Best Events/ Special Events for solo’s?

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
Hi,

What are the best events for a solo traveller to try and travel to WDW or Universal for do you think (ie - food and wine festival etc) ? I come from the Uk so does anyone have any suggestions on best events to travel out too for a week or so?

Hi,

What are the best events for a solo traveller to try and travel to WDW or Universal for do you think (ie - food and wine festival etc) ? I come from the Uk so does anyone have any suggestions on best events to travel out too for a week or so?
That's a hard question. I think you should pick based on time of year you want to travel, weather, other factors. I have done a lot of solo things and enjoyed them all. Food & Wine, Halloween & Christmas parties, Festival of the Arts, Flower & Garden, they are all fun. Lots of special tours - Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek are 2 I have done.

Universal is nice in Dec too, with Christmas parades and concerts, Mardi Gras parade and food in Feb-April. They have Halloween Horror nights which are not my thing.

That's a hard question. I think you should pick based on time of year you want to travel, weather, other factors. I have done a lot of solo things and enjoyed them all. Food & Wine, Halloween & Christmas parties, Festival of the Arts, Flower & Garden, they are all fun. Lots of special tours - Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek are 2 I have done.

Universal is nice in Dec too, with Christmas parades and concerts, Mardi Gras parade and food in Feb-April. They have Halloween Horror nights which are not my thing.

What are the Christmas parties? I would never of thought of doing Christmas parties solo? How where they solo, I thought you might get lonely at Christmas parties when everyone’s celebrating Christmas with friends and family?

I suppose I don’t want to travel all the way from the Uk and be lonely all the time for a week or so so join some events or tours

The parties are basically after hours, special ticketed events at Magic Kingdom. They have special parades, shows, and fireworks. Most rides are open, so it is similar to the usual park day but with extras. Special character meets like the 7 dwarfs. It's not like a small party.

The parties are basically after hours, special ticketed events at Magic Kingdom. They have special parades, shows, and fireworks. Most rides are open, so it is similar to the usual park day but with extras. Special character meets like the 7 dwarfs. It's not like a small party.

Oh I know the parties you mean I was confused. They look like fun

I would go to the food & wine fest and a Christmas or Halloween party for sure. For me hands down it's the Christmas party. Me and a girlfriend will be there Dec 5 and 6th. Come go with us! We're doing the party and a day at Islands of Adventure! We're super Harry Potter dorks lol.

I would go to the food & wine fest and a Christmas or Halloween party for sure. For me hands down it's the Christmas party. Me and a girlfriend will be there Dec 5 and 6th. Come go with us! We're doing the party and a day at Islands of Adventure! We're super Harry Potter dorks lol.
Food and wine looks fun. I might not be able to make Christmas at this time with my job. It’s always hard to get November and December off. Thanks for the invite offer though very kind

I actually think Food & Wine is hard as a solo, because when you have a group you can try a lot more. When I've gone solo to F&W I can have about 2 snacks and a drink and then I'm full. I did the Highway in the Sky Dine Around solo and I thought that was a blast! It's designed to feed each person individually so you get to eat & drink everything without ending up overstuffed, and it's just a really fun event overall.

I was thinking of doing Highway in the Sky solo next month. Was it all couples or were there other solos or non couples at the event. I'm not bashful by any means but it might be more comfortable if there were some other non couples there.

I was thinking of doing Highway in the Sky solo next month. Was it all couples or were there other solos or non couples at the event. I'm not bashful by any means but it might be more comfortable if there were some other non couples there.
It definitely wasn't couples when I went. There were couples, a few solos, some mother/daughter pairs, and a couple small groups of friends.
So bummed... looks like Highway in the Sky is on hiatus starting in Oct:(
Keep checking! They seem to keep adding dates as the ones they have sell out. If it makes money, Disney is likely to continue doing it.

I go solo alot. I'm just back from a solo weekend trip.

I have done tours like the Caring for Giants, Up Close with Rhynos, Wild Aftrica Trek, Marceline to the Magic.
Those are great for solos. And all of those tours were awesome. I've done Wild Africa Trek 3 times!

I need to do a few Epcot tours.....

I've done Disney After Dark in Animal Kingdom and loved it, the Halloween and Christmas parties so many times I've lost count.
I've done dessert parties and enjoyed them - I did have one Happily Ever After Dessert Party where the CM seating me obviously felt bad for me being solo (she made a comment) but I shrugged it off and had fun.

I have only done a couple of character meals solo - those felt a bit awkward but that was probably just me. LOL

I have met nice friendly families (got adopted by one in the Magic Kingdom for a few rides and they insisted I have photopass pics taken with them too!) LOL My latest trip I offered to share tables with other people when I saw them wandering with food and there were extra seats at my table and had a great time getting to know them a bit.

I talk with folks in line, on the buses basically anywhere. When they respond great but if they don't, no big deal. I just move on.

So go solo, don't worry about being lonely, do whatever you want and most of all - have fun!

Aside from F & W Fest ( any of the roaming festivals at Epcot are great for a solo traveler ), I'd also add Key to the Kingdom tour. You get a headset so you can hear the Ambassador/Tour Guide who conducts the tour. You may be seated with others at lunch ( we had a solo in our group and he sat with the Tour Guide ). I'd also recommend Lunch with An Imagineer at Brown Derby. The focus is on the host ( Imagineer ) and most conversation is to the group and focused on the Imagineer.

Personally, the only tour / special event I found a little awkward as a solo was the Ultimate Day of Thrills VIP tour. Don’t get me wrong, I had a great time, but my group seemed to be a majority of even number participants, so being paired up with a Ride Buddy just felt like it was a challenge at times. I am a ‘Walt’ fan so I greatly enjoyed the Walt Disney - Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour, And as Wild4Walt started on the tour they mentioned, you get the headset.

When I'm going solo I like to do a tour... it means you are with an organized group for a period of time where you can connect, plus the tours themselves are generally great. Loved Wild Trek, Caring for Giants and Keys to the Kingdom: liked Future World and DestiNations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter