Boardwalk Arrival Dinner

ecefaratti

Earning My Ears
We are staying at BWI the beginning of December. There are 5 adults and 3 kiddos (8, 6, 6). What restaurant would you recommend for our arrival night dinner? We've never been to the Boardwalk so we have no idea what restaurants are good. We would be willing to walk over to BC/YC for a restaurant. We will have the Dining Plan but don't want to use 2 Table Service credits that night because we are going to California Grill and need to save them for that. Thank you!

Last edited:
No shortage of options.... Ale and Compass and Tratorria Al Forno are probably the best 1-credit non-buffet restaurants on the Boardwalk. Cape May Cafe if you like buffets.
But if you have park tickets for that night, you can also take a short walk to Epcot and eat anywhere in the International Gateway.

We are staying at BWI the beginning of December. There are 5 adults and 3 kiddos (8, 6, 6). What restaurant would you recommend for our arrival night dinner? We've never been to the Boardwalk so we have no idea what restaurants are good. We would be willing to walk over to BC/YC for a restaurant. We will have the Dining Plan but don't want to use 2 Table Service credits that night because we are going to California Grill and need to save them for that. Thank you!

For me, it would depend on what time you are arriving at the resort and if you will have park tickets for that day. If you arriving on the later side and just want to relax at the resort, I would to to Trattoria al Forno. It's right on the Boardwalk, take 1 TS credit, and the food and service are good. You can then enjoy the entertainment on the Boardwalk that evening. If you are arriving on the early side and would like to go to EP, as PP's have noted, EP is within walking distance with a ton of restaurants to choose from - we particularly like Spice Road Table which isn't far from the EP IG entrance, but there is a wide variety of food in EP. There are also 2 character meals and the new Space 220 restaurant will be open by then. You have a ton of choices.

Thank you! We don't actually know what time we will be arriving yet. We aren't going until December (I'm a super planner...lol!), but I don't think we will have a park ticket for that day. We are coming from Connecticut so we will probably be arriving in the afternoon. We have never visited the Boardwalk area so I like the idea of just kind of exploring. I think we will go to Trattoria al Forno for the Character Breakfast one day so that would also be a good option for dinner.

We always stay at BW and our first meal is always Sunshine Seasons in Epcot. Yes it is quick service but since we never know exactly what time we will arrive, I would rather have a QS than a reservation we might not get to on time.

It depends on what type of food you want.
If you want to go onto EPCOT, a huge number of choices.
If you just want to stay on Boardwalk, then Tratorria Al Forno would be a good choice.
FLying Fish is very good, but that would be 2 credits.
Il Mulino in the Swan is very good, but not on DDP.

Thank you! We don't actually know what time we will be arriving yet. We aren't going until December (I'm a super planner...lol!), but I don't think we will have a park ticket for that day. We are coming from Connecticut so we will probably be arriving in the afternoon. We have never visited the Boardwalk area so I like the idea of just kind of exploring. I think we will go to Trattoria al Forno for the Character Breakfast one day so that would also be a good option for dinner.

I like your plan! The Boardwalk is a lot of fun and Trattoria is right in the middle of the action in the evenings. Have fun!

Has anyone been to Trattoria Al Forno lately? Last time we went (year ago) it sorely went downhill. It used to be a definite go to (it was my dd's favorite) but we could tell they were cutting corners with costs. All of our meals had issues. :(

OP, if Trattoria has gone back on track I would definitely recommend that. Since you only want to use 1TS, then Flying Fish is out. Another option not mentioned was Beaches and Cream for a casual dinner.

Flying Fish is great !!! or walk over to the Yacht Club and go to Yachtsmen Steakhouse ...that used to be our first night meal every year

Beaches and Cream at Beach Club is another option if you are looking for something more casual!

Psst, if you go to any Swan & Dolphin Signature, they offer 'free' childcare at Camp Dolphin.
[some restrictions apply]
https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/campdolphin.html
Fun with kids - ESPN Zone. Food is better than folks would think. Beer is colder than people think too.:drinking1

Of course Beaches & Cream.

If you cannot obtain a reservation at Beaches, then also inside Dolphin - Fountain Ice Cream (which serves food too).

1 table service credit on the dining plan in the Boardwalk area and not going to Epcot leaves you with six options--ESPN Club, Big River Grille, Ale & Compass, Cape May, Trattoria, and Beaches & Cream. ESPN Club is fine but I wouldn't choose it for an arrival night dinner. Haven't been to Trattoria or Big River Grille. We didn't like Cape May and won't return, but I think that's a minority opinion. Between Ale & Compass and Beaches & Cream, I think Ale & Compass has the better food but Beaches & Cream is more fun for kids, so that would probably be my choice. And if you need to pay out of pocket one night, that's a good place to do so.

Flying Fish super expensive and I would guess a 2 credit dining plan. We like Tratoria for breakfast, but not the chracter one. They can seat you in a small room off the main room. no characters, much cheaper and very good food. Not had dinner there. Don't know if it takes dining plan but right next to it is ESPN Club, sports bar restaurant - good food. You can get sandwiches and pastry at the Boardwalk bakery. On the boardwalk you will find pizza, hot dogs, corn dogs, hamburgers. Across the water, you can walk or take the boat, you might enjoy Al and Compass at the Yacht Club. Beach Club has a character meal at the clambake. Beaches and Cream a fun place especially for the kids. It is between the Beach and Yacht Club. At the Beach Club you can visit their food area, in one of the gift shops for sandwixhes, flatbreads, soups, some hot meals. This is served fast food style. If you passes include this first day go into Epcot and eat at any of the fast foods areas in the different countries. Right in the gate at England is fast food fish and chips. You picke a resort that has many options. Be aware that for Beaches and Cream you should reserve as soon as the 180 day window opens for you. The reservations go quickly Enjoy

Dolphin Fountain is also a good choice. It has almost the same things as Beaches and Cream, but it is easier to eat there. It's a counter service (no dining plan accepted here).

We are also staying at Boardwalk and are eating at Ale and Compass for our arrival dinner based on reviews from the dining review board. We love seafood and are from Oklahoma so eat as much seafood as possible when in Florida.

Ale & Compass is one of my favorite restaurants in all of WDW, but you really can't go wrong with most of the restaurants in the Epcot resort area hotels.

Flying Fish is great !!! or walk over to the Yacht Club and go to Yachtsmen Steakhouse ...that used to be our first night meal every year
Both are2 credits which OP specifically said they did not want.
We ate out arrival night at Ale & Compass and enjoyed it very much. But we don’t have young children.
I would try a Big River Grille

Trattoria! Homemade pasta, nice ambiance, open kitchen to watch them cook. Delicious food! We found Ale and Compass too.cramped and limited menu for kids. Plus very slow service. Dolphin fountain is just like a diner and ambiance is bland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter