Big crowds, No CM's, POFQ.

Santa

DIS Veteran
Just back form PO-R 11/10-17. Riverside packed beyond belief. Roofing work still going on for building 36, 37 & 38. We were in 37. On 11/11 we were left a notice about our quite pool closing from 11/12 - 19 no reason given. At MGM they had CM's taking a random servey about their own satisfaction with WDW as a whole. 2 people in my group were chosen and were told by the CM that they kept hearing the same complaints. We were told by several CM's that the reason for the cutbacks were due to the lack of employee's. 4 different CM's told us that they have zero hours on the schedual and that most CM's are on an on call basis. Who in their right mind would except a job knowing you cannot get a minimum number of hours a week. You are told we will call you if we need you. They have had alot of people quit.

I spoke at length to a transportation CM supervisor about POFQ and Pop Century.
WDW is in negotiations with the government to lease POFQ because the military wants to double the size of SOG and they will need somewhere to put the people form SOG while construction is going on.

Pop Century is going to open but a final date has not been set. The amount of workforce working on Pop Century has been reduce signifacantly and may take another year to finnish but the official word given to this CM supervisor was "Pop Century will open upon completion".

So if what you heard about French Quarter is correct, the government lease is a temporary thing while Shades of Green in enlarged, then FQ will revert back to a "civilian" resort, correct?

Joe

I had a feeling that the closing of POFQ had something to do with expanding SOG. Glad it is only to be temporary! We have never stayed there, but I had hoped to talk my DH into it at some point. I know that POFQ was up for renovations, anyway!

As for CMs who have jobs at Disney with no guaranteed hours... this is probably their 2nd job and they do it for the benefits as opposed to the money... but those who did rely on it, did leave, as was stated previously. If things keep picking up, those still there will definitely see their share of hours, and they will have to take off he hiring freeze.

did the CM's indicaate when PO would be used for a replacement for SoG. We are going in May.

Originally posted by Santa
Pop Century is going to open but a final date has not been set. The amount of workforce working on Pop Century has been reduce signifacantly and may take another year to finnish but the official word given to this CM supervisor was "Pop Century will open upon completion".

The newest Disney Magazine has an opening of March or May, can't remember for the Pop Century Resort

After the Disney Magazine went to press, WDW made the decision to put Pop Century's opening on hold indefinitely.

The POFQ situation is exactly what a CM at POFQ told my DH on Nov1 when he was checking out. She felt it would be turned into a SOG as well. She had been there many years and said it was following the same sceniaro as the pre-SOG resort. She thought POR would be the next to close.

We were at Riverside the same week and in the same part of the resort. Yes, the place was packed, big crowds at the parks all days and yes I would agree, just about every problem we had could be traced back to not enough staff on duty to handle the crowd.

We were told the same thing about the job situation. Those in transportation and housekeeping are promised hours, but park employees and food service are not. I agree, I would not take a job not knowing if I could get enough work to keep food on the table.

Originally posted by TinkerbellRules
The POFQ situation is exactly what a CM at POFQ told my DH on Nov1 when he was checking out. She felt it would be turned into a SOG as well. She had been there many years and said it was following the same sceniaro as the pre-SOG resort. She thought POR would be the next to close.

What is the SOG resort? I have no idea and couldn't resist asking. Thanks :-)

Just putting what I know in. A CM from PO/Riverside posted on the resorts board on aol that they were "locking the doors" Dec 9th. And that he and many others would be out of jobs. There was no mention of it being temp a SOG while SOG is enlarged. I surely don't know all the details but I do know who this CM is as my friend knows him from a previous visit. (And was looking forward to seeing him again when they went down next month.) So I do know that at least that much is true. SAD.. so very SAD.. this was my fav place of all the moderates. I just have to queston what Disney is doing... hard times, could be, but it just seems like a vicious circle... hard times, taking away perks, people not wanting to go or stay on property because of it etc.. then hard times again.

Nancy

SoG is Shades of Green. It is a Military owned resort that is the former Disney Inn(prior to that call the Golf Inn) and was a Delux Disney Resort. It is across the road form the Poly and sits surrounded by 3 of the Disney Glf courses

I had forgotten that that even existed ~ WOW. So by Military owned resort, Military people live there or just stay? Sorry to sound so confused. And now they may be doing with with POQ? I would say surely times aren't that bad, but when we left Disney this year I couldn't get over the sheer numbers and sizes of the hotels surrounding the Disney property. I hate seeing it so overdeveloped outside because it adds to too many crowds. I, like some others have said, wish Disney would have started on another park rather than add more hotel rooms. If they can do a California Adventure and a Disney Seas surely they can bring some other concept to Orlando.

Shades of Green is an Armed Forces Recreation Center. There is also one in Hawaii, Japan, and Germany. They are for military active and retirees and DOD personnel. From what I understand, they are not government funded but are funded through the money brought in by the people who stay there. I might not be 100% accurate, but I thought that's what I read somewhere. The rates are determined by your rank or grade and are available on first come, first serve basis. You can also get your park tickets (if your miliatry or DOD) at a discount rate. You need to show ID to get into the grounds to purchase tickets or merchandise, if you're not staying there. We've stayed there a couple of times and the one in Germany once. They're nice places and reasonable, if you're just starting out in the military.

Just a footnote...
Shades of Green is not owned by the military. It is owned by Disney and leased to the govt. for (I believe) 99 years.

there was a 99 yr lease but it was sold out right a couple of yrs ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter