Bibbidi bibbidi itch factor

arlsdimples

Mouseketeer
I have the bibbidi bobbidi boutique booked for our upcoming trip for my youngest. My daughters are 5, 8 and 22 so I have had numerous experiences over the years with Disney World costumes. What I didn’t experience before is a child who absolutely can not stand itchy dresses and will not keep it on or even get it completely on. Her sisters just dealt with it. My oldest told me that it drove her crazy but she ignored it because she wanted to wear the princess dresses/costumes.
I know we can bring our own dress and I have nonitchy options. But she has her heart completely set on the idea of picking a dress there. Her name is Belle so there’s an excellent chance that would be her choice. (Currently do not have a fancy non itchy Belle dress just all cotton can wear every day kind)
So.....
My question is do any of the current options not have the annoying stiff tulle or other rough itchy fabrics?
I’m guessing possibly the signature dresses which are jaw dropping. (Both in appearance and price) But I believe I read that there is another option in between the “regular” park costumes and signature. Or I just made that up in my head.

If this is not possible any suggestions on fancy non itchy Belle costume?

When are you going? If the weather is going to be cool, your daughter could wear a long sleeve tee or a nude long-sleeve leotard underneath. We were there in early December last year and it was a little chilly so I made my daughter wear a tee and keep her jeans on underneath her dress. It eliminated the itchy factor entirely! For us it was randomly lucky that she picked Rapunzel and happened to be wearing a light pink shirt that matched the dress well. But we also saw plenty of girls that day wearing princess dresses with non-matching t-shirts underneath.

When are you going? If the weather is going to be cool, your daughter could wear a long sleeve tee or a nude long-sleeve leotard underneath. We were there in early December last year and it was a little chilly so I made my daughter wear a tee and keep her jeans on underneath her dress. It eliminated the itchy factor entirely! For us it was randomly lucky that she picked Rapunzel and happened to be wearing a light pink shirt that matched the dress well. But we also saw plenty of girls that day wearing princess dresses with non-matching t-shirts underneath.
We’re going the third week of October. It could be warm or cool. Temperatures seem to bug her less than itchy fabrics. This may be a good option to at least try.

I think I’ll take something along to try. Though the costume choice and weather may play a factor as to what will work.
An under-dress shift made of cotton should do the trick. You can find them at better bridal shops or just whip one up on a sewing machine.

My DD 8 also has sensitive skin also. And also won’t layer. It’s so frustrating some times. But I try my best to breath and be be patient. For sure I’d bring an acceptable back up dress in my bag.

I’d expect the cast members to be really good with this, I’d let them know she is ‘sensory sensitive’ about clothes. And forewarn them she will need to try it on before committing.

If my daughter is excited she’ll say it’s fine, then the minute I’ve paid it’s suddenly unwearable because of the tiniest bit of trim (deluxe Anna dress - looking at you).

I now get her to try everything in, go in with her and before she puts it on and again while wearing it ask in a calm voice “take a minute, is it itchy anywhere?” I remind her once I pay she has to wear it so ask she breathes and considers. This has cut down on unacceptable purchases, but also resulted in walking away from some lovely things. I’d also be prepared that I may not buy any dress, just a hair do at BBB.

As a backup plan - I believe one of the packages is like a t-shirt and tutu (not a fancy dress, but if you don't bring one and none end up working - that might be a middle ground).

Honestly, in this situation I might just put my foot down and buy one of the reasonably priced online non-itchy options and sell it to her as somehow better (unique, fancy, whatever will work).

My DD8 wears a tank top and leggings. While you can see the tank it looks fine and keeps the itch away.

We have a BBB appt in Nov. I am planning to have my daughter wear a shirt and leggings underneath for this reason. Also if she decides she’s had enough of the dress it will be easy to take off. As others said you could also go with one of the more cotton style dresses that would be more comfy. I am bringing a dress to my appt because my daughter will get sensory overload with all the options and not able to decide. We told her she can get a princess dress at the park but we are going into the appt already knowing which dress she is wearing. Good luck!

Totally can relate. My daughter was 4 and insisted on the princess aurora dress. 10 minutes after buying she was going crazy about the itch factor. Never wore it again. :headache:
She ended up getting princess Anna as a second dress (Daddy took pity on her) and it was much better.

Youre asking about the deluxe option. From what I've seen, the deluxe option they only have one princess in (I remember Arials wedding dress and Repunzels dress). These dresses are a lot more comfortable, they are lined in a satin and they have beautiful details. I found the deluxe versions at disneystore.com and in the disney stores, they are typically around $80-$100 at the store but are probably more expensive at the boutique. I just bought my daughter the deluxe Repunzel. Currently there are 2 versions of Jasimine as well as Repunzel and Belle. Belle is yellow and the skirt has gold foil details and ruffles at the center. You may be able to find one or all of them at the boutique or you may only find the signature and regular dresses.

Try to have a backup plan. With my daughter we'll bring a spaghetti strap leotard which will hopefully be hidden by whatever straps the dress she chooses, if she chooses a deluxe (provided they have that in stock or at all) then the leotard isnt required. We will also have a change of clothes for her. I'm torn on buying her shoes, she loves the special princess shoes she got last time (we brought her dress but wanted to get her something that her FGMIT picked special for her.) but they are an extra $25. If she gets princess shoes we'll also have a pair of walking shoes for her. Nothing is worse than a cranky, uncomfortable 5 year old. She loved the experience our last trip and I'm excited for her to do it again(hopefully she'll be less shy this time).

Are the dresses at BBB the same ones in the Disney store? If yes....yikes. The itch factor I saw recently in a store was intense (as a note - I am SUPER sensitive to fabrics so this might just be me being me). I would seriously try to get her to select a gown ahead of time and pick accessories and other special items there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter