best two - way radios for the parks?

leechie

Earning My Ears
has any one used two way radios in the parks, and what was the reception like? are there any models that will work in the u.s & also in the u.k? thank you.

We used the FRS (Family Radio Service) two way radios on our last trip to WDW and the worked great! Motorola makes the best ( they started it all) Here are some suggestions

1) get radios with 14 channels and 38 sub channels (less interference by other radios)

2) get radios with a call alert (helpful in noisey places)

3) get radios with a talk confirmation tone (a "Roger" beep-it let's you know when the other person is finished talking)

These radios are good for an approximate 2 mile range based on weather and ground conditions (buildings, trees, obstruction, etc).

Our radios worked great at the Parks. I am not sure how they would work in England. A good one to consider is the Motorola Model T5100 which is approximately $70 USD.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me for any other questions.

Back Again
That $70.00 (USD) cost was for two radios. They make more expensive radios
(over $100.00 each) that have more "Bells and Whistles" that are not necessary.

They are well worth the investment, especially if your with people who tend to wander off
they are a terrific time saver.

One word of caution be careful not to loose them. You loose one and the other one becomes useless. Be careful especially going on rides. I lost one on the first day; at the first park; on the first ride and had to go buy another one.

We are taking 6 with us in Nov. Another nice thing about these radios is that you can use multiple radios and they work with other brands

Hope this helps

I am going on my first trip to Disney on 9/21 (ONLY 15 more days!!!), but we have gone to other parks in the past and have used the two-way radios. They work great. We went out and bought 4 BellSouth radios about 2 years ago, and they are great. They are really good when you have to meet someone somewhere. We only spent about $20.00 (USD) on each of ours, however you can spend up to $100.00(USD) on them. Just look for what you need and get that. If you just want a basic 14 channel (this is what we have) get that, but the more "perks" you want the more the radios will cost you.

Roachie:wave:

do you know of a web site that we can order the radios from, that will ship to the u.k.thanks

You can buy them from WWW. Amazon.com ; Sharperimage.com or possibly Ebay.com
You might consider purchasing them in Orlando when you get there for two reasons

1) you get a chance to try them out to see how they work and at the same time through the information that comes with the radio, you should be able to contact the manufacturer and confirm they will work in Merry Old England.

2) If the units won't work in the UK , simply return them and get your money back. After you first used at WDW ( there is normally a 30 day return policy, just tell them you were not happy with the way they worked)

In Orlando you can purchase them just about anywhere ( ie: Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, K-Mart, etc)

When are you planning to go to WDW?

It's not just a matter of will they work; they may be illegal in other countries, since the frequency band used in the US may be reserved for other devices in the UK, etc. I'd strongly suggest buying such devices in the country in which you intend to use them. For UK citizens planning to visit US, it makes sense to buy US models, but be aware you may not be able to use them at home. (I am not expert; but have heard FRS models are only for use in US and Canada.)

thank you all for the info. looks like i'll have to wait til we get there and buy them. once again thank you.

tommybob.... i am realy sorry for not replying as you can imagine, with the events of the last few days, my mind has been els where. i realy can't imagine how you are all feeling , i have only a love for America and it's people after my first visit in 1989,we are planning to visit on 6 dec 2001. and will be staying in orlando for 3 weeks after of which we go to st.petes for 6 days, hence the radios. thank you for your info . it was spot on!!!!

Leechie,
I was curios as to when you were going to WDW. I thought, by coincidence, if we were going to be there at the same time, I would be willing to assist you in the selection of your purchase of Two-way radios if you had not already purchased them yet. But we are going in early Nov.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the terrible tragedy that has been put upon America by a bunch of cowardly SCUM. The response from the people of the UK and Europe has been very comforting. This has been a very trying time for all Americans. It's been very tough on me. I have never experienced so many emotions at one time. I can only imagine what the people of New York and Washington must feel, especially those who have lost loved ones.
Since this deplorable act of WAR was committed against us, I have thought many times
" So must have been what it was like to live in London during WW II" Britain survived an so shall we!

I envy you for being able to go to Orlando for 3 weeks, especially at Christmas time!
I sincerly hope you and your family have a great time

Thank you
Tom McGinnis

tommybob... thank you for your reply, i'm sorry you won't be in orlando the same time as we are we depart the u.k on 6 dec and return on the 1 jan 2002 , we have a soft spot for America and the American people, who we have found to be a nation of caring and kind and in many ways stright forward with no her's or graces, i can not imagine the feelings over there right now, but can only say our prayers are with you all. since our first trip back in dec 1989 , we try to save to return when we can. once again thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter