boarding dogs at Disney's kennel

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
Just gathering up information for this fall when we come down! We will have a couple of our tiny dogs, who we can easily keep in our camper on the days we are at the parks. But I am thinking of bringing my German Shepherd girl with as well, and I wouldn't leave her all day (or even a couple hours) without me being there, because I'm not sure how she would act in the camper....

So I'm looking into the option of boarding her there for those days that we'll be in the parks for a longer time... The kennel there seems to be very well liked, so I'm not worried about that. But I'm looking for more details from people who have used them, such as.....

1. Is there ever a discount for multiple dogs in the same "room"? Just thinking then she would have a familiar "face" with her during the day, but not sure that's really necessary...

2. What shots are required, and what proof is needed of those shots? An additional question- if a dog is coming but not being boarded, what shots are required and what proof is needed? example: we typically don't do kennel cough vaccinations because our dogs never go anywhere, but I think it would be one we'd want if she was boarded- not sure if we'd want it just for the little Chihuahuas that will stay at the camper.

3. My Shepherd, Hope, is what I'd call overly attached to me. (which is why I'm thinking of bringing her now that we have our own camper- it would make us both happy, because I, in turn, am a little over attached to her) I'm not sure how she'll be at the kennel- she's not mean, but she also has never been left somewhere with strangers. Is there a good way to handle this? Really, what I want for her, is just her own little area during those day where she has room to move around, and not have to be kenneled in her crate while we are gone. I don't need her walked, unless she would enjoy it :)

I think that's all for now, other than does anyone have current prices? Thank you!!

Just gathering up information for this fall when we come down! We will have a couple of our tiny dogs, who we can easily keep in our camper on the days we are at the parks. But I am thinking of bringing my German Shepherd girl with as well, and I wouldn't leave her all day (or even a couple hours) without me being there, because I'm not sure how she would act in the camper....

So I'm looking into the option of boarding her there for those days that we'll be in the parks for a longer time... The kennel there seems to be very well liked, so I'm not worried about that. But I'm looking for more details from people who have used them, such as.....

1. Is there ever a discount for multiple dogs in the same "room"? Just thinking then she would have a familiar "face" with her during the day, but not sure that's really necessary...

2. What shots are required, and what proof is needed of those shots? An additional question- if a dog is coming but not being boarded, what shots are required and what proof is needed? example: we typically don't do kennel cough vaccinations because our dogs never go anywhere, but I think it would be one we'd want if she was boarded- not sure if we'd want it just for the little Chihuahuas that will stay at the camper.

3. My Shepherd, Hope, is what I'd call overly attached to me. (which is why I'm thinking of bringing her now that we have our own camper- it would make us both happy, because I, in turn, am a little over attached to her) I'm not sure how she'll be at the kennel- she's not mean, but she also has never been left somewhere with strangers. Is there a good way to handle this? Really, what I want for her, is just her own little area during those day where she has room to move around, and not have to be kenneled in her crate while we are gone. I don't need her walked, unless she would enjoy it :)

I think that's all for now, other than does anyone have current prices? Thank you!!

Here's some info for you concerning boarding: http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/waltdisneyworldresort/

We kept our dog at Best Friends last summer. It was a large, clean place with very nice staff. There are a ton of options on the website, which I found very confusing... A quick call, and the options were only a little confusing :) They have accommodations ranging from a small "cage" to a big room complete with TV and couch. We picked an indoor/outdoor kennel. Playtime is extra for boarders, so you would opt out by default. The info is all on the website, but it takes a while to sort it out.

Our Yellow Lab seemed to really enjoy it while he was there. Not at first (separation anxiety) but he got great treatment there. As I recall we did opt for the Playtime as well as a Bath.

Yes you will need kennel cough shoot. I would also make sure you have active flee and tick management program, they do test for fleas when you check in. If you think your dog may have seperations issues - ask vet for X# days of medicine. Test before you go.

50 lb plot hound/lab. we did playtime with in/out kennel on our park days. There hours a great and kennel is top notch.

We boarded our previous pup (lab/pitty rescue mix we lost couple of years ago) both with my mom's dog, who he loved, and by himself at the kennels and he did great. Because he had never been around many other animals, we did not do the play groups and requested that he be kept by himself, or with mom's dog, when he was walked or exercised and the staff was more than accommodating. I think there was a small discount for having the two dogs together when they were in the same kennel. He had one of the rooms where he had an inside section and an outside section so, while I do not think the outside access was 24/7, there were plenty of times he could go outside in his area to take care of business or just walk/lounge around. We found the staff to be really good when we were there and have contemplated using the kennel again for our two new pups when we come home next year and have long days planned. If you are concerned about your girl being in that situation, is there somewhere close to you where you can try it for a day to gauge her reaction but still be available if you need to go get her?

Have fun on your trip!

We boarded our dog in September and she seemed fine with it. She was a rescue dog so we don't like to board her unless absolutely necessary but they treated her great and she didn't seem to mind going at all. We wouldn't hesitate to use them again if we need to. If I remember right the prices they had online were for locals and there are different rates for people vacationing? My DH took care of booking so I might be remembering wrong. A quick call would definitely be worth it IMO. Enjoy your trip!

We did daycare with our (rescue) Dachsie who is extremely attached to my DH so we also worried about separation anxiety. He absolutely loved it there! He was happy to see us when we picked him up, but not that 'panicky' happy, and he was very happy to go back the rest of his days there.

You do need all the standard vaccs plus Bordetella (Kennel Cough). Bordetella must have been administered more than 2 weeks before boarding. They're good for 6 months. You will need a signed record from your Veterinarian with the names of the vaccs and the dates given. They're real strict about that, too.

The staff there is super nice. If you have any questions, give them a call. They can pre-register you, too.

Last edited:
We haven't boarder ours there yet. We did however stop in once without notice and found them to be great. They assigned us a lovely young lady who gave us a full tour of the place took plenty of time to explain everything to us and let us look in some of the empty rooms. The entire Facility was very clean and had no overpowering smell.
My wife says my wookieBear isn't my dog but my daughter and I am very selective about where i would let her stay and this place has my seal of approval

You do get a discount for a second dog, but with two dogs you can't do the indoor/outdoor option which is disappointing. Indoor/outdoors are smaller on the inside portion.

Not to open a big debate but FWIW, it may not be necessary to have a ton of vaccinations (current thought is that we are way over-vaccinating our pets). If you are willing to titer test for immunity, your vet can attest to the dog's immunity in a letter. But I would check with the kennel 1st to make sure they would accept that. I am not opposed to vaccinating when they need it, but research shows that administerting the same shots every year is overkill, and we are probably doing more harm than good. My dogs' bloodwoork indicated that their immunity was so high, my vet will not even repeat the bloodwork for three years.
It is great that you have considered the comfort of your pets while you are away in the parks. We left ours at home with a dog sitter until we were sure they could handle a reasonable amount of time in the RV and would be good camping neighbors. We have observed way too many dogs left behind for hours on end, and some barking and howling the entire time. Of course, the kennel would be a better option for those poor pups.
Enjoy your trip!

We overtreat humans as well. Antibiotics for colds, pain medications, etc.

My guess would be the kennel probably has set policy on wanting the records specifically, but as suggested you can call to verify. Fewer shots for pooch maybe.

As a hopeful Florida resident to be, I was thinking about bringing any dog(s) to be boarded if I plan a long park day. I couldn't find their current day rates on the website.

I just booked with them for daycare for the days we will be away from the camper, the rate was $34 per day for a large indoor kennel. I believe it includes 2 walks daily and I can add any playgroups when we get there, if I choose to do that.

We have reservations for mid September and received an email recently that they will begin requiring the Canine Influenza vacc as well for doggy daycare. This is not something we vaccinate for in Minnesota, so I had to make a special appointment so they can stay and take advantage of the play sessions. There is a three week waiting period between the shot and booster, so you'll need to plan ahead if you want to sign your dogs up for the group play sessions while at BF and your dogs aren't currently vaccinated for influenza.

We overtreat humans as well. Antibiotics for colds, pain medications, etc.

My guess would be the kennel probably has set policy on wanting the records specifically, but as suggested you can call to verify. Fewer shots for pooch maybe.
You are correct!

The CI vaccine was originally not on our radar but we saw this thread just prior to taking our youngest 2 for their 1yr check up and state mandated shots so we asked our vet about it. Her recommendation was that while not something being seen around here in De. she can't speak for other places we may go. Couple that with we try to take them ADVENTURING in CG's that have Dog Parks it is something we should very likely consider. So come Nov they get round one. Lucille my DW finding an article from a newspaper in Montana called the Missoulian that dogs in that state are contracting a respiatory disease that presents like CI but isn't and is highly contagious . While I don't like giving them meds I do consider an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure . Article was dated 11 Aug and updated 13 Aug

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter