"Best Kept Secrets" About OKW?

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
What are the "best kept secrets" about OKW? What things surprised you after first staying there?

Well the huge villas surprised us. Even though we had seen pictures and heard they were the biggest.......we were really taken back with how big they are. We had stayed at SSR and BWV so when we tried OKW....it was a big difference.

I guess another best kept secret and I am sure the OKW owners feel this way....
OKW is the best kept DVC secret.

We were pleasantly surprised at how much we really liked it. I think it really hit us on the Jan. trip....and we are happy we can stay there on occasions too.

Just how relaxing the whole place is. You really are on island time---and personally, I enjoy that stark contrast from the theme parks, DTD, etc. I like my time at the resort to be restful.

Olivias was another. Never seems to be crowded. We've been there a couple times now, and always enjoyed it.

The boat to DTD was extremely pleasant.

Goods 2 Go is a suprise of the less-pleasant variety, to be used in emergencies only.

We love the Turtle Pond Pool and the Turtle Shack.
It seems that we usually have the pool to ourselves..... and whirlpool (hot tub) at night is NEVER crowded

Although the bigger units have already been mentioned, the thing I love is the bigger balconies. Everywhere else usually has the smaller, two-chair balconies. OKW, in villas bigger than studios, has a full table, 4 chairs, on their balconies. You can sit outside to eat, have a snack at the table, walk around-I love the balconies. Another thing I think is a little gem there is Gurgling Suitcase. My experience in there is that everyone is immediately friendly. On our first visit, within 30 seconds of us sitting down a man told me all about his opinions of a wide variety of things. After he left, DH asked me "Who was that?" Another time, we met a woman who told us all about her visit in a Grand Villa, who was in the extended family staying there, etc., etc.

Forgot to mention the balconies! We love to eat on the Balcony.... whole family!

Gurgling Suitcase - great call! Love the turtle Krawl

It's not that much of a secret, but, I enjoyed taking a walk from our Villa down to the general store in the morning. It's quiet and peaceful and the scenery is very pretty.

Best kept secrets for us...
* large units
* ability to park right in front of your room
* full size washers & dryers in 1 & 2-BRs
* the landscaping (absolutely amazing!)
* the walking path between OKW and SSR
* bus trips that are quick and easy to the parks

and the best...
* feeling like you're in the middle of nowhere when you're in the middle of everything!

I love the first floor water views on Turtle Pond Road. My mom used to love seeing the ducks and rabbits in the morning.

I am so excited for my first stay there in May!! The pictures are so beautiful! Does anyone have pictures of the quiet pools? I would love to see them!

It's not that much of a secret, but, I enjoyed taking a walk from our Villa down to the general store in the morning. It's quiet and peaceful and the scenery is very pretty.

That is what I cherish most about OKW. The first time I stayed there, I felt overwhelmed the day we arrived (this place is TOO big!), but the next morning I took a walk and explored and truly fell in love with the place! :cloud9:

My big surprise was LOVING it as much as I do. I resisted staying at OKW for so long and I'm not sure why. When I finally did......it was love at first sight.

I agree with "Buckeye"'s list. There is nothing wrong with this resort IMO.

Love the Caribbean music playing and the slide at the big pool.

Great guard there too. Duirng one of our 2005 trips, he noticed our flat tie and knocked on our door to point it out on our departure day before we even realized it.

I really am enjoying this thread. I have yet to stay at OKW, but will be doing so at the very end of March/beginning of April. We are also considering it for a Food & Wine trip in early November.

Please keep the opinions coming! You guys are doing great! :)

My big surprise was LOVING it as much as I do. I resisted staying at OKW for so long and I'm not sure why. When I finally did......it was love at first sight.
You know, I had the same reaction. I wonder if anyone else did. Pre-DVC we were offered a "manager's special rate" there and didn't take it, just because we weren't familiar with it. We drove thru there and agreed that we were really glad we hadn't stayed there. Fast forward to when we joined DVC. On our first trip as members, we asked for one night at any resort just to stay at all DVC resorts eventually. MS booked OKW, and I've got to admit I was somewhat disappointed and not looking forward to our stay. But boy, were we surprised!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter