Best budget tip!

PoohBWV

<font color=green>Moderator<br><font color=red>Pro
I am currently compiling a list of budget tips. What is your most favourite tip for saving money at Disney? Mine is to bring breakfast/snack items in a suitcase, then using the suitcase to bring home all of the souvenirs we buy. Hmm, not sure how I'm actually saving money there, but it is convenient. ;)

Most resorts with a food court sell milk in the food court and also sell milk in the gift shop. It is less expensive to purchase milk from the gift shop! I usually purchase milk the night before for our in-room breakfast the next morning and ice it down in the ice bucket.

We drive and we have a full size van so we bring a large cooler that is lined with frozen ice bottles around the sides - fill the middle with sodas and food. We throw loose ice on top and keep that replenished during the week.

We grab a frozen ice bottle (the do start to unthaw over the week but even on week trip we have had ice left in the bottles) as we head out to the park and we have great cold water for the day.

Liz

My favorite Budget tip is to split dinners! The portions at sit down restaurants in Disney are HUGE. DH and I would always split a dinner and dessert. The wait staff was glad to divide the meal onto two plates or bring you an extra plate, all with no attitude. This saved $$ as well as our waistlines! I got that tip from this board. The first time I did it I felt strange but the waiter didn't even bat an eye. They must be used to people doing this. When I'm at a restaurant near home I get a go box for the left overs, but on vacation it would just go to waste.....

Here are a few of my money saving meal tips:

We fly, so we purchase a styrofoam cooler when we arrive, usually $5-7 dollars, and buy pop, juice, fruit, beer, various snacks and breakfast stuff.

We eat breakfast in our room. We like to have one nice (i.e. more expensive) meal each day, so we do a late lunch, like 2:00 at the nicer restaurants. The lunch menu's are much less expensive than dinner, and we are less likely to order wine or a drink which brings the cost up quite a bit. We will have a later snack in the parks maybe, but then pick up a sandwich, maybe even order a Pizza at the hotel for a later dinner.

Biggest cost saving tip for us? Some months before our trip, we start a trip fund for our 7 year old son (started this when he was 5) - where he can earn money, for spending money. We've done this now for 2 disney and 2 other vacations. He always seems to "earn" $40 for the trip. Instead of begging us to buy him everything, he considers his purchases much more carefully, and always wants to bring some of his money home to spend at Target when we get back. We used to spend so much energy talking him out of wanting a lot of junk, now we almost have to talk him into buying a few trinkets. He loves the pins, so I will buy him one out of "my" money, not his, but the rest of what he wants, he buys....

I take my 2 godchildren (ages 6 & 9) to WDW about every two years. These children have more toys already than I did my entire life, so they need absolutely NOTHING toy-wise when it comes to the holidays and birthdays. So instead of spending money buying them toys for Christmas and their birthdays, I give them $15 or $20 Disney dollars. Also on holidays like Valentines day, Halloween, Easter, etc. and good report cards, etc., I give them $5 Disney Dollars. By the end of a year they have about $100 Disney Dollars each. They put the money in their Disney Banks (which I bought, of course - hers is Cinderella and his is Skull Island from Peter Pan).

When we go to Disney they have their own money to buy souveniers, snacks (ice cream, popcorn) and even some of their meals. They are really careful with what they spend it on and aren't constantly asking me to buy them stuff. They know when it's gone, that's it, so there isn't much impulse buying.

This saves me money because I would have bought them stuff at Disney anyway AND I would have spend money buying them presents for birthdays and holidays that they totally didn't need. Also, I don't have to come up with the money all at once, I spread it out over two years and they love watching their fund build up.

What a wonderful god parent Renee! Great ideas? Can I be your godchild? (I'm probably older than you but I don't mind ):D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter