Best trip insurance?

Myhandsfull

Earning My Ears
So, I wasn't sure where to post this on the DIS forum, but I decided it's about money and cost concerns. My question for the wise hive mind is, where do you buy trip insurance?

We are going to Disney in September for 10 days. We were last there in 2017 and Hurricane Irma knocked two days off of our trip and cancelled our flight home. Our trip insurance paid for itself many times over by paying for the rental car, reimbursing us for lost trip time, and covering gas/food/etc on the way home. It seems prudent to make sure we are covered again, but I'm not convinced that the Disney included travel insurance is the way to go. It worked well last time but there seem to be less expensive options out there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dana

I use a website that apparently gets blocked by the dis censors :rolleyes: and compare what the various companies offer, based on what MY needs are for that particular TRIP :)

I would never book Disney's or DCL's trip insurance. You need a plan for your specific needs, such as pre-existing medical conditions or if you wanted to add on 'cancel for any reason'. If you Google up trip insurance you will find a host of comparison websites and you can check off what you are looking for. I'm glad your claim went through last time and it worked out!

To me the best trip insurance is the cheapest insurance the covers only what you don't already have coverage for.
So start with reviewing your health insurance. My health insurance has always covered us overseas, and covers air evacuation and I suspect more policies may after ACA, BUT CHECK! That is a huge concern for some.

Also, check with your regular insurance company...mine (USAA) gets me a discount on travel insurance thru a third party.

...but I'm not convinced that the Disney included travel insurance is the way to go. It worked well last time but there seem to be less expensive options out there

I agree. When companies like Disney or a cruise line offer insurance through them I have found they are not always the best option. You can usually find better options with more things covered if you use another company.

The best trip insurance covers everything that YOU need it to cover.

I think I use the same site that @LuckyMamaInDE uses. As she said it gets blocked by the DIS censors and we also have to be careful trying to skirt around it. I got a reprimand once time because I didn't know it was a no-no to mention it as it gets mentioned a a cruising message board I use all the time so I didn't know it was a big deal.

There are a couple broker sites that shows a lot of different coverage and companies and can be found doing a google search.

I believe the best combination of comprehensive insurance and good value is by charging the trip on the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. Doesn't cost anything extra.

I am a USAA member and they offer insurance with Travel Insured International. I believe they have three plans? https://www.travelinsured.com/

My daughter is going on a trip to Costa Rica with EF Tours and the teacher recommended we all buy their travel insurance as everyone on their last trip purchased it and the last trip they did get delayed enroute (departing Miami I believe). She says it covers if delays, medical, etc. Their insurance is Global Travel Protection. Teacher said it paid for itself several times over.

I can't hurt to get a couple quotes for different companies to see which plan works best for you and your budget.

I use a website that apparently gets blocked by the dis censors :rolleyes: and compare what the various companies offer, based on what MY needs are for that particular TRIP :)
Yeah, travel insurance is a very sensitive subject with the DIS board owners, especially over on the Cruise Line Forum.
Like I said, do you homework. Travel Insurance is buying peace of mind. It is the most profitable line of insurance written since very few claims in excess of the premium paid are paid out, and travel insurance companies are very aggressive in recovering what they paid out if someone else is to blame.
My Travel Agent stopped selling or making recommendations on travel insurances. They make clients sign acknowledgements saying that the agency has no position on travel insurance and that it is a personal choice. They got caught up in a lawsuit when a client's employer canceled his vacation the day before an expensive cruise. The Travel Insurance carrier promptly paid, and promptly sued the employer and eventually won. The employer had to pay back what the Travel Insurance carrier paid out, and their court costs. My Travel Agency just decided getting caught in that type situation again was not worth it.

First of all, look at what you have covered already through insurance policies and credit cards. Many people are fortunate enough to have some coverage there, although NOT EVERYBODY does.

If you decide that you need trip insurance in addition to what you may already have, consider asking specific people or visiting other travel forums. The Rick Steves travel forum is a good option for trip insurance suggestions, for example.

So start with reviewing your health insurance. My health insurance has always covered us overseas, and covers air evacuation and I suspect more policies may after ACA, BUT CHECK! That is a huge concern for some.

That's a good point for when it comes to things related to needing heath care when on a trip. But trip insurance is not just for health related issue and it covers a lot more that you health insurance will.

For example a number of years ago we had to cancel an Alaskan Cruise less then 30 days before we sailed due to a health issue for my wife. It was a pre-existing condition so we were sure to get Pre-existing coverage. Our health insurance of course covered her hospital stay and surgery but it didn't cover the cost of the trip we had to cancel, the trip insurance did. If you slip an fall and break an arm in the airport while waiting to board your plane and have to miss your flight trip insurance will help in getting re-booked (if you can still make the trip). If your luggage gets lost trip insurance may cover you buying new clothes etc.

That's a good point for when it comes to things related to needing heath care when on a trip. But trip insurance is not just for health related issue and it covers a lot more that you health insurance will.

For example a number of years ago we had to cancel an Alaskan Cruise less then 30 days before we sailed due to a health issue for my wife. It was a pre-existing condition so we were sure to get Pre-existing coverage. Our health insurance of course covered her hospital stay and surgery but it didn't cover the cost of the trip we had to cancel, the trip insurance did. If you slip an fall and break an arm in the airport while waiting to board your plane and have to miss your flight trip insurance will help in getting re-booked (if you can still make the trip). If your luggage gets lost trip insurance may cover you buying new clothes etc.
Well, funny you should use an Alaskan Cruise as an example. My mom became ill (diagnosed with cancer on Monday, had a stroke on Wednesday )in April 2012, and I had to take over her financial affairs. She was booked on a HAL Alaskan cruise in June. I contacted the Travel Agent (the same one I mentioned above) that booked it. She explained the situation to HAL, who refunded the full fare, and Alaska Airlines refunded the air fare, no questions asked. Now, neither was a pre-existing condition. But as the Travel Agent put it, no reputable cruise line or airline is going to refuse a refund in a catastrophic situation, from someone who had been a loyal customer for decades, especially from a Travel Agency that books a lot of business with them.

Well, funny you should use an Alaskan Cruise as an example. My mom became ill (diagnosed with cancer on Monday, had a stroke on Wednesday )in April 2012, and I had to take over her financial affairs. She was booked on a HAL Alaskan cruise in June. I contacted the Travel Agent (the same one I mentioned above) that booked it. She explained the situation to HAL, who refunded the full fare, and Alaska Airlines refunded the air fare, no questions asked. Now, neither was a pre-existing condition. But as the Travel Agent put it, no reputable cruise line or airline is going to refuse a refund in a catastrophic situation, from someone who had been a loyal customer for decades, especially from a Travel Agency that books a lot of business with them.

I have found Jetblue to be very good in that they have waived the change fee and put the total amount in a travel bank for future use. But when I cancelled with NCL I told them she had cancer and had to undergo a 10 hour surgery they told me how much the refund would be. We were within a cancellation period where we would still about 1/4 of what we had paid so luckily we had trip insurance and it made us whole. The airlines and cruise lines are under no obligation to refund your money if you are within the cancellation period and I have read quite a few stories on a cruise website where people did not get anything back as they were too close to sailing. Now some cruise lines seem to be better than others with refunds and especially as you mentioned if you have been a loyal customer. But not everyone is.

I have found Jetblue to be very good in that they have waived the change fee and put the total amount in a travel bank for future use. But when I cancelled with NCL I told them she had cancer and had to undergo a 10 hour surgery they told me how much the refund would be. We were within a cancellation period where we would still about 1/4 of what we had paid so luckily we had trip insurance and it made us whole. The airlines and cruise lines are under no obligation to refund your money if you are within the cancellation period and I have read quite a few stories on a cruise website where people did not get anything back as they were too close to sailing. Now some cruise lines seem to be better than others with refunds and especially as you mentioned if you have been a loyal customer. But not everyone is.
I really have to wonder if the fact that I used a Travel Agent that books a lot of business with HAL and Alaska Airlines played a role. But like the Travel Agent put it, in this Internet age, me Yelping a negative review about them if they didn't give a refund probably would have cost them more than giving the refund.

I really have to wonder if the fact that I used a Travel Agent that books a lot of business with HAL and Alaska Airlines played a role. But like the Travel Agent put it, in this Internet age, me Yelping a negative review about them if they didn't give a refund probably would have cost them more than giving the refund.

I would imagine that played a big part of it. They want the business and don't want to tick off a TA that brings them lots of business. It also helped that the cruise was about 2 months out as it would give them a chance to still sell that cabin. I wonder if they would have been so accommodating if it had been a last minute cancellation?

DW was supposed to go to DL with us last summer but had a health issue last min so it became a daddy/daughter trip. The trip was a birthday present for our DD for her 9th birthday so it would have been very tough to take that away from her. We didn't bother with trip insurance this time because just about everything was either refundable or able to be cancelled with out a penalty. The only thing that wasn't totally refundable was the airline ticket but I knew JetBlue's policy and we would get all but $150 back in a travel bank credit. I could not see paying $75 so I could get a total of $150 back. But when I called JB to cancel her I told them she could not fly due to doctors orders they asked a few questions and gave me the total amount back in the travel bank. We also had booked and paid for "A Walk In Walt's Footsteps" tour in advance. When we checked in I told them it would only be two of us as my wife could not make it. The CM asked if everything was OK and I told them she was under doctors orders not to fly. She then told me she needed a credit card to process a refund. I even said to her that I thought the tour was not refundable. She said normally it was but as it was a health issue they could make an exception for us. It was great to experience some amazing customer service.

I would imagine that played a big part of it. They want the business and don't want to tick off a TA that brings them lots of business. It also helped that the cruise was about 2 months out as it would give them a chance to still sell that cabin. I wonder if they would have been so accommodating if it had been a last minute cancellation?

DW was supposed to go to DL with us last summer but had a health issue last min so it became a daddy/daughter trip. The trip was a birthday present for our DD for her 9th birthday so it would have been very tough to take that away from her. We didn't bother with trip insurance this time because just about everything was either refundable or able to be cancelled with out a penalty. The only thing that wasn't totally refundable was the airline ticket but I knew JetBlue's policy and we would get all but $150 back in a travel bank credit. I could not see paying $75 so I could get a total of $150 back. But when I called JB to cancel her I told them she could not fly due to doctors orders they asked a few questions and gave me the total amount back in the travel bank. We also had booked and paid for "A Walk In Walt's Footsteps" tour in advance. When we checked in I told them it would only be two of us as my wife could not make it. The CM asked if everything was OK and I told them she was under doctors orders not to fly. She then told me she needed a credit card to process a refund. I even said to her that I thought the tour was not refundable. She said normally it was but as it was a health issue they could make an exception for us. It was great to experience some amazing customer service.

Yes, some companies still believe in customer service. In my mom's case, it wouldn't have been a financial hardship if she did not get a refund, as I recall the cruise with air fare was just under $800. Mind you, this was an expensive cruise to her, she always seemed to find off season 7 day cruises for $299 to $399!

In all the trips/cruises I have taken I only purchased travel insurance once. It was for a Disney Cruise and I got the insurance for the reasons below.
1) It cost about three times what any other cruise I have taken cost.
2) It involved flying cross country during winter (December 27 through January 3)
3) It involved flying cross country during a peak holiday travel season.

Thanks for the advice! Going during hurricane season, and with a three graduations/20th anniversary celebration style trip planned for 10 days with lots of extras, I'm definitely getting trip insurance of some kind. I feel like the peace of mind is worth the investment. I will see if I can identify the censored website and compare some prices! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter