Best Thing you have done that was an Extra Cost Experiences like Dessert Parties, etc.

Special/extras we have done:

Rented boats (multiple times) - pontoon, whaler, mickey mouse boats
Wilderness Segway Tour
EPCOT Segway Tour
Keys to the Kingdom Tour
Wild Africa Trek
Pirate and Pals voyage
Wishes Dessert Party a few times
3D Dessert Party at EPCOT during Food & Wine Festival twice
Early Morning Magic @ MK
Tiana's Riverboat Party
MVMCP x2
MNSSHP x2
Star Wars Dessert Party

Out of those, EMM, Tiana's Riverboat Party, the Segway Tours, 3D Dessert Party and the Keys to the Kingdom tour stands out as true stars, worth every penny we paid.

Has anyone done Tiana's riverboat cruise and ice cream social? I have it booked for May, but haven't heard much about it positive or negative... I'm also wondering if there is a place to sit on the Liberty Belle (haven't been on the boat in 5+ years) because I may need to nurse my 5 month old.

It was my then DD4's favorite thing we did in December. She still talks about it - really wonderful character interaction, okay viewing of the parade, great treats/snacks/etc and a lowkey atmosphere. There were places to sit / benches, although to start with we sidled up to the railing for a view of the parade. I took my then-4 year old and 12 month old. My 4 yo had about 6 other 4 year old girls on the boat, and they all had a blast playing together, it was SO cute!

I wouldn't use it as a be all / end all to see the parade, but moreso for the fun treats and interaction with Tiana and Naveen.

My daughter and I are planning to volunteer at Give Kids the World this in April. We've submitted our applications and let them know when we would be there. We've looked over the jobs available for her age group. Do you get to preference certain jobs (for instance we are super interested in crafting with the kids)?
Yes! We had our choice of location and shift. Just be sure to include your preferences and they will try to match you.

When I went when my son was two -- it was character meals. My wife and I got a fabulous buffet dinner after a long day and my son got to interact with characters without waiting in line. He loved dancing around with them.
--- Now when we went back when he was 3? The only character meal we went to (Disney Junior) was a waste. The food wasn't as good (frankly just wasn't in the mood for that much food at lunch on a hot summer day) and my son developed a phobia of characters (specifically the giant-headed Disney Junior characters) and screamed when they approached the table (luckily his cousins still had a fun time). I was steamed, but he was probably just hot and tired too.

I would have to say the next thing WILL be the Express Bus option. While expensive, I plan on utilizing that in a month to get from DHS to MK. The concept of going park-to-park without having to go through security again seems like a huge time saver (especially when you have little ones!). I am looking forward to spending that money to make our short day in DHS worth it.

Bringing to life an old thread.

May sound a bit weird and different.... but... the best/most fun/extra-fee thing we did in December 2016 was... renting a golf cart at Fort Wilderness! We drove all over the property during the day, had dinner at Trails End, then drove around in the golf cart and looked at all the campsite Christmas decorations in the dark! It was so much fun! My husband loved this! I think the golf cart rental was only $62. Will never forget this experience!

You won't be able to cover as much, but you can walk through the loops as well or go on the horse drawn wagon/sleigh rides. Walking it allows you to talk to the campers that decorated their sites. They love talking about their decorations. I do it, and Halloween every year.

@FastPasser.

We are thinking of doing this Thanksgiving week. We have plans for HDD at 4pm. After the show, I was thinking of renting a cart and riding around checking out the lights. Any thoughts? From the show, where do I go to rent a golf cart? Thanks.

From the show, where do I go to rent a golf cart?
It's at the front of Fort Wilderness. Because you'll be there on very busy camping week, I would reserve the golf cart well ahead of time. You can reserve it up to one year in advance by calling 407-824-2742.

When you arrive at the Fort for the show, just pick it up and take it to the show instead of taking the bus. There's golf cart parking there.

It's at the front of Fort Wilderness. Because you'll be there on very busy camping week, I would reserve the golf cart well ahead of time. You can reserve it up to one year in advance by calling 407-824-2742.

When you arrive at the Fort for the show, just pick it up and take it to the show instead of taking the bus. There's golf cart parking there.

Thanks.

What would you suggest if we are arriving via the boat from MK? It looks like we could get off the boat at the Lodge, then get the cart and travel over to the show. Is that possible?

UPDATE:
Just got a reservation for the cart. I also now have an answer to my earlier question. They said to take boat to the Settlement area, then take internal bus to front. Then travel back to show via the cart. If we are running tight on time, we could skip boat and do uber/lyft.

Last edited:
This is great - so many fun ideas here and a whole week long trip I'm needing to plan for!!

Old thread-new life-but still great ideas
1-Wild Africa trek-even in August-So. Much. Fun. (helps we got a great CM discount)
2-Dessert party at MK on Dec 30th-so nice to sit and watch fireworks on new years eve eve out of the crowd!
3-Golf cart rental for the week we spent at cabin in Fort Wilderness. Kids still talk about this.
4-Caring for Giants Tour-another great tour at my favorite park!
5-No longer there but the Express Bus was worth every penny! Of all the upcharges now going on this is the one I would have consistently spent money on!!

Has anyone done the caring for giants tour at akl? A lot of the tours are for older kids but I have a 5 and 7 year old. This looks like it might be enjoyable as they love animals and it is pretty reasonable. Just curious if anyone had any feedback.

Has anyone done the caring for giants tour at akl? A lot of the tours are for older kids but I have a 5 and 7 year old. This looks like it might be enjoyable as they love animals and it is pretty reasonable. Just curious if anyone had any feedback.

I have done this tour. You get a really good view of the elephants and can ask as many questions as you like. You do go back stage but not into any of the animal care areas. They take you to an area where you can observe the elephants, it is on the other side of what you see from the safari. Basically if you don't see them from you vehicle on Kilimanjaro they are probably back closer to this area. It was fun when I went but I didn't have kids with.

Disney’s Very Merry Christmas Party- the first time was magical. The weather was cool, hot chocolate, hot cocoa, carolers, cookies, snow, and rides.

We did Wild Africa Trek when it was first offered, and it was hands down the best tour we've been on. The most detailed was the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour, but I think you really need to love trains to get your money's worth (plus, it was freezing cold the morning we did it - probably high 30s to low 40s, so we were miserable).

EMM at MK for sure. Worth every penny. Don't know about the HS one yet, but have both booked for November!

Perfectly princess tea at GF- ridiculously expensive but worth it for the memories and photos I have with my then 4 year old Aurora loving DD!

DAH, Frozen Desert Party at Epcot, Pirates & Pals was great for Wishes. haven't done it with HEA. Planning on doing it Christmas Eve this year for holiday wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter