Best Inexpensive (ha) airport transportation?

Dave Dizney

<font color=blue>Super-Duper organized Ultimate Di
OK Aulani experts - what's the cheapest, best way to go between the airport and Aulani? ...and go...

Dave I went to the Fat Duck in Bray from London in the United Kingdom We took the train. I felt (while grateful I went) . But With all the hassle of using multiple stops. a car or getting the hotel to arrange something would be much better. I often find saving money means more hassle. And to be honest it was just silly.

Last edited:
Dave I went to the Fat Duck in Bray. Fat Duck is very expensive. So we took the train. I felt (while grateful I went) . With all the hassle hiring a car or getting the hotel to arrange something would be much better.

I'm confused....what is Fat Duck, where is Bray and I know there isn't a train to get you from HNL to Aulani lol

The last time we went I booked online and called the hotel for something. They rebooked my reservation and gave me transportation for free. For some reason transportation is free over the phone, but not online.

I'm confused....what is Fat Duck, where is Bray and I know there isn't a train to get you from HNL to Aulani lol
Sorry I was using an analogy to talk about the issue.
Fat Duck is one of the worlds best dining ventures. But the chef is mostly known for 'Dinner' in Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park these days

Last edited:
Cheapest/best way to get to Aulani from the airport will depend on how many people and if you need car seats. For 3-4 adults or less, IMO, renting a car is the best way to go. Even if it's only a one way day rental. It will give you the flexibility to stop for groceries or malasadas or any place else you may want to stop at but would need a car to do so.

Cheapest/best way to get to Aulani from the airport will depend on how many people and if you need car seats. For 3-4 adults or less, IMO, renting a car is the best way to go. Even if it's only a one way day rental. It will give you the flexibility to stop for groceries or malasadas or any place else you may want to stop at but would need a car to do so.

It will just be the two of us - we're only spending one night at Aulani between flights. The cost of parking there at the resort is about $30, right? There's got to be a more economical way of getting us to and from the airport for less than $100, isn't there?

It will just be the two of us - we're only spending one night at Aulani between flights. The cost of parking there at the resort is about $30, right? There's got to be a more economical way of getting us to and from the airport for less than $100, isn't there?

$37/night for parking, unless you are staying on DVC points. As I mentioned above, best airport transfer options are dependent on the scenario. Since you're only staying one night, it wouldn't make sense to do a one way rental then. Charley's taxi and Johnny Cab are both reputable private transfers which, I believe, charge around $55 flat rate for 2 passengers total. I assume a taxi would be around the same cost each way and may be easier, since you can just proceed to the taxi stand when you have your luggage.

The only thing that would be cheaper is if there's a shared shuttle option, which would stop at multiple hotels. Being in Ko Olina, I'm not sure if that exists but it may with Marriott and Four Seasons next door. Hopefully someone else can comment on that!

$37/night for parking, unless you are staying on DVC points. As I mentioned above, best airport transfer options are dependent on the scenario. Since you're only staying one night, it wouldn't make sense to do a one way rental then. Charley's taxi and Johnny Cab are both reputable private transfers which, I believe, charge around $55 flat rate for 2 passengers total. I assume a taxi would be around the same cost each way and may be easier, since you can just proceed to the taxi stand when you have your luggage.

The only thing that would be cheaper is if there's a shared shuttle option, which would stop at multiple hotels. Being in Ko Olina, I'm not sure if that exists but it may with Marriott and Four Seasons next door. Hopefully someone else can comment on that!

So we bought our points on Dave's site. Do we still have to pay for parking?

So we bought our points on Dave's site. Do we still have to pay for parking?

No! Anyone staying on a points reservation gets free parking. Doesn't matter if you are a DVC owner, a DVC renter, or renting points through a DVC broker like David's. They only differentiate between a points reservation and a cash reservation. You would insert your key card when exiting the parking garage, and since your reservation would be coded as points, you will not be charged for parking. Similarly, they will give you DVC wristbands at the pool. That doesn't get you anything extra, but it just shows that the reservations don't denote owner vs non-owner/renter.

Since you would get free parking, it might be worth at least pricing out the car rental. It would give you transportation to and from the airport and also give you flexibility to make a stop along the way there or on the way back if needed as well.

No! Anyone staying on a points reservation gets free parking. Doesn't matter if you are a DVC owner, a DVC renter, or renting points through a DVC broker like David's. They only differentiate between a points reservation and a cash reservation. You would insert your key card when exiting the parking garage, and since your reservation would be coded as points, you will not be charged for parking. Similarly, they will give you DVC wristbands at the pool. That doesn't get you anything extra, but it just shows that the reservations don't denote owner vs non-owner/renter.

Since you would get free parking, it might be worth at least pricing out the car rental. It would give you transportation to and from the airport and also give you flexibility to make a stop along the way there or on the way back if needed as well.

Awesome - that's good to know! I'll check out another rental! Thanks!

Anyone know why Uber only operates Select on Oahu? Elsewhere they offer a range of services.

Anyone know why Uber only operates Select on Oahu? Elsewhere they offer a range of services.

Were you looking from the airport? I suspect the Honolulu airport is one of the airports that has rules on Uber for airport pickups. I think Orlando is still like this too. They only allow the Uber options that will have comparable pricing to taxis, so that the taxis have a fair shot at airport arrivals as well. If this is the case, it makes using Uber from the airport a less appealing option, IMO.

Thanks. I should have been more specific. They only appear to operate Uber Select out of the airport. Are you aware of a workaround for this?
You'd have to leave the airport area. Some people get a ride on one of the car rental shuttles and get their uber from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!