Best HS restaurant?

Shacka1

Hakuna Matata
Hey Guys!

Debating on doing a Fantasmic Dining package but worried that none of the restaurants are worth the money at HS. We are big foodies.

Thank you in advance!

I've eaten at 4 of the 5 TS restaurants. Here's how I'd rank them:

Sci Fi
Mama Melrose's
Hollywood Brown Derby
50s Prime Time Cafe

Are SciFi and 50’s PT eligible for the Fantasmic dining package now? SciFi would be my #1 choice at DHS! We have never had a bad meal here and the atmosphere is so unique! The food at 50’s is fine but the whole “clean your place and get your elbows off the table” routine is not for us. We’ve only ever had breakfast at H&V (many times) and it was good. I like how they seem to keep it really clean and not picked over looking like so many other Disney buffets. I would only eat at MM or HBD again as a last resort.

I love the theming at Sci-Fi, thought the food was just ok. Really enjoyed Mama Melrose's. Thought 50's prime time was similar to Sci-Fi, perhaps the food was a bit better, didn't enjoy the food as much as Mama Melrose's though.

Seems like I shouldn't waste my money at HBD. I wonder if we should just do breakfast at Hollywood and Vine. All of my FP arent until afternoon/night though

For me it would be either 50's or Sci Fi. I prefer the food at 50's and love the atmosphere/antics. The food for us has always been just OK at Sci Fi but the theme can't be beat. Those are the 2 places we tend to always eat at when we're at HS. Brown Derby may still a solid choice but we've never been crazy impressed with it for the price. Mama Melrose was surprisingly pretty good last time we were there but nothing I would go out of my way for or do before 50's/Sci Fi. Hollywood & Vine would my last choice, and probably only if my kids were with me and wanted to see the characters. Food is nothing to write home about.

My ranking would be:

50's PT
Sci Fi
HBD
Mama Melrose
Hollywood & Vine

Brown Derby is the best restaurant at DHS. It is a bit pretentious and not necessarily for young kids which I think sometimes gives it a bad rep. Sci Fi I have found just a step above awful but if classic theme park food is your thing that is the place. Mama Melrose is acceptable Italian. We actually enjoy the comfort food at 50's Prime Time.

Brown Derby is the best restaurant at DHS. It is a bit pretentious and not necessarily for young kids which I think sometimes gives it a bad rep. Sci Fi I have found just a step above awful but if classic theme park food is your thing that is the place. Mama Melrose is acceptable Italian. We actually enjoy the comfort food at 50's Prime Time.

We went to brown derby with our five young kids and it was totally fine. The citizens even waltzed in and spent time fooling around with us and making all the kids laugh. It's in a theme park...it's going to have sweaty adults and lots of kids.

Hey Guys!

Debating on doing a Fantasmic Dining package but worried that none of the restaurants are worth the money at HS. We are big foodies.

Thank you in advance!
We had a very nice lunch at Mama's the last time we were there as we were swayed by the Dis guys who were fairly complimentary on their review. The NY Strip and Mac was very good. My wife had the Seafood Fra Diavolo and it was very good.
Ultimately, Brown Derby has the best quality food as it's a signature and we've had nothing but good meals there. The filet is very good and again, my wife loves the Cioppino. The Cobb Salad is great.
We would do Mama Melrose again or Brown Derby, depending on our food preference, but the seating for Fantasmic Dining is better than standard FP if that moves the needle for you.

thoughts on the TS where I've eaten...

H&V- good for breakfast, but wouldn't touch it for any other meal
Mama Melrose- wasn't impressed with the food, but would pick it for the F! pkg if you need a 1 credit meal
Sci Fi- best restaurant atmosphere in HS, but the food is really hit or miss
50s- most fun meal in HS, but it's very average comfort food IMO
Brown Derby- best food in HS, but prefer the lounge over the actual restaurant since outdoor people watching is better than indoor atmosphere

If I had to pick one with a blend of food and fun, I still usually come back to trying to decide between Sci Fi and 50s. The food isn't wow to me, but it's not awful and both meals are cool and have a strong Disney vibe.

If you are a foodie then I would suggest the Brown Derby for sure. Sci Fi has cool atmosphere but the food can be inconsistent. Mama Melrose was good when we went but can not compare to Brown Derby.

I love Sci Fi but ask the girls and they love everything about 50's I think they love it for the pot roast and they chocolate peanut butter cake.

Hey Guys!

Thank you in advance!

Got this package with an HBD ADR... terrible mistake, it wasn’t worth the price. We did it again with Mama Melrose and even though the food wasn’t quite as good (it was still good though!) it was a much better value and the service was MUCH better, I avoid the HBD dining room completely now due to the shotty service and stick to the outdoor lounge.

I hope I can go back again and get the great experience others had here, but I thought Mama Melrose was the worst food I've had on Disney property at a table service restaurant. The theming is super cute though. Very cozy. I come from an area that specializes in Italian though so maybe that's why I thought it was bad. But on the other hand, I can appreciate and love Olive Garden as it's own thing and think OG is much better than Mama Melrose as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!