Bike riding at the Fort

Roobear77

Mouseketeer
A couple of questions about bringing along the bikes. I know there are places to lock up bikes if we ride to the boat, but what do you do with your helmets? Don't really want to cart them around MK all day. Would you leave them and hope no one takes them? Or stick them in a locker at MK?

My other question is about general biking safety. Haven't been to the Fort since 2007, before we had kids. I can't remember if there are bike trails that are separate from the roads if we are headed to the pool for example? Are there lots of kids that bike around the loops for fun? We are in a tent site with our pop up if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

We just hang our helmets from our handlebars or clip them around the top tubes and have never had a problem.

Bikes generally share the footpath, so off the road but you need to yield to pedestrians :)

I have always taken my road bike. I used to do long distance races and have a fairly expensive bike ($3000ish). There are plenty of places to lock it up. I've always left my helmet and gloves on the drops. I have never left it for a full day anywhere though. I have gone out to visit different resorts on my bike. (I wouldn't advocate riding on the main WDW roads unless it is VERY early or you are VERY comfortable riding in traffic.) I have left helmet, gloves, HR monitor and shoes on my bike while I visited the Poly, WL and GF without any incident. Most issues I've heard of with bikes being taken have been an opportunity thing. Probably kids thinking it's funny. If you make it hard for them to take, they move on. I wouldn't think a helmet was a priority to someone interested in stealing a bike, but puting it in a locker at MK would be safest.

As Kristin said, there are paved pedestrian/bike paths throughout the Fort. We have seen kids riding in the loops. For the most part, loops are fairly safe with limited traffic. When DS was little, I would let him ride around the loop, but not out to the main roads.

j

Where do you park bikes at WL? Thanks!

There are bike racks at the Outpost near the bust stop, near the marina area, near the restaurants, near the trading post, near the Meadows pool area...pretty much anywhere you'd want to park at around the Fort.

I read on another thread that the walking/biking exercise trail that used to go from the Fort to the Wilderness Lodge is now closed? If so, is there an alternative way to ride safely to the Lodge? Safe for me is a well-separated sidewalk or bike path, not comfortable riding directly alongside traffic with only a painted bike lane. If there is a way, what is the approximate mileage?

I read on another thread that the walking/biking exercise trail that used to go from the Fort to the Wilderness Lodge is now closed? If so, is there an alternative way to ride safely to the Lodge? Safe for me is a well-separated sidewalk or bike path, not comfortable riding directly alongside traffic with only a painted bike lane. If there is a way, what is the approximate mileage?

The unpaved trail is closed, and probably what you're recalling, but the big paved trail that parallels the road between the Fort and the Lodge is open (at least it was last month). And mileage...if I recall correctly, it is about 1.5 miles each way, give or take depending on where your site is. :)

The unpaved trail is closed, and probably what you're recalling, but the big paved trail that parallels the road between the Fort and the Lodge is open (at least it was last month). And mileage...if I recall correctly, it is about 1.5 miles each way, give or take depending on where your site is. :)

Oh okay, thank you! Glad there is still a good way to get over to the Lodge. I think the trail I remember was unpaved.... Staying at the Fort in December for the first time in almost 20 years, so I'm sure quite a lot has changed!

If you are planning on riding after dark, please make sure you have a light. We were amazed how many people were riding around after dark with no lights on their bicycles making it very difficult for pedestrians and drivers to see them. Thanks!!!

Thanks Teamubr ... I didn't think adults were required to wear a helmet and I couldn't find anything on the Disneyworld site that required it either.

Oh okay, thank you! Glad there is still a good way to get over to the Lodge. I think the trail I remember was unpaved.... Staying at the Fort in December for the first time in almost 20 years, so I'm sure quite a lot has changed!
Yeah, that unpaved path that skirts the lake is only partially open now. We picked it up at the end of the sidewalk at the new WL cabins, but then eventually met a "no guests" sign...that we *forgot* to look at, but then we hit a maintenance shed with activity at it, so we circled back.

Not according to FL law. Under 16 is required though. I can't find anything on the WDW site about adults. I won't preach that you should anyway since it took 2 concussions before I had enough sense knocked into me. Won't leave home without it now.

Yep, I have a dear friend who wouldn't be with us if she hadn't been wearing a helmet. As it is, she still has some chronic effects from a bad TBI. I wear one always.

Great, thanks for all the info everyone. I wasn't going to make a loop request, but specifically from a "young kids riding around the loop" point of view, is there a tent/pop-up loop you think would be better?

from a "young kids riding around the loop" point of view, is there a tent/pop-up loop you think would be better?
My observation (never stayed in a tent or Full site) is those sites tend to have more "bike ride" age kids. The Fulls (1600-1900) feel more open and have always had more kids out and about when I ride through. As long as the kids stayed inside the loop, I think all the Tent/popup or Full loops are about the same. I was in 1400 (Premium) one trip. It is 2 circles, one inside the other. We were on the inner loop which was like a NASCAR track with the bicycles all week.

j

1) There are a lot of people wearing helmets at The Fort.
2) Both kids (required by law) and adults.
3) When they park their bikes, they just run a chain through the helmet strap. *
4) Really works well.
5) For those questioning, I have NEVER fielded a complain about a stolen helmet.
6) Sure, doesn't mean it won't happen, I just haven't heard of such.

* NOTE:
Some helmet have a strap with a ear-piece hole.
Others people just use a small chain through a vent-hole in th ehelmet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter