Blt vs vwk for family of four

Gracie09

DIS Veteran
We are planning our trip for next year. I know it early to worry about this but I like to be mentally settled early. Our daughters will be 5 when we go. My parents own at akv and we will book there at 11 months but want to switch to a resort closer to mk so blt or vwl. We have enough points available to book a one bedroom theme park view at blt. Do you think we would be able to get that? I understand there is a lot to do for kids at vwl but I honestly don't love it from the pictures and the one bathroom may be an issue.

Thoughts???

There are more Lake Views and you will likely get that, for fewer points than Theme park view. When is your vacation, it could be a big factor in availability!

I would vote for BLT. The ability to walk to MK is priceless. Also the monorail makes for an easy access to the Polynesian or Grand Floridian if you have any meals there.

Sometime between end of September and beginning of November. We are pretty flexible.

It's going to be difficult to get theme park view at BLT at 7 months. You might be able to get a lake view. That time of year is popular with members (food & wine festival at Epcot, Halloween parties at MK).

Sometime between end of September and beginning of November. We are pretty flexible.

That can be tough to get at seven months out as that is prime time for DVC members. Your family needs to try to book that exactly at seven months out when booking opens for the day. If you have to cancel the AKV reservation to use the points for BLT, you'll need to get MS to do the booking and not online.

Being flexible during an extremely popular time is good, but decide as soon as possible. I think later September through the first week in October would be your best shot.

I know as far as BCV, even in the owners time, at around 9 months out a BCV studio was not available for Sunday October 6, so I adjusted my stay from 2-6 so I would at least have some BCV nights for my fall trip!

I'll just give you my perspective on the resorts themselves. I have 2 teenagers but we have been staying at both resorts for years.

First off VWL is our favorite resort all around. We love the theme and the boat to MK.

However, BLT is our second favorite! The ability to walk to/from the MK is AMAZING. I do love the setting on Bay Lake and the top floor viewing deck. Plus the 1br here has the second bath and that sounds like a plus for you.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice so it comes down to theming preference and amenities (and of course availability). BTW we have been very happy with the lake view category at BLT.

Have a great trip!

Thanks everyone. I think we will try blt. Prefer theme park but will take what we can get. We can always wait list if need be. We have had luck in the past (bcv at 7 months at the start of food and wine fest).

Now I just have to wait until it is time to book...

Thanks everyone. I think we will try blt. Prefer theme park but will take what we can get. We can always wait list if need be. We have had luck in the past (bcv at 7 months at the start of food and wine fest).

Now I just have to wait until it is time to book...

now love MK - and love BLT - but would reconsider - if you get a lower floor - 6th floor and up - you might get more of a parking lot view than MK view.

the worst are now standard - but anything below the 8th floor - would be a partial bad view because of the parking lot and monorail. Now if your child likes the monorail - well that is completely different.

5, 6 and 7 - have excellent views of the monorail.

I do enjoy the monorail - but others don't and they say it blocks views of the MK - everyone taste is different.

the lake views (even number rooms) - are all pretty nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter