Big Thunder ride twice and Fast Pass.

kylieh

DIS Veteran
DD16 (in wheelchair, can transfer ok) and I were reading the pinned post and have a question about Big Thunder and if this is still the case..

Big Thunder Mountain ... Guest needs to ride twice in a row to return back to the same side as they boarded on, where their mobility device will be waiting

If so, does the CM let you know to stay onboard, does it apply to the person riding with them, etc.

Given she’ll have the wheelchair and using the alternate entrance, is this still worth getting a FP for or just getting the return time and just grabbing a drink and resting whilst waiting?

Last edited:
This depends on the type of mobility device used. If the CM can move it like an ECV that can be put in free wheel they will push it if it is an electric wheelchair that can not ( I know some can ) then they tend to let the person ride twice or if you have a return time and a FP for the same time you can ask to ride twice. And yes they let the person with ride too

On the FP question there is not much close by to do the person in the wheelchair must be there for the return time ( so they know you need one). One thing you can do while you wait is watch the parade you might not get front row but you can watch while you wait if you time it right. But it can be hard to get a spot you can see really good.

On the FP question there is not much close by to do the person in the wheelchair must be there for the return time ( so they know you need one). One thing you can do while you wait is watch the parade you might not get front row but you can watch while you wait if you time it right. But it can be hard to get a spot you can see really good.
Thank you - we weren't sure if they'd treat it like a DAS, so knowing that we'll get the FP with our normal plans.

Thank you - we weren't sure if they'd treat it like a DAS, so knowing that we'll get the FP with our normal plans.
Yes you will get a return time but I would just FP it as there is not much to do around there.

Only a few attractions have separate wheelchair access because their regular and Fastpass lines are not accessible for guests using mobility devices.
The MK attractions are Big Thunder Mountain RR, Jungle Cruise and Small World. For those, guests using mobility devices or who are not able to use the regular line get a Return Time. It’s totally separate from DAS (Disability Access Service); guests with mobility devices/visible needs don’t need DAS to get a return time .

If you don’t have Fastpasses, the time to return will be based on the current wait time and will expire in about 1 hour from the time you can return.
If you have Fastpasses, you will still be given a return time, but it will be ‘now’ and you can go right in.

Having a Fastpass is helpful for attractions with long standby waits or where there is not much to do in the area while you wait.

The first couple of times I rode Big Thunder we always came back out at the side my ECV was parked, so we must have gone round twice without me knowing. The first time we didn't and I came out I was very disorientated as I didn't realise we'd come out the other side, and i had to walk all the way round and half up the hill to the entrance to pick up my ECV. Since then we've never come back out the same side as we went in. So ... clearly a few years ago they would go round twice bypassing the loading/unloading room completely.

I have never been invited to ride again to come back out the same side I went in.

The first couple of times I rode Big Thunder we always came back out at the side my ECV was parked, so we must have gone round twice without me knowing. The first time we didn't and I came out I was very disorientated as I didn't realise we'd come out the other side, and i had to walk all the way round and half up the hill to the entrance to pick up my ECV. Since then we've never come back out the same side as we went in. So ... clearly a few years ago they would go round twice bypassing the loading/unloading room completely.

I have never been invited to ride again to come back out the same side I went in.
It also depends on how many trains they have running with some number rains you get back the same side you left from. That sad they did not move your ECV over normily they do

You would only have gone around twice if an odd number of trains are running.

You would only have gone around twice if an odd number of trains are running.
Actually, it's an even number. I specifically asked a couple of weeks ago when we were there, and he said that when they run 4 trains they go round twice. Most of the time now they run 5 trains.

It also depends on how many trains they have running with some number rains you get back the same side you left from. That sad they did not move your ECV over normily they do

They wheel it down towards the actual path exit so you don't have to walk all the way back up again, but it's still a much longer walk round and down - and I'm really not good with slopes.

We're local and go quite a bit. We have either a DAS, wheelchair, or FP+ return time. Each time they move my rollator walker to the opposite side for when I exit EXCEPT for this past January we had a DAS and FP+ at overlapping times. I let them know they'd see us again real soon as we had both passes and were going to get right back in line after we got off. They scanned our bands twice for both return times, we stayed on the ride twice without getting off, and they didn't have to move my walker.

I'm not sure if that was just some pixie dust or how it always works since we usually don't have overlapping times.

We're local and go quite a bit. We have either a DAS, wheelchair, or FP+ return time. Each time they move my rollator walker to the opposite side for when I exit EXCEPT for this past January we had a DAS and FP+ at overlapping times. I let them know they'd see us again real soon as we had both passes and were going to get right back in line after we got off. They scanned our bands twice for both return times, we stayed on the ride twice without getting off, and they didn't have to move my walker.

I'm not sure if that was just some pixie dust or how it always works since we usually don't have overlapping times.
If you had overlapping times, it would make more sense from an operational standpoint to do that than to make you get off, just to come right back in line again and have them walk you back down a second time. This solution prevented them from having to move your Walker and saved time for them with a minimal impact to anyone that might have been waiting behind you. So I would imagine that this is how this would normally work under such circumstances.

I have to use the wheelchair entrince when I ride and often have a FP and DAS for this ride ( mainly since it is so fair out of the way ) and have always had to get off and get back in line. I do not mind at all so I would not exspect this to happen every tine

Last time used the handicap entrance using an ECV . The ride ended on the other side. Had to go down ramp and back up to retrieve ECV. Those that less mobile might no be able to travel that distance. If asked would CM let you second time in order to exit on the other side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!