Best Western Lake Buena Vista

katallo

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have info on the Best Western as far as Drury taking over management? Just wondering if there have been any updates lately?

I don't think any of the "regulars" on this board have heard any recent news. I think most of us assumed that a renovation would occur prior to the official change in brands. As of now, there hasn't been any official announcement of a renovation at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista.

Although I'm not sure I'll get much information, I just went to the Drury website and sent an email asking the status of the project. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. If I get a response, I'll be sure to let you know here.

Thanks so much. I did a quick search but only see the purchase article. We
are thinking of a stay but would like to avoid renovations if possible.

I was pleasantly shocked that Drury responded to my email only 8 hours after I sent it. (It took Alaska Airlines 5 weeks to answer a question their agents on the phone couldn't answer.) Anyway, here's the response.

"Thank you for contacting Drury Hotels. We do have plans to convert the Best Western hotel into a Drury but right now we wouldn’t have any estimated dates for that conversion. If I can be of anymore assistance please let me know."

I really wasn't expecting any real details. But, I think it's helpful knowing that the project is still happening, at some point.

I definitively didn't see this one coming. In addition to renovating the current hotel, Drury Hotels is planning on building a second tower on the site of the Best Western Lake Buena Vista.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/permit-fi...t-western-lake-buena-vista-resort-renovation/

Phase 1 will be the construction of the new tower and a new pool deck. Phase 2 would be a renovation of the existing tower and construction of new meeting space.

Note: This information was posted over in the News Round Up 2018 thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/news-round-up-2018.3654979/page-653#post-59607038

I definitively didn't see this one coming. In addition to renovating the current hotel, Drury Hotels is planning on building a second tower on the site of the Best Western Lake Buena Vista.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/permit-fi...t-western-lake-buena-vista-resort-renovation/

Phase 1 will be the construction of the new tower and a new pool deck. Phase 2 would be a renovation of the existing tower and construction of new meeting space.

Note: This information was posted over in the News Round Up 2018 thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/news-round-up-2018.3654979/page-653#post-59607038

You and me both. Disney, I mean Reedy Creek had to approve that. Very interesting.

I always thought there was space for more rooms along Hotel Plaza Blvd but Disney controls that competition.

Explains the delay.

I haven’t been watching permits lately, maybe I should, change may be happening.

PS: I just looked at permits, this is called the BLACK LAKE PROJECT. Makes sense as that is the lake behind it. But something to listen for if anyone hears that project name.

Last edited:

If I were going to pick one of the hotels to expand, it wouldn't have been the Best Western. I would have guessed the Hilton Lake Buena Vista. They have that massive parking lot. They could put up a 3-4 story parking garage along Interstate 4 and use the current parking lot for a second tower. It probably would be easier because it's already paved, so there'd theoretically be less to deal with in terms of environmental impact. It could be more rooms for that hotel or even a new one.

But, you're correct that Disney might not want that to happen. If this Drury project moves forward, I'm sure Disney will be taking a cut of the profits. If it's a quality product, Drury will still be able to make a ton of money even if Disney gets their share.

If I were going to pick one of the hotels to expand, it wouldn't have been the Best Western. I would have guessed the Hilton Lake Buena Vista. They have that massive parking lot. They could put up a 3-4 story parking garage along Interstate 4 and use the current parking lot for a second tower. It probably would be easier because it's already paved, so there'd theoretically be less to deal with in terms of environmental impact. It could be more rooms for that hotel or even a new one.

But, you're correct that Disney might not want that to happen. If this Drury project moves forward, I'm sure Disney will be taking a cut of the profits. If it's a quality product, Drury will still be able to make a ton of money even if Disney gets their share.

SOMETHING has to happen to that Hilton. I know we've talked that one until we are blue in the face but HOW is it still un-renovated, still a regular Hilton (I've stayed in nicer Hamptons)???? But you are right the location and a renovation/expansion could be a real PLUS at that location. The deck along the highway with an extended wing in front along Hotel Plaza Blvd .... but the whole thing would need a reno; might be more than owner wants to spend.

Last edited:
Sounds as if there will be major construction for quite awhile. We were thinking of January. Their site shows a resort fee but no parking. It does state they have the right to charge for parking. I guess there are things up in the air.

Sounds as if there will be major construction for quite awhile. We were thinking of January. Their site shows a resort fee but no parking. It does state they have the right to charge for parking. I guess there are things up in the air.

Right now it is a water management permit which means they have ground work to settle first ... the construction permits with county follow so it might be you will have minimal interruption in January.

I would be surprised if they increased their fees during a construction time, particularly since it's a hotel that hasn't had room renovations in a long time. I think their goal is keep the hotel full as possible.

Thanks for this info. We're staying there in early Feb. 2019. We've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the rooms, but we are not too particular as long as it's clean and comfortable with good hot water. :) Wish they would fix up the rooms a bit before we get there, but the price is right.

I think they have an $8/day parking charge - thought I saw that on the website somewhere

Parking is $8/day self-parking, yes. And now WDW is also charging you to park; $22/day. So if you bring a car and drive it to the parks every day, you'll pay a grand total parking fee of $30/per day.
We see no reason to rent a car while we're there. DS Hotel buses to the parks, and if we're in a hurry, maybe a Lyft for about $10-12? On our one day to Universal, we'll just Lyft there and back to DS.

Well, right now, I'm NOT recommending this hotel. I've been trying to link my reservation to My Disney Experience for two weeks. Nothing. The hotel can't do anything, and despite Disney's best efforts so far, nothing. I'm due to make my first FP+ tomorrow morning. They said if I still have trouble, to call Disney again. Annoying. Don't know what's going on. Naturally, my first day is Animal Kingdom with one of the hardest FP's at Pandora. Humph.

update: Well... Disney confirmed that the problem seems to be on their end. And in the process, they helped set up FP+ for my dates. I had to do it over the phone and couldn't make any changes online, only through the phone. Not awful, but not the promised experience. When the 30 day mark happened, I was looking at My Disney Experience and it looked like they were giving me extra FP+'s! I tentatively added one and it was confirmed! I called them to make sure nothing was going to go wrong and they said, yes, they were giving me extra ones! Plenty of them, too. I suppose this is why people still like Disney after all this time. I've been taken care of. And oh yes, I take it back about the hotel. BUT I haven't stayed there yet, so...

Thanks for letting us know the source of the problem.

You are very welcome. I understand that things go wrong sometimes. (Though my hotel room still isn't officially linked on the app.) But they have tried to help me out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!