Best GN hotel for those who tend to stay onsite?

As far as early entry, if you are getting a 3-day or more parkhopper, you will get one Magic Morning early entry to Disneyland for your trip. You can put that to good use early in your trip and knock out all of Fantasyland and most of Tomorrowland in the first hour or two.
I'm fairly certain we'll be FlexPass-holders, so we won't have Magic Morning, unfortunately.

My only thought is distance, at least compared to the BWPPI, Park Vue, and a couple of others. It's about 1200 ft from the front of the BWPPI to the turnstiles at Disneyland Park. It's about 2400 ft from the front desk of the Fairfield to the turnstiles. So it's twice as far.

We all value things differently, so maybe that's worthwhile to you for the other advantages of Fairfield, but I just want to go in with your eyes open.
Ugh ... double, huh? Hmmmm ....

I'm fairly certain we'll be FlexPass-holders, so we won't have Magic Morning, unfortunately.
If this is your first trip for your AP then buy a 3 day hopper online or in the app. Use your Magic Morning on the first available day and then upgrade in the app to the AP. Obviously if you already have the flex pass this doesn't work.
Some people will say that you should weigh out the savings you might have from the AP discount on those first days but for us we don't buy any souvenir items until the last day of the trip anyways so it doesn't change much for me.

If this is your first trip for your AP then buy a 3 day hopper online or in the app. Use your Magic Morning on the first available day and then upgrade in the app to the AP.

In addition to that, several guests have reported buying discounted tickets but receiving credit for the full list price when upgrading to an annual pass. Before they apparently ran out of stock, a 5-day Park Hopper from Last Minute Travel was $339 (I believe) while the list price is $395. If Last Minute Travel gets those back in stock at that same price (and if you can indeed get the full $395 credit when you upgrade), you would get the Flex Pass for a total of $543.

And there's really no risk in doing this. Even if Disney only ended up crediting you what you'd actually paid for the tickets, you're still getting the Flex Passes for the $599 you were prepared to pay anyway. (And I think it's unlikely that you wouldn't get credit for the higher amount, because I don't think Disney tracks or cares what discount other vendors sell these tickets for -- at least for this purpose.)

In addition to that, several guests have reported buying discounted tickets but receiving credit for the full list price when upgrading to an annual pass. Before they apparently ran out of stock, a 5-day Park Hopper from Last Minute Travel was $339 (I believe) while the list price is $395. If Last Minute Travel gets those back in stock at that same price (and if you can indeed get the full $395 credit when you upgrade), you would get the Flex Pass for a total of $543.

And there's really no risk in doing this. Even if Disney only ended up crediting you what you'd actually paid for the tickets, you're still getting the Flex Passes for the $599 you were prepared to pay anyway. (And I think it's unlikely that you wouldn't get credit for the higher amount, because I don't think Disney tracks or cares what discount other vendors sell these tickets for -- at least for this purpose.)

All great tips - but this will be our second trip with the pass (the "justification" trip, I guess you could call it).

Just a general question. We've never stayed at the Paradise Pier. If there was an AP or Disney Visa cardholder promo, that could potentially bring the cost difference between the king + sofa bed room at EITHER the BWPPI or Fairfield Inn within ~$75 per night. I could always reserve the offsite hotel and wait to see if a promo is offered, then cancel if needed. But, from what DH and I can tell, the walk from Paradise Pier is the same or longer as hotels further down Harbor, so it wouldn't save us any steps or time. It would just give us Early Entry and, arguably, a more "Disney" experience for our kiddo. Is it worth it?

All great tips - but this will be our second trip with the pass (the "justification" trip, I guess you could call it).

Just a general question. We've never stayed at the Paradise Pier. If there was an AP or Disney Visa cardholder promo, that could potentially bring the cost difference between the king + sofa bed room at EITHER the BWPPI or Fairfield Inn within ~$75 per night. I could always reserve the offsite hotel and wait to see if a promo is offered, then cancel if needed. But, from what DH and I can tell, the walk from Paradise Pier is the same or longer as hotels further down Harbor, so it wouldn't save us any steps or time. It would just give us Early Entry and, arguably, a more "Disney" experience for our kiddo. Is it worth it?
$75 a night would be worthwhile for me for the extra hour in the mornings.

My go to is Desert Inn and Suites. We really like the close proximity and free breakfast.

$75 a night would be worthwhile for me just to avoid the Harbor Side Security cluster...

Have you been through it since they expanded it?

I haven't yet as we stayed at DLH last time, but I see considerably less complaints about security on the Harbor side than in the past.

I have read some bad recent reviews, ie old, dirty, bad breakfast. It’s relatively cheap though. We stayed there before the remodel, and it looked like nothing had happened to it since the 80s. I have read here that the original section still looks about the same. This is the hotel that has convinced us to pay the extreme up charge to stay onsite at DLR.
I have stayed at the Grand Legacy multiple times, the latest being in May. I find their accommodations to be perfectly acceptable. My experience was a very clean, well maintained room. The bed was very comfy and have no complaints. While on vacation I usually stay at nicer resorts, but this is totally acceptable if you are trying to budget your trip. This hotel is 1/3 the cost of the Disneyland Hotel, which in my opinion is WAY overpriced. I'd rather stay at the Grand Legacy for 3 night for the price of DLH for 1. While at Disneyland I don't spend very much time in my hotel, because I'm there to enjoy the parks. But, their pool is pretty nice and has lots of chairs if you want to soak up some rays.

As for breakfast, they don't serve it any longer. Instead they provide you with a "snack bag' every morning. In the bad is a bottle of water, a granola bar, cheese and crackers and an apple. I really liked the snack bag. For me, it suited me better than breakfast. I would not hesitate to stay there.

I have stayed at the Grand Legacy multiple times, the latest being in May. I find their accommodations to be perfectly acceptable. My experience was a very clean, well maintained room. The bed was very comfy and have no complaints. While on vacation I usually stay at nicer resorts, but this is totally acceptable if you are trying to budget your trip. This hotel is 1/3 the cost of the Disneyland Hotel, which in my opinion is WAY overpriced. I'd rather stay at the Grand Legacy for 3 night for the price of DLH for 1. While at Disneyland I don't spend very much time in my hotel, because I'm there to enjoy the parks. But, their pool is pretty nice and has lots of chairs if you want to soak up some rays.

As for breakfast, they don't serve it any longer. Instead they provide you with a "snack bag' every morning. In the bad is a bottle of water, a granola bar, cheese and crackers and an apple. I really liked the snack bag. For me, it suited me better than breakfast. I would not hesitate to stay there.

Was this in the tower/new section or the older section? The rooms in the new section are supposed to be nice. I still think what they consider “breakfast” is pretty week. I did say it was cheap. However, someone who is used to staying onsite at DLR might be disappointed in at least the old section, no matter how cheap it is. I think most of the options along Harbor are a better choice for maybe not a ton more money.

Don’t stay at Del sol. It’s close but I’m sure there are nicer hotels.
Agreed.

Courtyard definitely looks the nicest of those right across the street. It’s pricier but the rooms are big, more beds and TWO showers. I have a hard time believing it’s that close to the cost of onsite as someone else mentioned.

Was this in the tower/new section or the older section? The rooms in the new section are supposed to be nice. I still think what they consider “breakfast” is pretty week. I did say it was cheap. However, someone who is used to staying onsite at DLR might be disappointed in at least the old section, no matter how cheap it is. I think most of the options along Harbor are a better choice for maybe not a ton more money.
I have never stayed in the newer tower...this was the older section. I think we will have to agree to disagree. I have stayed at the Park Vue, Best Western PP, Fairfield and HoJo's and find the Grand Legacy to on par with these hotels. I agree this isn't the same as the DLH, but if you are staying off site to save costs, it is, in my opinion, a good choice.

Courtyard definitely looks the nicest of those right across the street. It’s pricier but the rooms are big, more beds and TWO showers. I have a hard time believing it’s that close to the cost of onsite as someone else mentioned.

As of this morning (9/19), for the dates we're considering (Feb. 4 - 6), the online rack rate for a standard room (requesting a king bed + sofa sleeper) at the Paradise Pier is $306 per night, excluding tax. If I was able to get 15% off that rate with an AP or cardholder deal, that would bring us to roughly $260 per night, excluding tax ... which seems oddly low! But let's use the rack rate for comparison purposes.

Unless I'm missing something, the Courtyard doesn't offer a king room+ a sofa sleeper, which is what we're looking for. Two queens don't work for us, if we want to be well-rested for the parks. We're not comparing apples to apples here, but the one-bedroom suite with a king bed (no view) is $342 per night, excluding tax.

The BWPPI and Fairfield Inn (both offering a king bed + sofa sleeper) are $188 and $197 per night, excluding tax, respectively. So roughly within $110 per night of Paradise Pier if I CAN'T secure a discount.

I'll probably book offsite and keep an eye on the onsite deals and promos. Now, to decide between BWPPI and Fairfield Inn and determine the "value" of early magic entry ...

By the way, thank you everyone for chiming in! I really appreciate your time. :flower1:

When it comes to Paradise Pier, I stayed there once with a discount and while I'm glad I did it, I don't feel a need to stay there again. It's a nice hotel but wasn't anything super special. My favorite part was that we were upgraded to a premium view, and the view of DCA was really amazing. We could basically watch World of Color from our room. The lights were beautiful at night. When it comes to the standard rooms, I would see very little benefit of staying there over staying on Harbor.

When it comes to Paradise Pier, I stayed there once with a discount and while I'm glad I did it, I don't feel a need to stay there again. It's a nice hotel but wasn't anything super special. My favorite part was that we were upgraded to a premium view, and the view of DCA was really amazing. We could basically watch World of Color from our room. The lights were beautiful at night. When it comes to the standard rooms, I would see very little benefit of staying there over staying on Harbor.
Good feedback - thank you!

I agree that the PPH is fine but nothing special in terms of the room itself. The daybed style sofa bed at PPH is a bit more comfortable than a pull out style you're likely to have at most other hotels BUT its a single bed, not a double or queen so if you're planning on more than one person (or child) on the sofa bed that might not work out well. Also I think you are aware that you cannot book specific bed arrangements at PPH (or any other onsite hotel) though you can request them.

The Premium Theme Park view rooms do have a fabulous view of DCA and WoC as mentioned above and that is probably my favorite part of the PPH. But as you're looking at Standard View you'll likely be on the other side of the hotel overlooking the pool-which is on top of the parking garage-and parking lots. Of course, the other onsite perk is EMH which can be especially valuable, IMO, for DCA. But if you're not an early riser it may not be worthwhile either. Unless I really wanted EMH (and didn't want to pay for DLH or GCH) I'd pick an off-site hotel over PPH.

If you're OK with taking the bus from the Toy Story lot the Homewood Suites is my favorite "nicer" hotel. I have not stayed at the Courtyard as I've always found it to be more than I wanted to spend for the room type I needed but hopefully some day the stars (or my Marriott points) will align for a stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!