, magic age, big ride age, & can-let-them-go-off-exploring-a bit-age)

But I agree that anytime it works out is a good time to go! The more visits you can make, the more ages I'd throw into that list. Personally, I didn't get there until I was 27, but I loved every minute of it. (And I was pretty much 5 inside for the whole trip. :laughing:)

My DS has been at 18 mths, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 16. A couple of those were just day trips while visiting relatives, a few were long weekends, but the one at 5 is still known as "the big trip" where we stayed a week and a half.

@Magpie, I was quite literally in tears at your post about taking your son at 13. I love that!!!

Ive been taking my kids since they were less than a year old... If it is a once in a lifetime trip I would wait until 6 or 7, but if you are a frequent visitor, then I say the earlier the better! My kids all grew up knowing what to expect during a disney trip, and while they were free I just thought of it as the perfect time to be taking them lol. But my mindset would have been different if we didn't go as often as we do.

Yay! We are taking our son for the first time this fall when he will have just turned 5.... I am glad that seems to be the most popular choice.

No children myself, but my parents took me for my first three trips when I was 2, 4 and 6yrs old and they've both said that had they the chance to do it again, they wouldn't have taken me at 2 yrs since I was still in diapers and needing a slower pace. They said my trip at 4yrs was much smoother and I didn't start remembering Disney trips until I was 6.

I voted 1 because you should just do it when you can.

Just got back from my daughters 1st bday trip 2 weeks ago..she went crazy at the character meals and got special attention from two separate musicians during our trip, that truly was magical.

We took our son a couple of months before he turned 3 and it was my favorite trip so far (we've also gone when he was 5 and 6). Like another member said, there's no pressure to do everything because they can't do so many of the big attractions, and we could use rider switch for those if we wanted. We were able to just be really "in the moment" and enjoy his wonderment of it all. He really loved the characters at that age so we had so many great candids, without the forced smiles and the impatience to get on another ride. He also wasn't in school yet so we were able to go at a relatively slower time of the year and his ticket was still free.

But really, I think each parent will know what is the best age to go for their own child. Children's personalities, termperments, and interests vary so much. My son was very low maintenance and happy go lucky at that age, so just under 3 years old was perfect for him .

Last edited:
So, if you can afford to go on vacation (any vacation), go and enjoy it.

Totally agree! I feel like its all about making memories so if you can swing it why not! We are taking our daughter (2.5 yrs old) on her first trip in November and I am beyond excited! I personally don't care if she will remember it or not #1 I know it wont be her last trip there #2 I will remember the first time she saw Minnie Mouse and her favorite princess Belle :goodvibes

Totally agree! I feel like its all about making memories so if you can swing it why not! We are taking our daughter (2.5 yrs old) on her first trip in November and I am beyond excited! I personally don't care if she will remember it or not #1 I know it wont be her last trip there #2 I will remember the first time she saw Minnie Mouse and her favorite princess Belle :goodvibes

Totally agree. My son was 18 months on his first trip. I’ll never forget the look on his sweet little face the first time he saw Mickey. I will cherish that memory forever. He won’t remember the trip, but he had a blast. I mean, shouldn’t we be trying to make our kids’ lives enjoyable from the moment they’re born, even though they won’t remember the first couple of years?

Knowing what you know now, what do you feel is the best age for a child's first visit to WDW? ..and why?

No right or wrong answer, but just wondering what the popular opinion is.

Please don't simply choose the age of your child when you took them for the first time :), unless you truly feel that you just happened to nail the right age the first time.

I know this is difficult for multi children families, like ours but think of it this way... if you were recommending an age to a family with one child, what would it be?

-Dan
We took DD when she was 3. However, we only went to Magic Kingdom and Epcot. We kept it simple, stayed at Beach Club, went to Cape May Character breakfast, and enjoyed the Boardwalk and pool. She was hooked. Last year, at age 4, we did all the parks and she had a blast. We didn't push it, and went at her pace, and just got in some must-dos each day. Now, we are returning with her at age 5 (we leave Wednesday!) with just one day at MK and one day at Epcot and are staying at the Dolphin to enjoy the pool and Boardwalk area. We are going to the Trattoria character breakfast. We go yearly to escape VT winter, so this works for us. Now, if I was bringing kids to Disney for one trip, and one trip only, I would say about age 7 or 8. They will have more stamina, still believe in the Magic, and you will get your money's worth!! All of my DD's friends' families are taking their kids for the first time this year and they are between the ages of 5-9.

I would say 3 years old. DS had just turned 3 on his first visit and we had a great experience.

1. They can sit silently on a plane with minimal entertaining.
2. They can express who they want to see and what/when they want to eat.
3. They are potty trained and you don't have to worry about accidents. (Here there are pretty strict rules on kids entering nursery school. They must be fully potty trained so at this point he had about 6 months to get used to communicating his needs. Heaven to fly and not have to change a nappy in those tiny toilets.)
4. They have favourites so you can make their dreams come true!
5. They have one nap a day or no naps at this point so you can easily complete a day without too many stops. To my dismay my son never napped in his stroller always a bed so before this age my life was held hostage to his naps. Ironically he fell asleep 2x in his Disney rented stroller prompting me to buy one by the same brand. Also.. jet lag is easier to explain and handle on an older child.
6. They can go on almost all the rides and are surprisingly brave. DS was over 100cm tall on his first visit so aside from Space Mountain, Everest, Primeval Whirl & The Avatar ride.. he could do pretty much everything else.
7. They will remember it. It is all DS talks about and he is very active in helping me plan his 2nd visit.

When they are older they still hug characters but nothing beats seeing a toddler/little one put their whole heart into it and get completely lost in the characters arms. I will cherish his first visit forever. It was PERFECT. We would love another child and I would keep up with the Disney visits for DS but not bring no2 along till they were a similar age/stage of development as DS was on his first visit.

I would say 3 years old. DS had just turned 3 on his first visit and we had a great experience.

1. They can sit silently on a plane with minimal entertaining.
2. They can express who they want to see and what/when they want to eat.
3. They are potty trained and you don't have to worry about accidents. (Here there are pretty strict rules on kids entering nursery school. They must be fully potty trained so at this point he had about 6 months to get used to communicating his needs. Heaven to fly and not have to change a nappy in those tiny toilets.)
4. They have favourites so you can make their dreams come true!
5. They have one nap a day or no naps at this point so you can easily complete a day without too many stops. To my dismay my son never napped in his stroller always a bed so before this age my life was held hostage to his naps. Ironically he fell asleep 2x in his Disney rented stroller prompting me to buy one by the same brand. Also.. jet lag is easier to explain and handle on an older child.
6. They can go on almost all the rides and are surprisingly brave. DS was over 100cm tall on his first visit so aside from Space Mountain, Everest, Primeval Whirl & The Avatar ride.. he could do pretty much everything else.
7. They will remember it. It is all DS talks about and he is very active in helping me plan his 2nd visit.

When they are older they still hug characters but nothing beats seeing a toddler/little one put their whole heart into it and get completely lost in the characters arms. I will cherish his first visit forever. It was PERFECT. We would love another child and I would keep up with the Disney visits for DS but not bring no2 along till they were a similar age/stage of development as DS was on his first visit.

I just want to say that some of your points may be more applicable to an older 3 year old. There are many children who aren’t potty trained (or at least not completely/reliably) the day they turn 3, but most are sometime that year (before they turn 4). There are also a lot of kids who don’t start school until they’re 4, or close to it, and many don’t start until they’re 5.

In addition, many new 3 year olds aren’t tall enough for the headliners. We’re taking our son the week before he turns 3, and right now, I’m guessing he might be tall enough for 7 Dwarves and the slinky dog coaster, but I’m not even sure on that. I’m pretty confident he won’t be tall enough for any other headliners at that time. Not all kids (or adults, for that matter) are brave, either. Some will wan5 to ride the big rides and some won’t.

I, personally, don’t have any memories before I was 4.5, and no clear memories from before I was 7 or so. I think there are probably a lot of 3 year olds (especially new 3 year olds) who won’t remember the trip clearly enough to assist with planning another one.

I definitely don’t want to discourage anyone from taking a 3 year old (heck, I took an 18 month old), but I think it’s important to remember that not all 3 year olds (or 4 year olds, or 5 year olds...) are the same, and it’s difficult to make generalizations about any age group. Every family has to judge what’s the best for them, but I think a Disney trip can be fun with kids of any age!

There's different kinds of good and there's different kids. My daughter is 6 now, and when we go next month, she'll be able to go on a LOT more rides and we'll be able to be a lot calmer about things, carry less, etc. So from one point of view, this would be the 'best' time.
But she's also fairly immune to being faked out, and figured out early on that the characters were all "just people in costume, momma!" So if we hadn't taken her just before she was 3, we and she would never have had the experience of her getting to meet Ariel and really believe she was Ariel. It's different for every kid and every family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter