Best Pen for Autographs?

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
I’ve been to Disney many times, but this will be my first time seeking autographs. I have a nearly 3 year old son, and I think he will like getting autographs.

Is there a pen that works best for autographs? I’ve already bought a standard Disney autograph book.

Also, is there a way to know ahead of time if a character doesn’t sign? I know some don’t, but not sure which ones.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question...

The characters in costume have a hard time using thin pens/markers and I wouldn't use a gel pen. Almost all characters sign but each will have an attendant with them and will be able to tell you.

I use the retractable Sharpies and try to coordinate the colors based on the characters. My kids enjoy it. If the character doesn't care to sign with a marker the attendant will happily supply a pen.

The big pens they sell in the park! They are specifically for this purpose. The characters can hold them. And no chance of sharpie getting on them or anything else!

The big pens they sell in the park! They are specifically for this purpose. The characters can hold them. And no chance of sharpie getting on them or anything else!

Problem is, our first in-park event is EMM at DHS. I don’t want to waste EMM time trying to find and buy a pen.

Problem is, our first in-park event is EMM at DHS. I don’t want to waste EMM time trying to find and buy a pen.

The big pens can usually be found at the resort gift shops if you are staying on property or can be ordered online through Amazon or the Disney Store, I believe. We just used sharpies though. I've used the pens in the past, but like all pens, they have a tendency of not working at the most inopportune times. I couldn't find a good deal on the retractable sharpies this last trip, so I bought a big pack of regular ones. I just uncapped them and put the lid on the back before handing them to the characters and they would all hand it back after signing and I'd put the cap back on (except the Princesses who usually capped it themselves since they have human hands).

Word of warning though, sometimes sharpies can bleed through the pages of autograph books, so if you're using one, it may be a good idea to have a small piece of cardboard or thicker paper to put behind the page being signed. One more tip, have the book open to the page and pen/marker ready to go. It saves the character from having to flip through trying to find an empty page.

As for who doesn't sign, I think the Beast, Mike and Sulley, King Louie, and I think Buzz just used a stamp when we were there, or maybe his handler signed? I can't remember but I don't think Buzz himself actually signed.

I’ve been to Disney many times, but this will be my first time seeking autographs. I have a nearly 3 year old son, and I think he will like getting autographs.

Is there a pen that works best for autographs? I’ve already bought a standard Disney autograph book.

Also, is there a way to know ahead of time if a character doesn’t sign? I know some don’t, but not sure which ones.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question...
Definitely a chunky Sharpie!

If you are able to get one that is not as “juicy,” that might help.

A cute non-autograph to get is the Lady and the Tramp paw prints. You can ask for them at Tony’s restaurant.

The autograph books and pens are sold at resort gift shops, or usually in a gift shop as you enter the parks. We haven’t had much success with the park pens (kind of flimsy).

Be sure and be ready, as you will encounter characters as you enter the parks, especially at MK.

Olaf does not sign either...just an FYI.
I double checked and looked back at our autograph book & sure enough, no Olaf. Just his pic. We usually put a character w/no signature’s photo at the front end of the book. Love the Disney autograph books. They are pricey, but hold up very well. They make fantastic souvenirs. Love looking back thru the various ones we’ve collected. Be sure and buy the ones with slots for pics. We’ve bought the less expensive ones and regretted not having the place for photos.

sharpies!!! They come in thick, thin, regular, retractable, all colors of the rainbow, even metallic!!!!

Sharpies are the way to go, just make sure they aren’t so “juicy” that they bleed thru your pages.

I always keep my child’s autograph book on a zip lock bag.

Also was always quick to put away and cap the sharpie!

Those books make for precious memories. We have a whole stack from age 5 to 16!!

Any brand of permanent marker would work well. Markers work better then ballpoint pen, particularly if signing something like an autograph book. Wide permanent markers are easier for characters to handle and good for signing hats or shirts.

Sakura identi-pen permanent marker is one of my favorite. It has the ability to write on a variety of surfaces. It's ideal for autographing CDs, helmets, catcher's mitts, and other sports memorabilia. I was pleasantly impressed at how well it worked for writing on leather. The lines are so clean and distinct that they nearly appear to be printed on the surface.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts