Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

we just looked around in the Animation Gallery.

Which is an admirable use of time in and of itself!

Anyone here actually ever been to a drive-in?

Actually, yes! We'd go a lot as kids, saw UP at one not too terribly long ago and we still have one in a small town about 25 minutes away from Salem that we go to about once a summer.

I liked this particular clip, with a smoking, newspaper-reading ventriloquist dummy driving a car. Back in the 50’s it took so many items to distract a driver. Now, we can accomplish it with just one. You’ve come a long way baby!

:rotfl2:

she said she couldn’t have the onion rings

As am I! :confused3

After eating here once before, and through advice on the DIS, we’ve learned to stick with the burgers at this restaurant. If you stray off the burger-path, you do so at your own risk.

Of this I can attest. I had the chili and it was awful. blech.

IMG_9098_zpsvcpczpyh.jpg

I think my favorite of the bunch. You have a beautiful family, Glenn. :goodvibes

Judy thinks it's strange that we (might) be going for a big celebratory trip for our 29th anniversary, but she'll take it.

I would not turn down Hawaii for any anniversary.

I remember the important stuff. :rolleyes:

::yes::

That's great to hear. Thanks for your review. Sounds like Judy'll be able to ride it, so that's good.

Happy to help. I think she should give it a try. We all really loved it.

Will do. I actually thought of you when I was there, but it was only for one evening and I was with a couple of people from work. We were in Mobile but went to New Orleans to catch a flight out the next morning.

Next time! We use New Orleans for our flights too.

We went into the Animators Courtyard hoping to catch a Baymax meet-n-greet in the Animation Gallery building. We went in and saw that there was a 45 minute wait, at least, and decided that was just too long, especially with our ADR coming up. Instead, we just looked around in the Animation Gallery.

Baymax was very popular while he was there. I waited about 30 minutes in 2015. Seeing all the art was good alternate way to spend your extra time.

auren’s favorite Disney movie is “Tangled”, so I’m sure she liked this Rapunzel painting. She’ll just have to save her pennies.

This is a favorite for Danielle too.

Beautiful picture! Does anyone else see a scary face in the gray buildings all the way to the left?

I liked this Donald Duck frozen in carbonite statuette. This may be the only way to cool that fiery temper of his. Can you imagine it though? Just as he’s about to be frozen, Daisy says to him, “I love you”. And he responds in his squeaky, hard-to-understand voice, “I know”.

Just perfect!

Then, after killing a little time looking around the Animation Gallery, we went over to Sci-Fi. This was our second visit to this restaurant, as we’ve alternated between it and 50’s Prime Time over the last several trips.

We've only been once, back in 2002. I would really like to give it another try but so far no one else will agree.

Like these advertisements for the Refreshment Center of the old-time drive-in theater.

These remind me of the drive-in scene from "Grease".

Anyone here actually ever been to a drive-in?

Never, we had one here when I was growing up but parents never took us.

After eating here once before, and through advice on the DIS, we’ve learned to stick with the burgers at this restaurant. If you stray off the burger-path, you do so at your own risk.

Need to remember this if we ever go again. We didn't really like our entrees here. The drinks and deserts were good. And we enjoyed the atmosphere.

The secretary in this cartoon reminded me of Carol Burnett’s “Mrs. Wiggins”. Or, “Mrs. A-Whiggins” as Tim Conway used to say.

Yep I can see that too.

I asked our waitress to take our picture and she graciously gave us the “from-all-angles” treatment!

She did really good. So many of our photos taken by waiters or waitresses don't look this good or have so many.

All in all, this was a great visit.

Glad to hear it.

Remember, you're in Disney World. Keep your legs inside the car at all times.

I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to these replies. Looking back at when you posted these comments, it's a little embarrassing that I'm sooo tardy. :blush:

Hi again! I think I've enjoyed reading all your trip reports, I just don't comment too much anymore. But your reference to Kresge's made me smile so it brought me out of lurkdom :wave2:

Thinking of an old Kresge store, and particularly the lunch counter, is a great memory. I'm glad it brought you out of lurkdom!

Oh, and thank you to you and Judy for the nod to Sci-Fi. That's the one I was leaning to. And I will definitely stick with the burger!!

No problem. ;)

Which is an admirable use of time in and of itself!

That's my kind of shopping -- looking around and not spending anything! Not everyone does it that way. :rolleyes:

Actually, yes! We'd go a lot as kids, saw UP at one not too terribly long ago and we still have one in a small town about 25 minutes away from Salem that we go to about once a summer.

That's great! Enjoy them often, or they'll go out of business. We pass one that's still open when we drive across Pennsylvania, but it's too far for us to go for a showing.

Of this I can attest. I had the chili and it was awful. blech.

That's kind of strange. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard for them to make a decent chili. I mean, there are guys who don't cook anything other than burgers on the grill who will still enter a chili cookoff. Theirs must be from a can or something?

I think my favorite of the bunch. You have a beautiful family, Glenn. :goodvibes

Aw, thanks Steppe!

I would not turn down Hawaii for any anniversary.

I've got a feeling you're in the majority on that.

Happy to help. I think she should give it a try. We all really loved it.

I'm looking forward to it!

Next time! We use New Orleans for our flights too.

One of these days.

Baymax was very popular while he was there. I waited about 30 minutes in 2015. Seeing all the art was good alternate way to spend your extra time.

Some characters are very popular, but others you can just jump into a short (or non-existent) line. Baymax was popular for this trip!

This is a favorite for Danielle too.

It's a good one.

Beautiful picture! Does anyone else see a scary face in the gray buildings all the way to the left?

Yes, I see it.

We've only been once, back in 2002. I would really like to give it another try but so far no one else will agree.

You're going to have to drag them in there sometime.

These remind me of the drive-in scene from "Grease".

I can see that.

Never, we had one here when I was growing up but parents never took us.

They probably thought there were too many steamed-up windows there for your young eyes!

Need to remember this if we ever go again. We didn't really like our entrees here. The drinks and deserts were good. And we enjoyed the atmosphere.

It's good advice.

She did really good. So many of our photos taken by waiters or waitresses don't look this good or have so many.

Yes, they usually take just one, two at the most. And never from a different angle!

I was thinking the same thing.

:ssst: (The cars don't really move.) :rotfl:

That's my kind of shopping -- looking around and not spending anything! Not everyone does it that way. :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm well aware of this. Far too many spend WAY out of their means and then are sorry when they lose their home, cars, credit, and all. Sad.

That's great! Enjoy them often, or they'll go out of business. We pass one that's still open when we drive across Pennsylvania, but it's too far for us to go for a showing.

We make it about once a year, but then again, we only hit about 4 movies (max) a year.

That's kind of strange. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard for them to make a decent chili. I mean, there are guys who don't cook anything other than burgers on the grill who will still enter a chili cookoff. Theirs must be from a can or something?

Maybe? I do recall it was quite spicy and pretty greasy.

We make it about once a year, but then again, we only hit about 4 movies (max) a year.

I think that's about 4 times as many as we see (in theaters anyway). I'm pretty sure the last two movies I've seen were "Rogue One" and "The Force Awakens". Oh, and we saw "The Secret Life of Pets" because someone was visiting us and wanted to see it.

Maybe? I do recall it was quite spicy and pretty greasy.

:crazy2:

Hats Off to Sully

What’s the perfect attraction to visit after lunch at Sci-Fi Dine in? Star Tours, of course. Because, you know, sci-fi and all. So that’s where we went next.

Since I was wearing my Admiral Ackbar shirt, I had to get a picture of the Mon Calamari guys in the control tower. I know it sounds like French for, “my appetizer” but “Mon Calamari” is the name of Admiral Ackbar’s species.

IMG_9102_zpsy4qdhn0h.jpg

If you like droids, this queue is for you.

IMG_9103_zpsflt3rvfm.jpg

IMG_9104_zps95kc23or.jpg

IMG_9105_zpsoda29p8f.jpg

IMG_9106_zps0isqmah1.jpg

IMG_9107_zpsbx0cxbui.jpg

We got seated on the ride and apparently the guy who came through to check our seatbelts said, “It’s a trap!” to me (because of my Ackbar shirt), but I didn’t understand him and thought he was saying something to James. James told me what he’d said after he left, so I must’ve looked like some clueless old geezer who the kids stuck in a cool shirt and took to the park that day.

While waiting for the ride to begin, I stared forward, making my patented “dumb face” hoping that it would get me picked as the Rebel Spy. (If you need a refresher as to what it looks like, it’s midway through this chapter of our previous trip.) But alas, I obviously looked too dumb to survive very long as a spy and so wasn’t chosen. We got the pod race scene and the asteroid field with Boba Fett, which I think were new for us though, so that was good.

I kinda liked this shirt I spied in the gift shop.

IMG_9108_zpsjrcaknk5.jpg

According to my photos, I guess we looked in a store next. But perhaps this is The Writer’s Stop? Anyone know? I think it may be...I think we just went in to look around because we’d never been in there before.

