Best Ages for WDW

We waited til our DS was 6 for our first trip. My DW and I had never been, but we have friends who have been going and camping there for many years. 6 was the perfect age. We actually left our 2 year old DD at home, figuring she was too young, and having NOT wanting to deal with a carriage and all. Best decision we made. Had a great trip. Our 6 yo DS now works at Disney, and our DD just finished the CP program at WDW. We're heading back in March, all of us. Good luck.

Yeah I think we'll wait until then. Looks like I have about 6 years to plan... is that enough time? :rotfl:
Be careful, if you start thinking about it too much now, you'll end up here before that 6-years is up! :rotfl:
But honestly, the best age for Disney is all of the above! :tigger:

You can always go once now, and then again in 5-years???

Understanding the expense and time it would take coming from Australia, I would think about 5-years would be a sweet spot.

There is no such thing as too young (or old!) for Disney! It really depends on your family's finances and how often you will travel to Disney. My DS13's first trip was when he was 16 months old, but we lived in Florida and went on a regular basis so him "not remembering" or not being 40" tall was a non-issue. We LOVED going back during each stage (and height) because it was a difference experience each time. But if Disney is a once in a lifetime trip for your family then definitely wait until the youngest is tall enough to get on most rides.

Is 40" the magic number for most attractions? That's about 100cm... I'm getting out the tape measure when I get home!

Most attractions are for kids of all heights (you can find this in a lot of places online, but I like the Beyond the Kingdoms video on YouTube for WDW Babies and Toddlers (0-3) and older kids (3-9)- they do a slide on each park and how many rides you can do for any height, and then note what is restricted. However, some of the most popular rides have a 35", 38" or 40" height restriction. So 40 isn't necessarily the magic number, but it is one of the numbers that shows up. It is the magic number if you're talking about being able to ride everything.

Your kids will have fun at any age (we were thinking we'd wait until between 5 and 7 for our daughter, but had an opportunity to go this year when dear daughter (DD) is 2 going on 3, so we're embracing it). That being said, if it is a huge long term savings, I could see why you might want to wait until all 3 kids could fully appreciate it. If you went that route, you could continue to budget for it, too, so that you can stay in whatever accommodations you want and splurge on special meals, events or souvenirs.

Have fun dreaming and planning!

Has anyone gone with teenage daughters? When we go our eldest daughter may be 14 at the time - will she be too cool for school? Haha

My favorite trips were 9m/3y and 2y/4y. My kids seemed to get more difficult at Disney as they got older ... 7y/9y trip was a total bummer and might have dissuaded DH from ever wanting to return. I'm still holding out hope we could try again in a few years when they'll be old enough to turn loose for a couple of hours in a park while we enjoy a meal.

I loved the trips when the kids were younger (2 to 4) - they were so in awe, they loved all of the characters. It is truly a magical time to go. Now I'm not a big fan of taking newborns - but that is more a germs, it can be hotter than h@ll thing versus a not worth it.

I understand if it is only going to be a once in a lifetime trip waiting until they are older, but so much can happen those five or six years. Go now, sooner rather than later ... that's my vote.

I'm just going to throw out a few things...

- ages can matter for rides, ticket prices, memories, and enjoyment, but also for fear. Remember that small kids can get very easily scared of things that don't seem scary to older kids or adults. I remember my son was very creeped out by some characters

- sometimes it's better to just go whenever you can afford it, take the time off, etc because life gets busy and complicated, especially with more kids. The older kids get involved with sports and friends etc and it can get tricky to plan something that really fits everyone's schedule

- I do not agree that age 11 and under isn't 'cynical' as others have said. Every personality is different and my 7 year old is very cynical about a lot of things. I agree that 4 or 5 is sort of 'magical' and it was a great time for characters... but only SOME characters, others were scary

- the poster talking about how her favorite trips were when the kids were young, yes, I have to say that I think it will just get more and more difficult with three kids the older they get so personally I would make the first trip asap and if it worked out well then plan another whenever it was financially feasible

- don't forget about the possibility of using the Rider Switch option with the youngest child in order to give an older child a double ride (could do this once or twice per day perhaps)

Last edited:
One of our best little-kid trips had the kids 6, 3, and 11 months. The 3 year old was 40" in sneakers. The 11 month old wasn't walking yet. The 6 year old loved it all too. We found that our kids started outgrowing a lot of Disney as they got older. (Even at 8, all three preferred Universal). So, I'd go once when they are young enough to not start outgrowing it. (On the plus side, I think most who outgrow it come back to it eventually!) In your position, it would depend on the personalities of the kids too. Going before the youngest is walking can make it easier. But some 3 year olds can be quite challenging. Ideally, I'd pick one time when the youngest or middle won't make it extra hard. (You're about to be outnumbered so one easy child can be important). And then go again about 5 years later but include Universal on your second trip in case the eldest feels like she outgrew Disney by then.

One of our best little-kid trips had the kids 6, 3, and 11 months. The 3 year old was 40" in sneakers. The 11 month old wasn't walking yet. The 6 year old loved it all too. We found that our kids started outgrowing a lot of Disney as they got older. (Even at 8, all three preferred Universal). So, I'd go once when they are young enough to not start outgrowing it. (On the plus side, I think most who outgrow it come back to it eventually!) In your position, it would depend on the personalities of the kids too. Going before the youngest is walking can make it easier. But some 3 year olds can be quite challenging. Ideally, I'd pick one time when the youngest or middle won't make it extra hard. (You're about to be outnumbered so one easy child can be important). And then go again about 5 years later but include Universal on your second trip in case the eldest feels like she outgrew Disney by then.

Thanks for that! Great advice. It’s all about money for us so I think we’ll just have to see how we go!

Has anyone gone with teenage daughters? When we go our eldest daughter may be 14 at the time - will she be too cool for school? Haha

I have a 17-year-old son (Disney slang "DS") who has never outgrown it, but many kids do go through a period of being "too old for Disney" before they come back and become grown-ups who love Disney. It really does vary by kid.

We're lucky to be close enough to go every couple of years, but if we could only have gone once, I think I would have chosen either 5 (when they still believe the characters are real) or about 10 (when they can do a lot more - considering both height and stamina). - So with yours being two years apart, I guess 5-7-9 fits best into that. (Since the price goes up at 10, and you said budget was a factor.)

That being said, if you want to go soon, go! It's your vacation too, and they will love it at any age.

I have a 17-year-old son (Disney slang "DS") who has never outgrown it, but many kids do go through a period of being "too old for Disney" before they come back and become grown-ups who love Disney. It really does vary by kid.

We're lucky to be close enough to go every couple of years, but if we could only have gone once, I think I would have chosen either 5 (when they still believe the characters are real) or about 10 (when they can do a lot more - considering both height and stamina). - So with yours being two years apart, I guess 5-7-9 fits best into that. (Since the price goes up at 10, and you said budget was a factor.)

That being said, if you want to go soon, go! It's your vacation too, and they will love it at any age.
DS (dd, DH, etc.) is universal on message boards as dear son (daughter, husband, etc.).

Just got back from Disney with our 21 month old. He seemed to really enjoy the parks but he enjoyed the house pool, the playground swings, and an empty diaper box just as much! Lol I doubt they would remember much before age 4. A Pp suggested go when the kids are 8, 6 and 4 and that sounds perfect considering you are coming from Australia. Go 5 years after when they are 9, 11 and 13 to make more "big kid" memories :)

The first time I took my daughters they were 9 and 6. It was awesome, no naps, strollers, or diaper bags!! They still remember it all 3 years later and can’t wait to go back in 16 days! They will be 12 and 9 this time and they are still excited to meet princess and other characters!

Our first trip was Disneyland at ages 23 months old and 6 yrs old. The baby loved the princesses and he was free. The then 6 year old remembers a few things, she is now 9. It was a great trip but I can say we enjoyed our vacations much more when the little one got older.

I could never understand the “the kids won’t remember” argument. *I’LL* remember!! Our first trip was when the kids were 2 and 4 and we had a blast! I’ll never forget the pure joy on their faces experiencing the characters, the parades and rides for the first time. When they are that age, the magic is 100% real for them.

At the time we thought that was going to be our only trip there but we loved it so much we have since been back 6 more times in the last 9 years including a trip to Disneyland. They are 11 and 13 now and it’s been fun seeing how the experience has changed for them as they’ve gotten older.

The trip and experience changes as your kids age but I am so thankful we took them when they were that young. No they don’t remember that first trip but I always will. Disney is also about making memories for the parents, not just the kids!

If it's truly a once in a life time trip, I'd wait until they're all at least 40 inches. Most children don't remember things under the age of 3 and I think you want them to remember the trip. I'd guess waiting until the new baby is about 4, then they'd be 4, 6, and 8. That should be old enough to do everything but still young enough to find it magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!