Blind at WDW

disneylady88

Earning My Ears
My parents will be joining my family and me to WDW in March. It's their first time back since '91 and I really want to make it special. My mom is legally blind and TBH I can tell she isnt exactly excited to go, but since shes a fantastic grandma shes taking one for the team, so to speak. Does anyone have experience with this or have any tips to make this a great trip for everyone?

I have had plenty of experiences.
Its all about the attitude.
If she chooses to not have fun because she cannot see something then there's not much you're gonna be able to do.
I suggest letting CM's at shows know that she is visually impaired and needs to sit close and they will direct you to the CM handling the front section and they will get you as close as possible.
I have found the best CM's at BATB.
Also be sure that someone is next to her to help her if she needs a hand to guide her through the parks, in winding queues, through crowds shuffling into the theaters, and getting into and out of ride vehicles.

I have no experience, but I recently discovered a woman named Joy Ross on Youtube, she has lost her sight due to an illness. She posts videos about her blindness, including going to Disney often and meeting characters,. Characters are really good at helping blind people 'seeing' their costumes etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr1lfkVoNlWsrOFcVbMitA/search?query=disney

I do not know if the following is available at WDW, but when I visited Tokyo I had to go by Guest Services at some point. Behind the CMs there were some shelves with small scale models of several ride vehicles, the CM explained blind people can feel the scale model to see what the vehicles look like. Also there are scale models of certain buildings like the castle.
MK-Models-1.jpg

TDS-Models-1.jpg

Last edited:
this is taken right from Disney website on guest with vision problems. Also t the MK there is an area for guest with Disability to be touring the parade it will allow her to be up close and have a little more room so that ( I am not sure if she has some vision) but it would give her a better chance of seeing the parade

Services for Guests with Visual Disabilities
Guests with visual disabilities can maximize their enjoyment of our parks with tools that include Audio Description, Braille maps and more.

Types of Services
Walt Disney World Resort offers a variety of services to help Guests with visual disabilities enjoy their stay. These services include:
  • Audio Description
  • Braille Guidebooks
  • Portable Tactile Map Booklets
  • Stationary Braille Maps
  • Information About Service Animals
For more information, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.
Audio Description
Walt Disney World Resort theme parks offer Audio Description through a Disney handheld device, which provides supplemental audio by describing visual elements such as actions, settings and scene changes. It works with existing show audio at specific theme parkattractions, entertainment and other popular locations.
Disney handheld devices are available from Guest Relations at all 4 theme parks on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a fully refundable $25 daily deposit for use.
Audio Description is available at the following locations:
At Magic Kingdom Park:
At Epcot:
At Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
At Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park:
Braille Guidebooks
Walt Disney World theme parks offer Braille Guidebooks printed in large text as well as Braille and feature descriptions of attractions, restaurants and stores.
Braille Guidebooks are available from Guest Relations at all 4 theme parks on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a fully refundable $25 daily deposit for use.
Portable Tactile Map Booklets
Walt Disney World theme parks offer Portable Tactile Map Booklets which feature a tactile representation of building boundaries, walkways and landmarks for each land/area of the theme parks.
Portable Tactile Map Booklets are available from Guest Relations at all 4 theme parks on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a fully refundable $25 daily deposit for use.
Stationary Braille Maps
Walt Disney World theme parks, Disney Springs and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex offer Stationary Braille Maps featuring large print with a clear Braille overlay and raised graphics to highlight key landmarks and attractions. There are also listings for First Aid, restrooms, Service Animal Relief Areas and Guest Relations/Guest Services.
Braille Maps can be found at or near Guest Relations/Guest Services locations. Ask a Cast Member for additional locations as each theme park or property typically has 2 maps.
Service Animals
View information related to services animals at Walt Disney World Resort.

Other Useful Things to Know
Prior to your visit, please review information pertaining to Guests with visual disabilities, which includes the additional services below.
Braille Menus
Select table-service restaurants offer menus in Braille—ask a Cast Member about availability.
Guests with Light Sensitivity
Should you or any member of your party have a photosensitivity or seizure disorder, we recommend consulting your physician for specific instructions before visiting Walt Disney World Resort. Specialty lighting and other visual effects are used extensively throughout our shows and attractions.

Thank you everyone! She is completely blind in one eye and is quickly losing sight in the other and has a lot of trouble going from outside to inside. My dad tries, but unfortunately he sometimes forgets and leaves her feeling lost and frustrated and I think this is why she isnt feeling positive about the trip. Thanks for the resources, our trip is in March so I have plenty of time.

Thank you everyone! She is completely blind in one eye and is quickly losing sight in the other and has a lot of trouble going from outside to inside. My dad tries, but unfortunately he sometimes forgets and leaves her feeling lost and frustrated and I think this is why she isnt feeling positive about the trip. Thanks for the resources, our trip is in March so I have plenty of time.

Your mother's vision sounds similar to the situation that I have experiences with at WDW.
You need to make sure that she is always accounted for.
If your dad can't do it then someone else needs to step in.
I can see how it would be extremely upsetting and frustrating if she is not getting the assistance she needs when walking into a dark queue etc.

Last edited:

I have no experience, but I recently discovered a woman named Joy Ross on Youtube, she has lost her sight due to an illness. She posts videos about her blindness, including going to Disney often and meeting characters,. Characters are really good at helping blind people 'seeing' their costumes etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr1lfkVoNlWsrOFcVbMitA/search?query=disney

I do not know if the following is available at WDW, but when I visited Tokyo I had to go by Guest Services at some point. Behind the CMs there were some shelves with small scale models of several ride vehicles, the CM explained blind people can feel the scale model to see what the vehicles look like. Also there are scale models of certain buildings like the castle.
MK-Models-1.jpg

TDS-Models-1.jpg

That’s really cool they have those models! Unfortunately I don’t believe WDW has anything like that.

My dad tries, but unfortunately he sometimes forgets and leaves her feeling lost and frustrated and I think this is why she isnt feeling positive about the trip.

How many adults or older kids in your party? Maybe you could take turns “being Grandma’s eyes” throughout the day. I bet even elementary school aged kids could be really awesome at this - practice having them describe what they see. And she would love the 1:1 with each kid “seeing” their perspective. Not necessarily in a show or ride, I was thinking around the parks and particularly through queues ( that outdoor-to-indoor issue).

Enjoy your vacation!

You’ve probably already done this, but the absolute best thing you could do is to make sure to ask her what she needs to help make this trip comfortable and fun for her. Then go from there and do some planning together.

I wish you all a fantastic vacation!

the long, dark winding queues can be so difficult for those with very low vision to navigate. even with my help, it was frustrating for my husband. Even with me directing: hard left, soft right, uturn, soft left, etc. etc. things jutting out for him to bump into. and the person behind him (it's just the 2 of us) on his heels being very impatient. for this reason we started using the DAS. it's not the wait "time" but the queue "distance" that is the problem. and for the shows, yes, they always let us go up in the front so he can at least see a little something. (yes, the FP line has the same, but the distance of the winding frustrating queue is much less.

the long, dark winding queues can be so difficult for those with very low vision to navigate. even with my help, it was frustrating for my husband. Even with me directing: hard left, soft right, uturn, soft left, etc. etc. things jutting out for him to bump into. and the person behind him (it's just the 2 of us) on his heels being very impatient. for this reason we started using the DAS. it's not the wait "time" but the queue "distance" that is the problem. and for the shows, yes, they always let us go up in the front so he can at least see a little something. (yes, the FP line has the same, but the distance of the winding frustrating queue is much less.

It has always been expressed to me that being visually impaired does not qualify for DAS because its a mobility issue that you can use a cane/sighted guide for.

It has always been expressed to me that being visually impaired does not qualify for DAS because its a mobility issue that you can use a cane/sighted guide for.
This is what my vision impaired friend was told too. She uses a wheelchair for some of the more windy lines she sits and the person pushing her tells her what is going on around her works out great for them

This is what my vision impaired friend was told too. She uses a wheelchair for some of the more windy lines she sits and the person pushing her tells her what is going on around her works out great for them

That can be frustrating when the visually impaired person is perfectly capable of walking/standing not to mention it puts a strain on the person pushing.

That can be frustrating when the visually impaired person is perfectly capable of walking/standing not to mention it puts a strain on the person pushing.
I am just saying what they do. What works for one might not work for another. I know they prefer to do it this way.

I'm just telling you what we do. a can does not solve the issue. there are numerous poles for numerous rails. does not tell you whether to turn left or right. a "sighted guide" does NOT solve the issue/ I AM the "sighted guide". we have done this. it takes a LONG time. "ok, we are going legft here. now a soft right. a soft left. oops.. look out, there are some bricks jutting out on your right ahead, don't bump into the. etc etc. just trying to help another nearly blind person out.. not going to debate this issue. It's a matter of safety. don'
t need someone bumping into things and someone behind them stepping on their heels and tripping them. I really don't believe someone losing their vision is trying to "cheat the system". it is NOt a "mobility issue, it's a vision issue. just trying to help someone out and explain what we do. we do what we need to do.

I can't believe that the DAS and the Fastpass lanes are actually helpful.....I've always found that the Fastpass lines move MUCH quicker than standby, thus people would be coming up behind you and get frustrated that you aren't moving quickly. The standby lines usually move very slowly, perfect for someone with diminished vision.

I can't believe that the DAS and the Fastpass lanes are actually helpful.....I've always found that the Fastpass lines move MUCH quicker than standby, thus people would be coming up behind you and get frustrated that you aren't moving quickly. The standby lines usually move very slowly, perfect for someone with diminished vision.
this has just been our experience doing it both ways. it gets very tiring for us both the longer the line distance is. if people get "really pushy" we let them pass. in standby, we would never get on the ride that way! lol plus less things for him to bump into and hurt himself. but whatever works for you! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!