IMG_9109_zpscvdc2mxs.jpg

Some “Streets of America” action.

IMG_9110_zpse8cjyh2l.jpg

IMG_9111_zpslf7bsqab.jpg

We walked by the Monsters Inc. meet-and-greet area and saw that the line was non-existent, so decided to stop for a quick photo or two. Well, most of us anyway. James didn’t want to go. I guess he must be getting too old for character meets. No amount of coaxing could get him to go with us, but we didn’t let that deter the rest of us. And he missed out on some fun – we had great interaction with Mike and Sully!

I never know how to hug these shorter characters...it always looks like the most awkward thing ever. And Lauren is completely enveloped in Sully-fur. I hope he’s hypoallergenic, she’s got allergies!

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7365954245_zpsmqxx5aq6.jpeg

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7365952942_zpsxbdecruk.jpeg

Seems like Marlene is greeting an old friend.

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7365954246_zpshvqsraax.jpeg

Judy greeting Sully.

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7416108464_zpsrbkt5gfg.jpeg

After their hug, Sully started motioning to Judy that he liked her hat and wanted her to put it on him.

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7406051197_zps6rttdhow.jpeg

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7406074309_zpsrze4vpth.jpeg

I have no idea what Sully is trying to communicate to me.

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7365954251_zpsq7kbecay.jpeg

And right after this next picture was taken, everybody said, “Ooo, ya left Sully hangin’”. And I can’t argue with the photographic evidence.

STUDIO_MONSTERS_7406059283_zpszwyjiolv.jpeg

Whoops. Sorry, Sully. But if you talk to that attendant back at Star Tours, he can tell you that I’m just a clueless old geezer, so don’t let it bother you.

And a group shot taken with my camera.

IMG_9114_zpsa5adctmp.jpg

We had so much fun with Mike and Sully, especially when Sully wore Judy’s hat. Such great interaction -- this was an unexpected treat!

From there we continued on to Toy Story Midway Mania for our next fastpass. Just as we got in line, a Green Army Man walked by and I asked him if we could take a selfie together. He obliged and we took this picture.

IMG_0136_zpsmz9dqlmy.jpg

And then he took my phone from me and proceeded to tap the screen about 20 times. I thought for sure he had filled my camera roll with Little Green Army Faces, but the one I took was the only one I had. It was hilarious. Other people in line got a kick out of it also.

Meanwhile, further into the queue, the kids, ready to start TSMM.

IMG_9116_zps0eweqdgi.jpg

I predict that Judy will finally get that coveted “Best In Vehicle” achievement!

IMG_9117_zpskzdafpmx.jpg

I was paired-up with James and he smoked me with his score of 177,800 to my 146,200. But you know, it’s all about accuracy. :rolleyes:

IMG_9122_zpsojst15hs.jpg

As we swung by the tote-board James saw that his score was a “Best This Hour”, but I couldn’t get a picture since our car was moving so fast. We got out and I switched to my telephoto lens to get this shot through the unloading area. The vehicle score was someone else’s; James’ was the “Best This Hour” of 177,800 below it.

IMG_9126_zpsdrj2gvit.jpg

He hasn’t met a videogame yet, that he didn’t like.

Up next: DHS afternoon

Last edited:

Oh wow! Judy looks like one of the kids in the car pics! Of course they all have convertables, it is the cool car.

We did have a drive in when I was a little girl. Saw Cinderella and Snow White there. I am ancient. :rotfl2:
as a teen we had one in that town also. Had the same snack bar ads you shared here. :cool1:

It was fun to move back home when the kids were little and bring them to the same drive in. Sadly it closed down about a year later. :sad2:

Really enjoy your TR's! Too bad your DS missed out on the Mike and Sulley fun. Looked like a great interaction. I would also have to give the nod to Sci Fi maybe because it's such a unique dining experience? Although for our upcoming Dec. trip I went with Prime Time - it's been a while since we've gone there. Why did I just see your June updates - surprised I missed them until now!

Glad to see you are still alive and kickin'. Thanks for the update. Great to get a little Disney review as we are getting ready for our annual Food & Wine pilgrimage.

We have met loads of characters over the years, but never Mike and Sully. Looked like fun interaction.

Hope all else is well and looking forward to the next update.

I know it sounds like French for, “my appetizer” but “Mon Calamari” is the name of Admiral Ackbar’s species.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

We got seated on the ride and apparently the guy who came through to check our seatbelts said, “It’s a trap!” to me (because of my Ackbar shirt), but I didn’t understand him and thought he was saying something to James. James told me what he’d said after he left, so I must’ve looked like some clueless old geezer who the kids stuck in a cool shirt and took to the park that day.
:sad2: Lame...

How old is this TR again? :rolleyes1

Judy greeting Sully.
That hat just looks like it was made to match him. No wonder he wanted to try it on!

I was paired-up with James and he smoked me with his score of 177,800 to my 146,200. But you know, it’s all about accuracy. :rolleyes:
Yeah... right. :rolleyes1

As we swung by the tote-board James saw that his score was a “Best This Hour”, but I couldn’t get a picture since our car was moving so fast.
Awesome! I'd be pretty proud of getting "Best this Hour" too!

What’s the perfect attraction to visit after lunch at Sci-Fi Dine in? Star Tours, of course. Because, you know, sci-fi and all. So that’s where we went next.

It's as good an excuse as any.

Since I was wearing my Admiral Ackbar shirt, I had to get a picture of the Mon Calamari guys in the control tower. I know it sounds like French for, “my appetizer” but “Mon Calamari” is the name of Admiral Ackbar’s species

Wow. I thought I liked Star Wars, but that's an incredibly deep dive.

So it was a normal day, then?

But alas, I obviously looked too dumb to survive very long as a spy and so wasn’t chosen.

But you've survived this long as a husband and father. That's not the easiest job.

I never know how to hug these shorter characters...it always looks like the most awkward thing ever.

Looks like that second cousin at the family reunion who is really happy to see you but you can't quite remember his name.

I have no idea what Sully is trying to communicate to me.

I think he wants money. Hope you tipped him well.

And right after this next picture was taken, everybody said, “Ooo, ya left Sully hangin’”.

D'oh. Smooth. Real smooth.

And then he took my phone from me and proceeded to tap the screen about 20 times. I thought for sure he had filled my camera roll with Little Green Army Faces, but the one I took was the only one I had. It was hilarious. Other people in line got a kick out of it also.

:rotfl2:

Uh...yeah...

The vehicle score was someone else’s; James’ was the “Best This Hour” of 177,800 below it.

Nice work, James! Some day your kids will beat you, too!

Since I was wearing my Admiral Ackbar shirt, I had to get a picture of the Mon Calamari guys in the control tower. I know it sounds like French for, “my appetizer” but “Mon Calamari” is the name of Admiral Ackbar’s species.

I did not know this. It's amazing what you can learn on trip reports.

I kinda liked this shirt I spied in the gift shop.

I like this too.

According to my photos, I guess we looked in a store next. But perhaps this is The Writer’s Stop? Anyone know? I think it may be...I think we just went in to look around because we’d never been in there before.

I think this is the Writer's Shop, something that is gone now. Loved the carrot cake cookies. You can still get them at the treat shop inside the Villain's store but somehow it's just not the same.

Something else that is gone now too.

After their hug, Sully started motioning to Judy that he liked her hat and wanted her to put it on him.

I love this whole series of photos. Judy's hat really does match Sully.

And right after this next picture was taken, everybody said, “Ooo, ya left Sully hangin’”. And I can’t argue with the photographic evidence.

Glenn you need to get with it. Poor Sully.

And a group shot taken with my camera.

Great photo! James really did miss out.

I predict that Judy will finally get that coveted “Best In Vehicle” achievement!

This is a great photo of Judy. She looks like she's having a fabulous time.

The vehicle score was someone else’s; James’ was the “Best This Hour” of 177,800 below it.

Way to go James!

Oh wow! Judy looks like one of the kids in the car pics! Of course they all have convertables, it is the cool car.

Oh, wow, she'll appreciate hearing that! :laughing:

We did have a drive in when I was a little girl. Saw Cinderella and Snow White there. I am ancient. :rotfl2:
as a teen we had one in that town also. Had the same snack bar ads you shared here. :cool1:

It was fun to move back home when the kids were little and bring them to the same drive in. Sadly it closed down about a year later. :sad2:

That's cool that some of your first Disney movies were seen at a drive-in! That is sad that it closed down.

Really enjoy your TR's! Too bad your DS missed out on the Mike and Sulley fun. Looked like a great interaction.

Thanks rdkeim! I enjoy that you read them!! Yes, our meet with Mike and Sully was an unexpected treat.

I would also have to give the nod to Sci Fi maybe because it's such a unique dining experience? Although for our upcoming Dec. trip I went with Prime Time - it's been a while since we've gone there.

That's okay, it's good to mix it up sometimes. I've always enjoyed our meals at 50's Prime Time.

Why did I just see your June updates - surprised I missed them until now!

I know why...it's because I'm updating so infrequently and so slowly that if you don't catch it soon after I post, the thread drifts into the doldrums.

Glad to see you are still alive and kickin'. Thanks for the update. Great to get a little Disney review as we are getting ready for our annual Food & Wine pilgrimage.

Things are a little crazy, but yes, alive and kickin'! Enjoy F&W!

We have met loads of characters over the years, but never Mike and Sully. Looked like fun interaction.

It was fun, I'm glad we stopped.

Hope all else is well and looking forward to the next update.

Thanks! One of these days. (I will finish this TR!)

Last edited:

I'm glad somebody liked that joke! Thank you!

Yeah, it was. But it wasn't intentional!

How old is this TR again? :rolleyes1

Not as old as me, but just about!

That hat just looks like it was made to match him. No wonder he wanted to try it on!

Yep, it was his color all right.

Yeah... right. :rolleyes1

I had to look at the accuracy scores before I wrote that! :rotfl:

Awesome! I'd be pretty proud of getting "Best this Hour" too!

Yeah, me too! He was pretty insistent that I get a picture of the board.

It's as good an excuse as any.

That's what I was going for. One as good as any possible other.

Wow. I thought I liked Star Wars, but that's an incredibly deep dive.

Was that a fish joke...deep dive?

So it was a normal day, then?

Yes, the orderlies even ushered me to my room after dinner.

But you've survived this long as a husband and father. That's not the easiest job.

As you well know.

Looks like that second cousin at the family reunion who is really happy to see you but you can't quite remember his name.

You've obviously met some of my relatives.

I think he wants money. Hope you tipped him well.

Had I met him in Times Square, I would've had to.

D'oh. Smooth. Real smooth.

:cool2:

Uh...yeah...

You think I'm grasping at straws? :confused3

Nice work, James! Some day your kids will beat you, too!

He thinks my reflexes were always this slow. He'll find out!

I did not know this. It's amazing what you can learn on trip reports.

You know it! ;) This chapter, informative -- check...next chapter I'll shoot for entertaining! Ah, who am I kidding, it'll be the same old stuff. :laughing:

I like this too.

He's making the stormtroopers look kind of Keystone Cop-ish.

I think this is the Writer's Shop, something that is gone now. Loved the carrot cake cookies. You can still get them at the treat shop inside the Villain's store but somehow it's just not the same.

I did not know that, about the carrot cake cookies. Good to know where to find them. The comments on trip reports are informative too!

Something else that is gone now too.

Yes, yes, this trip report is old. :rotfl2:

I love this whole series of photos. Judy's hat really does match Sully.

It was amazing how quickly he went for it!

Glenn you need to get with it. Poor Sully.

:rotfl2::rotfl: You're really lettin' me have it Vanessa! :laughing:

Great photo! James really did miss out.

He did.

This is a great photo of Judy. She looks like she's having a fabulous time.

We all of so much fun at Disney!

Way to go James!

:banana:

You know it! ;) This chapter, informative -- check...next chapter I'll shoot for entertaining! Ah, who am I kidding, it'll be the same old stuff. :laughing:

Now you're being too hard on yourself. I will be expecting entertaining next.

I did not know that, about the carrot cake cookies. Good to know where to find them. The comments on trip reports are informative too!

They were there in May and better when we go back for Mardi Gras.

Yes, yes, this trip report is old. :rotfl2:

And so is mine. Join the crowd.

:rotfl2::rotfl: You're really lettin' me have it Vanessa! :laughing:

I would hate to disappoint you.

We all of so much fun at Disney!

That's what Disney is for. It's not the real world.

I have been away for SO long. Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of dissing? But, I just caught up! Love everything, as usual. Tell Judy I love her hat! It's so cool! And the Sully interaction with it was great.

I read so much, I can't remember everything, but I know it was all great! I'll try to be more regular around here. I haven't updated my TR in almost a year!

Trying to catch up.... not an easy task these days.

BUT, you did have some fun happenings after your lunch. The photos with Sully in Judy's hat are priceless! (STILL have hat envy right there.)

I can never remember what scenes I get in Star Tours. I"m too busy trying not to hurl.

That's how Disney re-programs your phone to automatically give you subliminal messages to spend 3 times what you normally would.

I hadn't seen your Mike and Sully pics when I commented. So fun! Great character interactions. The hat looks good on Sully :rotfl2:
Your time with the army guy was fun, too. I love how they just act like they
have no personality, and then they see someone or meet someone and the fun comes out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!