Best way for Deluxe AP holders to get in during Holidays?

countofmc

Mouseketeer
DW and I have Deluxe APs expiring on the 29th, but doesn't matter since we are blacked out anyways. We may be in SoCal that last week of December, so wouldn't mind taking a trip to DL for 2-3 days if we can make it work. Obviously the most straightforward way to do it is to just buy 2 or 3 day hoppers, but I'm wondering if there's a more cost efficient/better way to go about it. Here are some options we are thinking of and questions:

(1) Upgrading to Signature Plus APs: I understand we can do this, but we'd have to pay the ENTIRE difference and our APs would expire on the 29th anyways, so this wouldn't be cost efficient. But would they let us technically purchase "separate" Signature Plus APs while our Deluxe APs are still effective? So in essence instead of renewing our Deluxe APs, we'd just be buying separate Sig Plus APs. That way we get in, and then we can have flexibility of visiting a couple of times next year during peak times as well.

(2) Renewing Deluxe APs: If we do this in person, will they let us in the parks that day? Wasn't too clear how a renewal before expiration works for that 1 day privilege. Then we might just do this, and then buy a 1 or 2 day hopper to finish out our trip.

(3) This is more of just a question. Buying 2 or 3 day hoppers: If we buy separate tickets to get in on days while our APs are blacked out, can we still use the 10% discount on food/merchandise on those days?

I can speak to using your AP for discounts... I was in the parks in July while my AP was blacked out (a CM signed me in) and I was able to use my AP for discounts on food with no problem.

1. No. The same person cannot hold more than one AP at a time.

2. Yes. Blockout dates do not apply on your first day of your AP OR when you renew in person.

3. Yes. The discounts on your AP have no blockout dates.

2. Yes. Blockout dates do not apply on your first day of your AP OR when you renew in person.

Thanks. A definite "no" to the first question really clarifies my options. I guess I'll have to decide how long I want to be in the parks and then my future plans for next year to decide whether to renew the APs during the Holidays to get in that day or just buy single day tickets.

Thanks. A definite "no" to the first question really clarifies my options. I guess I'll have to decide how long I want to be in the parks and then my future plans for next year to decide whether to renew the APs during the Holidays to get in that day or just buy single day tickets.

I wouldn't be too sure about the first one. I actually have a Premier pass right now, but also pre-purchased a Signature Plus pass that I will activate when my Premier expires in April (I pre-bought it with the idea that the APs may increase in price from now until then). So, both are in my name, though one isn't activated yet. You would probably need to contact Guest Services to make sure you could have 2 APs at the same time, even if they just overlap for a day.

If you do decide to go, make sure to consider the pass cost difference, but also the higher discounts, included Maxpass, and free parking, but also no $50 AP renewal discount. If you are doing 3-day PH's, you would probably come out ahead with the Sig+, so it could be worth your while to go to Guest Services before getting day tickets!

I question the first answer as well. Did you read somewhere that a person can hold only one? I've yet to see that fine print and would love to know where to locate it exactly. Please and thank you.

I can't find it, but I swear I remember someone posting about their child technically holding two passes because of an issue with the other parent/ex spouse.

I can't imagine why Disney would limit someone to only one pass per person. It's money in their pockets.

I'd buy Signature Plus APs if you are sure you will visit again in the upcoming year. You'll get MaxPass for free with it.

If you don't think you'll visit again in the next year, just buy the daily tickets and use your APs for the discounts.

Last edited:
I'd buy Signature APs if you are sure you will visit again in the upcoming year. You'll get MaxPass for free with it.

If you don't think you'll visit again in the next year, just buy the daily tickets and use your APs for the discounts.

Max Pass only comes with Signature Plus. For all other passes it’s a $75 upgrade.

Max Pass only comes with Signature Plus. For all other passes it’s a $75 upgrade.
Yes, thanks for fixing that. I realized after I was away from the forum that I mentioned Sig instead of Signature Plus. Regular Signature is blocked during the time that the OP is going to visit.

I question the first answer as well. Did you read somewhere that a person can hold only one? I've yet to see that fine print and would love to know where to locate it exactly. Please and thank you.

I can't find it, but I swear I remember someone posting about their child technically holding two passes because of an issue with the other parent/ex spouse.

I can't imagine why Disney would limit someone to only one pass per person. It's money in their pockets.
I have personally held 2 passes. I had a deluxe and wanted to go on a black out day and it was only a week before my pass expired, so I simply bought a new pass. So for a week, I held 2 passes.

That said, it might be cheaper to just buy the tickets instead of buying a pass. Another idea is buy the tickets and on the last day use them to upgrade to a new deluxe pass, if that is all you need for the next year.

I wonder if getting separate tickets then using them to upgrade/renew your passes at the end of the trip would be something you could do? That way you're not losing out on the money toward the tickets but you could still go in while blocked out?

I thought they were selling blockout tix again? Was that just during a certain period earlier this year?

I thought they were selling blockout tix again? Was that just during a certain period earlier this year?
They sold them for a 3/4 week period during the summertime for the end of MSEP. It was also to get people in the parks since summer crowds this year were that of what the off season used to look like.

They sold them for a 3/4 week period during the summertime for the end of MSEP. It was also to get people in the parks since summer crowds this year were that of what the off season used to look like.

Ah, I had forgotten the details. That makes sense...our August trip was probably the least crowded one we had all year. Opposite times.

Ah, I had forgotten the details. That makes sense...our August trip was probably the least crowded one we had all year. Opposite times.
Yeah, I was there every Saturday in July and on July 4th and the 14th and I don't remember a time when the park was that pleasant besides being there in the rain last December. Most rides had near immediate FPs and standbys for E-Tickets were extremely reasonable. I would love if this coming summer is like that but I'm not holding my breath.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter