• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Best time for Safari

O2BNWDW

Mouseketeer
Help!

I know this question has been asked a million times before, but I cannot find a "definitive" answer.

Is it best to go on Kilimanjaro Safaris in the morning or evening?

For my October trip, evening would probably work best (2 or 3pm)with the itinerary I currently have. But I don't want to "rob" my DNi's and DN since this is their first time EVER to WDW.

Oh and park is open 9-5 the day we will be attending.

I would appreciate any and ALL information and experiences at all times of the day! :confused:

Almost everything I've ever read or heard says early morning. We went first thing one morning back in February (about 9:30 a.m.) and saw lots of animals. It was a kind of cool, overcast morning, so I think that helped alot too. Never been in the evening, but I can tell you that morning was great.:)

I think the best time is first thing in the morning. While I have never done it - everyone who has said that all the animals are out in the AM.

I normally get on this ride about 11am and I still see a good share of animals!

Thanks for the quick responses crzy4mk and nickunited, morning has always been my thought also.

Anyone care to share any afternoon experiences?

My DH and I are not morning people so we've never done the safari in the morning and when we usually go in the afternoon, it's always still been good! We also like to go in the late afternoon, about an hour before closing when everyone else is leaving we just ride the safari over and over. Also, if it starts to rain, definitely head for the safari - the animals get really active in the rain!

you know - I used to be part of the bunch that would say "morning"...however we've ridden the safari all times of the day (at least 3 times PER VISIT to the park) and we've seen animals all the time.

if it's a cooler day (or slightly rainy) - you'll see more "action"...if it's super hot out, of course the animals are going to be a bit more lethargic.

morning is mostly active because that's when they are first let out on the savannah...they are just roaming around, looking for a good place to settle down for the day (that's why the Sunrise safari - offered to Concierge level guests at AKL - is so great...you see them as they are being released onto the savannah at 7am...they are REALLY active then!)

I went twice. The first time was just after the park opened (9am), but it was a very hot day and we saw only a few animals.

I went back later afternoon (3.30) and it was cooler and overcast. Saw far far more animals. I think weather conditions are more important than time.

I still think best bet is when the park opens because it is likely to be the coolest part of the day unless you get on in the afternoon conditions I did (no guarantee of that!)

I used to think that it couldn't get any better than the cool morning we rode it in Jan, but I didn't notice a difference between that time and riding it last week in the hot afternnoon. I did notice that if the animals are not in view, the guide doesn't even mention them, so you don't really know you're missing anything. Simple, I know, but I find it fascinating how Disney does whatever it can to make it magical for us, LOL.

We were there in late August and despite (or because of?) my obsessive "pre-planning", my gang was just not up for an early AK morning. Plus the kids wanted to stop and meet the various characters along the way. Go figure!

Much to my dismay (because it was against all the best advice I'd read everywhere), we hit the safari around noon on a VERY hot and sunny day. But... we were all very pleasantly surprised at the variety and number of animals we saw during our safari! While I'd love to go back and do it "the right way" sometime (early morning, late day, overcast or rainy day), we were very happy with our experience. Enjoy! :wave2:

On our trip in May, we rode the safari first thing on a non-EE morning, first thing on an EE morning, and in the late afternoon around closing time. The most animals were out in the late afternoon the day we went. In fact, we rode it several times in a row up until closing time that day...it was great! The next time we went back was the EE morning, and we were disappointed.

Beth

Thank you so much for all of the input...DIS'ers ROCK! :worship:

You all have comforted my planning neurosis (or is that neurosees?) :crazy:

And to think I was almost didn't ask for fear of embarassment.

Pixie dust to you all!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter