Bippity Boppity Boutique Changes

They use hairspray or a spray gel. I'm not sure what it was but it didn't hold. The buns are mostly bobby pins and the hairnet holding it together.
ETA: whatever they sprayed in my DD hair they sprayed only once at the end. So there was very, very little product used. They also gave me shampoo to wash out the spray. Pretty sure the spray washed out on SM.
Boo

We did this with our DD, now 7, when she was 5. Her younger twin sisters want to do it during our trip in January. No way are we paying for the package with the dress, but even the lowest package times three is a total rip-off if it takes 20 minutes and the hair lasts less than a day.

My girls never ask to wear their dresses in the parks. If we skip this, I don't have to lug three dresses down to FL.

Not providing a lot of incentives, WDW!

We were there today. We go once per year. There were 4 hairstyles to choose from. The bun, the diva bun with the fake hair extensions and two various braid hairstyleswith colored hair extensions woven in. My daughter chose the braids with the colored hair extensions. It looked beautiful. Her "goodie bag" included the makeup, nail polish, small shampoo and facial towelette to remove makeup. We were satisfied with the whole experience and were not rushed at all.

They use hairspray or a spray gel. I'm not sure what it was but it didn't hold. The buns are mostly bobby pins and the hairnet holding it together.
ETA: whatever they sprayed in my DD hair they sprayed only once at the end. So there was very, very little product used. They also gave me shampoo to wash out the spray. Pretty sure the spray washed out on SM.

Boo is right! That gel the used in the past was the bomb! It held and held and held, till you were done with it holding quite honestly. Never had any issues with removing it either, it removed totally, easily, with whatever shampoo we had or even what was in the room. But, if you didn't wash it out, it stayed. So it was perfect. Best of both worlds. I don't get why they couldn't leave it.

Maybe it's for the employees that work there. Sure, 30 minutes of exposure to aerosol hair spray isn't a big deal for the average customer, but maybe 8-10hrs for each shift adds up. They can't have them wear masks like at the nail salon.
They didn't use spray products in the past so it can't be that, it was a gel that was used.

Last edited:
My daughter had spray in June. Not aerosol, but a quick spritz of something.
What I was saying is that was a change from the past. Before they went to this less product version there were no sprays used, so the idea a PP had that they made the change to make it safer for the employees was not a reason for the change for certain, since they went from not using a spray to using a spray.

What I was saying is that was a change from the past. Before they went to this less product version there were no sprays used, so the idea a PP had that they made the change to make it safer for the employees was not a reason for the change for certain, since they went from not using a spray to using a spray.
Sorry! That's what I get for eating dinner while I scroll. I miss that gel so much.

LOL. This is precisely why we have never done BBB with my daughter. The hair styles are sooooooo ridiculous for a child, bordering on street-waker chic. Nothing says "princess" about the work they do there.

I am going to agree and disagree with this. On my visit, and online in general, I've seen cute and also distressing. Definitely questioned some of the looks, but as another poster mentioned- it's dress up, and the only one making those calls are the child and the parent. I was never a "princess" kind of kid, so it's hard for me to speak to that. My idea of dress up was putting on the most ragged clothes I could find and say I was Aladdin or a gypsy.

At any rate, I think the more "tacky" looks (not meaning to offend anyone, and tried to protect the privacy of the girls used below by covering their noses) involve fake hair, tons of fake glitter, and overdone makeup. Like, I questioned whether an 80's workout model was the fashion inspiration for some of those looks. It could be that's what the family wants, who are we to judge. It can be hard to believe that, but I see a lot of hard to believe things. ;)

Capture.JPG

I imagine what makes/made that experience special was the time spent on the child, and getting attention in a way they may not usually. Being able to emulate or even create their own idea of what royalty looks like. Knowing Disney, I also fear they had a limited pallet to work with, but that's another topic entirely. It's a great service if done well- when I did youth services there were a few girls that begged me to do their nails with nail art when I did the teens. I could tell it meant the world to them, and really that's all that matters.

I am astounded that people got these looks to last multiple days. My mom couldn't get a braid to last two hours on me. :rotfl2:

HA! Those pictures are exactly what I was talking about! I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but those hairstyles look awful.

At any rate, I think the more "tacky" looks (not meaning to offend anyone, and tried to protect the privacy of the girls used below by covering their noses) involve fake hair, tons of fake glitter, and overdone makeup. Like, I questioned whether an 80's workout model was the fashion inspiration for some of those looks. It could be that's what the family wants, who are we to judge. It can be hard to believe that, but I see a lot of hard to believe things. ;)

View attachment 249454

HA! Those pictures are exactly what I was talking about! I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but those hairstyles look awful.
I guess. They aren't something I'd want to wear but 7 yo DGD loved hers. She's done the bun twice and she's done both versions in the top right photo but she did the fall with pink hair, so I guess that may make it even worse than matching color hair. The bun is my favorite. But not the new bun style, I like the old ballerina bun style.

The way to get them to last days is to take the hairpiece portion out at night. You can then put it back in or not, your choice.

As for overdone make up. Where? You can barely see color on their faces. So I can't fathom who can call that overdone make up but whatever. Clearly, some just don't like BBB. That's fine. Don't go. Seems easy enough. No?

Last edited:
I guess. They aren't something I'd want to wear but 7 yo DGD loved hers. She's done the bun twice and she's done both versions in the top right photo but she did the fall with pink hair, so I guess that may make it even worse than matching color hair. The bun is my favorite. But not the new bun style, I like the old ballerina bun style.

The way to get them to last days is to take the hairpiece portion out at night. You can then put it back in or not, your choice.

As for overdone make up. Where? You can barely see color on their faces. So I can't fathom who can call that overdone make up but whatever. Clearly, some just don't like BBB. That's fine. Don't go. Seems easy enough. No?

Hey, I didn't say that. Can you please fix your quote?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

For a grown woman? Sure, those hairstyles are not the most fashionable. But for a 5 year old girl? The glitter, the wild hair colors, the sparkles? Pure magic! The styles aren't meant for a beauty pageant or a high fashion magazine look, they are meant to make a girl feel like royalty

The overdone makeup is my opinion. Seeing young girls in lots of eye shadow and rouge bothers me personally- and I fully realize that "a lot" is subjective. However, if you read all of what I said, you will see that I said

It could be that's what the family wants, who are we to judge.

I truly feel that way. Do what makes your kid happy. I get it, I really do. I just sometimes wonder if those are the looks the children would select given the choice. As mentioned above, I've seen some beautiful outcomes and some that make me question whether that was what was intended.

ETA: Here's picture of hairstyles that would take roughly the same amount of time, and could have fun colors or accessories added.
Capture.JPG

I seriously support the kids having fun, just wish they had more options. Having never been there, but only seen the outcome, I wonder if girls with short hair are encouraged to wear extensions? My mind always goes to the small things adding up to perceptions of expectations down the road. Totally get that a lot of people are super comfortable within those boundaries, and that I am overthinking something meant to be quick and easy fun/profit off kids and their families.

Last edited:
The overdone makeup is my opinion. Seeing young girls in lots of eye shadow and rouge bothers me personally- and I fully realize that "a lot" is subjective. However, if you read all of what I said, you will see that I said

I truly feel that way. Do what makes your kid happy. I get it, I really do. I just sometimes wonder if those are the looks the children would select given the choice. As mentioned above, I've seen some beautiful outcomes and some that make me question whether that was what was intended.

ETA: Here's picture of hairstyles that would take roughly the same amount of time, and could have fun colors or accessories added.
View attachment 249502

I seriously support the kids having fun, just wish they had more options. Having never been there, but only seen the outcome, I wonder if girls with short hair are encouraged to wear extensions? My mind always goes to the small things adding up to perceptions of expectations down the road. Totally get that a lot of people are super comfortable within those boundaries, and that I am overthinking something meant to be quick and easy fun/profit off kids and their families.

I have seen videos of girls with shorter hair getting the princess bun. They designed the styles to work with many different lengths/textures of hair. They can't have a ton of options or the stylists would get overwhlemed trying to perfect each one.

I do think too much is being made of how the kids looks at the end. This is their chance to get made into a princess by their very own magical fairy godmothers. They can worry about living up to your standards of beauty later, right now they are lost in the magic of the experience.

ETA: I am not a fan of many of the styles you posted. I would rather have the BBB styles than giant mid-head poufs or messy side ponies.

Last edited:
I have seen videos of girls with shorter hair getting the princess bun. They designed the styles to work with many different lengths/textures of hair. They can't have a ton of options or the stylists would get overwhlemed trying to perfect each one.

I do think too much is being made of how the kids looks at the end. This is their chance to get made into a princess by their very own magical fairy godmothers. They can worry about living up to your standards of beauty later, right now they are lost in the magic of the experience.

ETA: I am not a fan of many of the styles you posted. I would rather have the BBB styles than giant mid-head poufs or messy side ponies.

I apologize if my message was not clear. It is precisely the standards of beauty and living up to them that I am concerned about. I dislike the idea of a princess having to look a certain way, or a girl being stuck within a certain range for "beauty". To be clear you are conferring with someone who has never had their hair "done" in a salon, never had a manicure, has had a shaved head, and also just about every hair color imaginable. Believe me, I am not one to judge on looks as I have been judged many times before- especially when I had facial piercings. The idea of what Disney markets as what "makes" a girl look like a "princess" fascinates me.

Again, I know I am overthinking something fairly simple, and maybe even preaching to the wrong choir. I imagine a lot of Disney fans are into the "princess culture" and I never have been. I apologize if I offended you- I noticed the little girls done up on my visit, and I'm interested in the culture behind it. It is my understanding that parents invest a great deal of money into these visits, and my initial post was to interact with someone who said they would not take their child there because they did not like the look.

Last edited:
I apologize if my message was not clear. It is precisely the standards of beauty and living up to them that I am concerned about. I dislike the idea of a princess having to look a certain way, or a girl being stuck within a certain range for "beauty". To be clear you are conferring with someone who has never had their hair "done" in a in a salon, never had a manicure, has had a shaved head, and also just about every hair color imaginable. Believe me, I am not one to judge on looks as I have been judged many times before- especially when I had facial piercings. The idea of what Disney markets as what "makes" a girl look like a "princess" fascinates me.

Again, I know I am overthinking something fairly simple, and maybe even preaching to the wrong choir. I imagine a lot of Disney fans are into the "princess culture" and I never have been. I apologize if I offended you- I noticed the little girls done up on my visit, and I'm interested in the culture behind it. It is my understanding that parents investigate deal of money into these visits, and my initial post was to interact with someone who said they would not take their child there because they did not like the look.

But are you not projecting your own ideas of what is and isn't pretty on young girls? With your dislike of the makeup and the hair extensions and the colors? Your beauty standards may differ from the mainstream, but you are projecting them nontheless. And that's my point. These little girls who go to BBB feel like Princesses after. Most of them have asked for this, dreamed of this, and have seen photos/videos and already know what hairstyle they want before ever stepping foot in a BBB. I think girls that feel more confident in different styles than are offered would probably tell their parents they don't want BBB. There are other ways to feel magical in Disney world, BBB is catering to the princess set.

But are you not projecting your own ideas of what is and isn't pretty on young girls? With your dislike of the makeup and the hair extensions and the colors? Your beauty standards may differ from the mainstream, but you are projecting them nontheless. And that's my point. These little girls who go to BBB feel like Princesses after. Most of them have asked for this, dreamed of this, and have seen photos/videos and already know what hairstyle they want before ever stepping foot in a BBB. I think girls that feel more confident in different styles than are offered would probably tell their parents they don't want BBB. There are other ways to feel magical in Disney world, BBB is catering to the princess set.

Again, if that is how I came across I apologize. Those images were not my ideal of beauty, and the other photos where to be clear on what the other poster was talking about. I am using text-to-speech in my car, because I am so motivated to ensure that I did not upset you. I cannot read or quote my earlier post now, but I'm fairly certain that I worded it in a way so as to not disrespect the families that chose those options. If you would like to continue this discussion offline feel free to message me.

I saw this as an opportunity to confer with parents on their opinions, and did not take into account that I would upset you or AngieTN in the process.

Again, if that is how I came across I apologize. Those images were not my ideal of beauty, and the other photos where to be clear on what the other poster was talking about. I am using text-to-speech in my car, because I am so motivated to ensure that I did not upset you. I cannot read or quote my earlier post now, but I'm fairly certain that I worded it in a way so as to not disrespect the families that chose those options. If you would like to continue this discussion offline feel free to message me.

I saw this as an opportunity to confer with parents on their opinions, and did not take into account that I would upset you or AngieTN in the process.

I don't think anyone's upset, just contributing viewpoints to a conversation.

View attachment 249502

They can't do styles like that at BBB. They use licensed hair braiders, not hair stylists.They are not licensed to do those sorts of styles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter