Best time to go?

webcreatrix

DIS Veteran
We're WDW vets - me, DH, DD15, DS12. DD would like to visit Hollywood. DS would like to see a Lakers game. I know basketball ends in March-ish, so the Lakers game might not be doable. We want 3 days LA, 3 days Disneyland, and 2 days at the beach. We could go in March, June-August, or even in October. We'd like good weather, not hot as we usually do WDW in June or August and would like a break from the heat. We are from Texas so we are used to the heat, but part of the appeal of Disneyland is not such hot weather. Because we are from Texas, water has to be pretty warm for us to swim. Can we enjoy the beaches of California if it's not super hot out? I know there are tide pools and whale watching, which we've not experienced having only been to Texas and Florida beaches. Thoughts on the best time to go to maximize the enjoyment of all three areas of our trip?

Laker tickets are going to run about $150 and they still sell out every game, so likely more if they're resale. You'd probably be better of trying to get tickets locally and planning a short trip to somewhere within driving distance, even if you have to spend the night. Your best chance for not hot weather is in March. It can be very hot at any time during the year, including October. There's really no way to predict So Cal weather, as it can vary 30-40 degrees within a week or even the same day. It does tend to be less humid here, but it has been unusually humid for the past 2-3 summers to the point that I'm worried it's the new normal. Not as bad as I've experienced other places, but 60-75% humidity for several weeks in a row is pretty miserable, even if it barely breaks 90 degrees.

We're WDW vets - me, DH, DD15, DS12. DD would like to visit Hollywood. DS would like to see a Lakers game. I know basketball ends in March-ish, so the Lakers game might not be doable. We want 3 days LA, 3 days Disneyland, and 2 days at the beach. We could go in March, June-August, or even in October. We'd like good weather, not hot as we usually do WDW in June or August and would like a break from the heat. We are from Texas so we are used to the heat, but part of the appeal of Disneyland is not such hot weather. Because we are from Texas, water has to be pretty warm for us to swim. Can we enjoy the beaches of California if it's not super hot out? I know there are tide pools and whale watching, which we've not experienced having only been to Texas and Florida beaches. Thoughts on the best time to go to maximize the enjoyment of all three areas of our trip?
If you want to go in the ocean the best time for that is August. The waters in SoCal are pretty cold. I would guess a lot of 65-70 F earlier in June but up to low 70's by August. See http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Newportbeach/seatemp
In March the water will be way too cold to go in.

For DLR itself, I like late June best. July is good and August can be but also can still get pretty warm. Not like Orlando but still warm.

Be careful with March or October at DLR as those are off-season months. See "What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

:wizard:

Waters are usually the warmest July-September. It's been hovering around 75-77 degrees for the past three or four weeks. That's about as warm as the water gets here. No guarantees thought because some summers th waters just never warm up. The weather has been pretty hot this summer. In July we had many 90-100 days! October is generally pretty hot weather wise. Water temps are usually lower in October though. March waters will be much too cold for swimming but the weather should be much nicer. Warm but not too hot. March would be good for whale watching if you want beach things to do in March.

and there is a trip report from a texan who thought she could handle the anahiem weather....she told us that the weather was difficult to handle during her summer. trip ...she was not prepared for what she experienced....but of course she was visiting during an extreme heat wave and in texas she never sat on a sidewalk waiting for a parade.

Waters are usually the warmest July-September. It's been hovering around 75-77 degrees for the past three or four weeks. That's about as warm as the water gets here. No guarantees thought because some summers th waters just never warm up. The weather has been pretty hot this summer. In July we had many 90-100 days! October is generally pretty hot weather wise. Water temps are usually lower in October though. March waters will be much too cold for swimming but the weather should be much nicer. Warm but not too hot. March would be good for whale watching if you want beach things to do in March.
I checked Newport Beach today and it said 72 F. That is what I was referring to in my PP. Whatever the actual temperature is I think most would agree the best it ever gets in SoCal is tolerable. In my experience most visitors to California who do not know are pretty shocked by how cold the water is. :cold: I was trying to convey that to the OP. If you agree that most people find the water pretty cold then we are on the same page. :) I think the main thing for the OP is that if they want to go in the water then August (or maybe July or September as you mentioned) is the time to go. I totally agree with that. :thumbsup2

It's almost 5pm and it's 81 degrees and 59% humidity in Anaheim right now. Another thing that I keep being surprised by this summer is how late it stays close to the upper end of the forecast.

I checked Newport Beach today and it said 72 F. That is what I was referring to in my PP. Whatever the actual temperature is I think most would agree the best it ever gets in SoCal is tolerable. In my experience most visitors to California who do not know are pretty shocked by how cold the water is. :cold: I was trying to convey that to the OP. If you agree that most people find the water pretty cold then we are on the same page. :)

We are definitely on the same page. Although I think it depends on where you are visiting from. I have seen tourists swimming in the fall and winter and I have to wonder where there are from! On the flip side I went to visit my friend in the Bahamas in November and she wouldn't go in the water because she said it was too cold. It was over 80 degrees and felt great to us!

Laker tickets are going to run about $150 and they still sell out every game, so likely more if they're resale. You'd probably be better of trying to get tickets locally and planning a short trip to somewhere within driving distance, even if you have to spend the night. Your best chance for not hot weather is in March. It can be very hot at any time during the year, including October. There's really no way to predict So Cal weather, as it can vary 30-40 degrees within a week or even the same day. It does tend to be less humid here, but it has been unusually humid for the past 2-3 summers to the point that I'm worried it's the new normal. Not as bad as I've experienced other places, but 60-75% humidity for several weeks in a row is pretty miserable, even if it barely breaks 90 degrees.

We are in Dallas and have seen the Mavericks play the Thunder. I understand the appeal of seeing the Lakers at Staples Center, but I think you're right. I may have to make this a lower priority for our trip and disappoint my son a bit. March would have whale watching, though, right?

If you want to go in the ocean the best time for that is August. The waters in SoCal are pretty cold. I would guess a lot of 65-70 F earlier in June but up to low 70's by August. See http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Newportbeach/seatemp
In March the water will be way too cold to go in.

For DLR itself, I like late June best. July is good and August can be but also can still get pretty warm. Not like Orlando but still warm.

Be careful with March or October at DLR as those are off-season months. See "What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

Thank you, @HydroGuy. I have read your guide more than a few times. I'm really coming to the conclusion there is not going to be one perfect time for everything. I have been eyeing those days in the third week of June with the AP blackouts as maybe our best opportunity for the parks, if not for beaches.

and there is a trip report from a texan who thought she could handle the anahiem weather....she told us that the weather was difficult to handle during her summer. trip ...she was not prepared for what she experienced....but of course she was visiting during an extreme heat wave and in texas she never sat on a sidewalk waiting for a parade.

I totally get that. We've done WDW in August a few times. Everyone here in Texas wonder why in the world we'd go to Florida in August. Usually we get home and find N Texas hotter than Florida. Unfortunate heat wave this year in Anaheim it sounds like. I think that's what's "scaring" me. I told my husband we can handle lines better if it's not so hot, but the weather can be unpredictable!

I checked Newport Beach today and it said 72 F. That is what I was referring to in my PP. Whatever the actual temperature is I think most would agree the best it ever gets in SoCal is tolerable. In my experience most visitors to California who do not know are pretty shocked by how cold the water is. :cold: I was trying to convey that to the OP. If you agree that most people find the water pretty cold then we are on the same page. :) I think the main thing for the OP is that if they want to go in the water then August (or maybe July or September as you mentioned) is the time to go. I totally agree with that. :thumbsup2

We do have a friend who recently relocated to Newport. He's been posting weather updates and thrilled with finally being able to do a bit of snorkeling. My husband hates cold water. He will swim in our pool here now that we're approaching 100 degrees. I am guessing the beaches would be intolerable for him at any time of the year. So, now I'm leaning towards June. I love the idea of wearing hoodies and sweaters for part of the day.

It's almost 5pm and it's 81 degrees and 59% humidity in Anaheim right now. Another thing that I keep being surprised by this summer is how late it stays close to the upper end of the forecast.

Stormy afternoon here, so only 84. Very mild for us! A few years ago we had over 100 days in a row of temps over 100 degrees.

I went to WDW in May and to DL in July and I have to agree with SMD it was hotter in SoCal than FL. I was extremely surprised! I have been to DL many times in the summer but not for a few years and this summer was extremely humid not like other years. I go every October and the weather is perfect! Its warm which I love. The water is going to be pretty cold so, I don't think your going to be able to find warm water besides a heated pool.

Hate the hot weather as Im from Hawaii! i always go late Jan-march. Nice cool weather. Low low crowds short lines!

Y'all, I keep going back and forth - WDW and water parks or DLR and beaches. I think now I'm just unsure of the unknown. If we do Disneyland, I think I'm targeting that week in June with four days of AP blackouts which I know won't be "swimmable". Given how often we've been to WDW, things are feeling a little stale there. Disneyland will be exciting and new, right? We went to London this year, so we're not those people who only visit Disney for vacation. We'd like to go Italy, but will do something domestic and cheaper first before we go back to Europe. I think maybe because I travel to CA for work, it feels less exciting. I know what LA traffic and Santa Monica look like...

Y'all, I keep going back and forth - WDW and water parks or DLR and beaches. I think now I'm just unsure of the unknown. If we do Disneyland, I think I'm targeting that week in June with four days of AP blackouts which I know won't be "swimmable". Given how often we've been to WDW, things are feeling a little stale there. Disneyland will be exciting and new, right? We went to London this year, so we're not those people who only visit Disney for vacation. We'd like to go Italy, but will do something domestic and cheaper first before we go back to Europe. I think maybe because I travel to CA for work, it feels less exciting. I know what LA traffic and Santa Monica look like...
Well I feel excited when I go to WDW as I don't go that often so, I'm sure you will feel the same about DL as they are very different places imo. You will all have fun no matter what you select.

Once you get to DLR the traffic will not matter. In fact will help you as it will slow down locals coming to DLR. :)

You will be able to swim in the ocean in June. It will just be chilly. Lots of people do it. Once you get in and get over the shock, it is fine.

Since you have been to CA already you probably know about June gloom - morning foggy marine layer near the coasts that reaches to Anaheim more often than not.

It is always tricky going from WDW to a first DLR trip, and vice versa. There are enough differences to trip up anyone who is pre-disposed to not like the new resort. IMO anyone who loves Disney and takes the big picture view that they are after Disney magic and not a very specific type of vacation, then that person will have a blast. In other words, don't go to DLR expecting it to be like WDW. If you want something like WDW, well, go to WDW. I love both DLR and WDW and always have a great time at both places.

IMO late June is better than early June if for no other reason you will not get tripped up by grad nights which some folks dislike.

Last edited:
Well... It looks like the best time to go will be over Labor Day weekend! I have to travel to Glendale the last week of the month, so I went ahead and booked the family to join me that Saturday, 9/2. We'll head to Disneyland on Sunday and stay through Wednesday. I'm a little worried about Labor Day crowds, but the price was right last minute and we will all be happy to be there and do what we can do! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter