best way thru atlanta rush hour

littleducksmom

Mouseketeer
well unfortunately for us we will be driving thru atlanta down i-75 around 4 pm next friday, 1/24.......anyone have any suggestions at all? as we have been in rush hour traffic here before........ugh!

i am thinking about just doing the diamond lane thru downtown on i-75 and not taking the bypass.......i would love to hear any other ideas.........thanks

Stop at Dobbins AFB in Marietta, drive your car onto a C-130 transport plane, and have them fly you and your car to Moody AFB near Valdosta.

:teeth: :jester: :teeth: :jester: :teeth:

Okay, all kidding aside. Traffic on I-285 can be as bad as traffic going through Atlanta on I-75 or I-85. The HOV lanes would be your best option.

Keep your radio tuned to a news station for traffic updates. WSB 750 AM is good.

For an alternative, I was looking at a map and taking I-65 from Nashville to Montgomery and then either US 231 through Dothan down to I-10 or US 82 through Albany to I-75 in south GA might be options around Atlanta completely. Has anyone else travelled either of these routes? What are they like?

good idea bout the plane.......lol.

actually that alternative route is one of my options but it appears to add 3 hours to the drive for me from st louis. i was only going to take it if the weather doesnt look like it will be cooperating across tennessee and northern georgia. i am figuring that rush hour will only add an hour to our drive thru atlanta??? an hour delay due to rush hour will still make the drive 2 hours shorter for us than that alternate route. i prefer the i-75 way since we have driven that way many times......and never driven the other way.

i would also like to know what the drive is like the other way, maybe someone can add some comments re: that.

I have used the HOV lane during rush hour and found it to be non stop all the way thru downtown while massive traffic jams occurred on the other lanes. However, I have ran into problems before and after the lane ends. Still plan for extra time.

I'm interested in knowing about 231 or 82, too.

Is the Diamond lane for through traffic or cars with multiple occupants? Thanks.

HOV: High Occupancy Vehicle Lane. You must have one or more passengers with you. Nice thing is--NO TRUCKS!

Here's an idea...how about starting your trip so you drive through Atlanta around 3-4am?

We live in West Central Indiana. From 'this neck of the woods', if we leave around 6-7pm, we hit Nashville at 11:30pm, Atlanta around 3-4am and arrive at WDW around 11am (and hopefully just in time to get an early check-in). What's nice about this plan is:
1) You have all day to make last minute preparations before departure.
2) The traffic has lightened greatly by 7pm.
3) Its dusk / dark / dawn (which may not be an option for some) for over half the trip, so no sun blinding to worry about.
4) If traveling with kids, they can watch a couple movies until 11-12 then (hopefully) 'zonk-out' until the next morning...giving you and your significant other some quiet time.

Of course there are disadvantages in traveling at night:
1) The traffic & cop ratio narrows, making you most susceptible to traffic stops ( :) I had no idea I was driving 85MPH officer. My speedometer is out of calibration and my wheels are oversized :) )
2) More wild animal activity in early evening and early morning hours.
3) Your forward viewing range is lessened because it is dark.
4) Rest areas and pit stops that look 'safe' at day take on a totally different personality at night. What is 'safe' at day may not be approachable at night.
5) Fewer restaurants
6) Few (if any) open attractions along the way

I'm sure there are other pros and cons and my listing may ruffle some feathers.

So, here’s my 'disclaimer'
:) The above listing of pros and cons only represent the opinions of this DIS member and may or may not reflect the opinion of fellow DIS members or www.disboards.com :)

steven....actually driving thru the nite is how we(dh and
i) usually drive it.......but this time it's just me and my mother and my 2 and 10 yo ds..........i dont think i can drive thru the nite....and i am sure my mom cant. we are just gonna go for it.......using the hov lanes. i have a hotel reserved in cordelle ga if i get tired of driving.....also have a hotel in ocala reserved if it looks like i can make it even further........the next day it's on to wdw!!

i do agree with you tho about the nite driving being easier......just cant do it this trip....cause i dont think i can stay awake......thanks for your input

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter