"Better" route from Washington DC to Springfield, MA?

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
We are looking at doing a driving trip for our 25th this spring (MI to DC to MA to Niagara Falls to home), and the only part of it that is making us nervous is the above leg, due to all the large cities/traffic/etc. Is it best to just tough it out? Or is there some longer but less congested option? Mapquest thinks we'll be fine, but DH isn't so sure ;).

I've driven in Newark, so know a little of what to expect, but I don't know if that makes it better or worse ;).

TIA!

Terri

If you have an EZ-Pass or can get one, it's well worth it. Lots of tolls in NJ, plus the bridges around NY.

Google Maps works well. At least on the iPhone, it tells you which lane to use, and is usually right. The NJT is no fun, but manageable. Try to time things to avoid rush hour around NYC. To be honest, we rely on memory triggers, co-pilot, and iPhone to handle the GWB/Bronx/Westchester area, so I couldn't give details on specific routes or lanes in that area - except that the last time, we did not use the express lane leading up to the GWB, managed to use the lower level, and between co-piloting and Google, went through very smoothly.

Past NY, I prefer the Merritt and Wilbur Cross to I95/I91. They can have traffic, but no trucks. However, if the idea of driving on a 1950s era parkway, where the on ramps are maybe three car lengths, terrifies you, stick with the interstates.

North of Hartford is Rein's Deli, last chance for good New York style Jewish Deli before Boston.

Last I checked, the Tappan Zee was still under construction, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it, although Google is currently showing that as an alternative. We have done 87 (Thruway) north to 84 and then east through Danbury till 91, but we've given up on that - it much longer, even though it's mostly easier driving.

It doesn't really matter which direction you approach DC from, it's going to be like a ribbon parking lot no matter what. However, leaving you take the bypass (495 West) and there you can hit Route 270 to 15 headed toward Harrisburg, Pa. At Harrisburg you can get on Rte 81 to 88 in N.Y. which will lead you directly to I-90E. That will take you into central MA and Boston. You didn't specify what part of MA you were headed for. Anyway, you would have to look this up on whatever map or routing service you might favor. It seem complicated, but, it isn't really. It will avoid all the big cities in Maryland, N.J. and N.Y. and although there are some tolls involved, no where near as many as the direct route of I-95. It is a little further in mileage, but, when you factor in the traffic and tolls, it is actually a time saver.

From MA to Niagara Falls you just go back on I-90 heading west and you will pretty much run into it, it's nearly a straight shot.

Thank you both, SO much!

GaryDIS, our problem is that I tend to do the driving, and DH isn't fond of navigation, so I can picture him directing me who knows where! I have a Garmin and a smartphone, so I'm sure I could do it with them and just put him on mute ;).

Goofy, it might be worth the extra mileage to do the central part of the states, just to avoid the cities, we'll see. Mileage doesn't scare me, driving in NJ after watching someone literally avoid a light by going down into and then up out of a ditch to cross to the next street...now THAT was exciting!

Terri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter