Boardwalk review

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
We just got back from Boardwalk (well, the day before Dorian was supposed to hit Orlando). This was our second DVC stay and our first time at Boardwalk. Our first DVC stay was at Kidani last July. Both stays were in one bedrooms. So, a quick review. There will be some comparison to Kidani.

Overall, we liked Boardwalk and would stay there again, although not our first choice dvc resort (not sure where that is yet). We found that Boardwalk had a lot of charm but lacked sufficient public space, and we noticed daily that the layout of the one bedroom left a lot to be desired.

To state the obvious, the best thing about Boardwalk is location, location, location. We stayed at Beach Club about 4 years ago, pre DVC, so we were aware of the location advantage. We did not realize that the walk to MGM (haha) was even shorter from Boardwalk, so another plus.

The vibe at Boardwalk is awesome, so different from Kidani, where everything is a bit depressing. Everyone we ran into at Boardwalk was jovial and chatty, whereas at Kidani no other guests said hello or even made eye contact. People were much more closed off and private at Kidani, like the resort itself, and always seemed to be focused on getting to wherever it was they were going. At Boardwalk, people were more laid back, smiling, interactive. We are not seeking to make friends on vacation or anything like that, but we did notice the difference. The staff also seemed much more happy and helpful at Boardwalk, unlike at Kidani were the staff seemed more somber, nice but not exactly overtly helpful.

I have read some people commenting on the hallways at both resorts. Believe it or not, we found the hallways at Boardwalk to be worse, just as long as Kidani but with an added labyrinth twist. Our teen commented that the hallways reminded him of The Shining. There were straightaways and pivots and choices and every time we walked down the hallways, we had to look at the signs. Also, there were exits to stairways in different locations (we take the stairs a lot), and we were never sure where we would end up once we popped out the door at the bottom of the stairs. It was just one big maze and we never got a handle on the layout. At Kidani, the hallways are long but straightforward. People also have commented about electric scooters sitting in hallways at Boardwalk. I am happy to report that we did not see any while we were there.

Our kids loved the pool at Boardwalk and declared it was the best pool at Disney which kind of surprised me.
“Better than Beach Club?”
“Yes!”
“Better than the Polynesian?”
“Yes!”
Apparently, the next favorite pool is Port Orleans, so that gives you an idea of how the kids think. Lol.
We found the entire pool area always looked like it needed to be cleaned up and organized. It was also pretty apparent that there were people using the pool who were not staying at Boardwalk (I am not talking about dvc pool hopping).
We went into the community hall once to check out DVDs. The CMs working there were incredibly welcoming and tried to get us to participate in all they had to offer. The CMs at the Kidani community hall were nice enough but not particularly helpful.

The room felt small at Boardwalk. No desk in the bedroom, not even a small one. The balconies were really small and seemed a bit unsafe. At Kidani, the balcony is huge and sturdy. The bathroom layout at Boardwalk is good for two people but not great for a family. On day two, my ten year old, who is not normally interested in architectural design, said, “Mom, your bathroom is pretty much unusable.” I told him that at least it had a sink. But why they put a massive tub basically in between the bed and the closet-- who knows? Does anyone use those tubs? It seems like it would have been much better to put in a bathtub with a shower and a door to the bathroom. This is where I understand the allure of Kidani, great bathroom layout, spacious feel. The kitchen, however, was far more usable at Boardwalk, which surprised me since Kidani was built after Boardwalk. At Kidani, there is nowhere to put groceries except on the counter. As DH says, “very untidy.”

We really enjoyed Belle Vue Lounge (the one lounge/restaurant in Boardwalk hotel), but it should be larger. Not enough public space in general at the Boardwalk. Sometimes the resort has a too crowded feel. We went to the lounge during the day on a couple of occasions and DH and I went there at about 11 pm on two nights. Great atmosphere and very relaxing. Loved the bartenders there. We tried to go to the Abracadabar one night, but even though it listed a 12pm close, the doors were already locked at 10:50. Disappointing. The kids played some carnival games a couple of nights on the boardwalk and really enjoyed them. We also tried the ice cream (better than Beach Club) and bought a few things in the general store. We meant to try more of the food offerings around the boardwalk but it just did not happen. We spent a lot of time at Epcot instead.

So that sums it up. If I think of anything else I will add it. I’d love to hear if anyone has the same or different take on Boardwalk. I am not sure where we are staying next because we have 2 reservations and have not decided yet on which one.

I have read some people commenting on the hallways at both resorts. Believe it or not, we found the hallways at Boardwalk to be worse, just as long as Kidani but with an added labyrinth twist. Our teen commented that the hallways reminded him of The Shining. There were straightaways and pivots and choices and every time we walked down the hallways, we had to look at the signs. Also, there were exits to stairways in different locations (we take the stairs a lot), and we were never sure where we would end up once we popped out the door at the bottom of the stairs. It was just one big maze and we never got a handle on the layout. At Kidani, the hallways are long but straightforward. People also have commented about electric scooters sitting in hallways at Boardwalk. I am happy to report that we did not see any while we were there.

The part about "The Shining" made me chuckle. A few years back I went to WDW with my sisters and we stayed at the BC, this is before they had DVC. While walking to our room the same thought came to me, I felt like I was in The Shining. Those hallways (in the actual hotel) really do look like the shining!

It sounds like overall you enjoyed your stay at the BW. This is my home resort and I like it very much, as you said the location can't be beat and the views are pretty amazing too! I hope you find your favorite DVC. :flower1:

Thanks for the report. My kids loved the BWV pool too and POR pool too. They also loved OKW pool so maybe try there sometime soon.

So we are BWV owners and have had 10-12 stays there. I will say that your thoughts on friendly staff at BWV has not been our experience (specifically the front desk). We found the AKV front desks to be WAY more friendly. BWV is notorious for NOT getting a room much before 4pm and if you arrive early and go to desk (just to say you've arrived even though you've done online check in) they are very snippy and gruffly reiterate that check in is NOT UNTIL 4PM. I just always see the desk when we arrive at every resort and am not demanding or even asking for my room to be ready early...and at BWV they seem to immediately go there on the defensive. And then dang if that room isn't ready until close to 4pm or even after. One time at AKV-Kidani they checked me in and even told me that my room wouldn't be ready for a while but they had other rooms immediately available and showed me a couple options (which we declined and waited for the room location we requested but I thought it was refreshing they were nice). Maybe they've changed over desk staff. Our last couple BWV stays have been better and even got texted room number before arriving last time.

We also have had MB not opening door issues at BWV a lot. But saying all this, BWV is still our fave. We love the location (walk to 2 parks) and we LOVE the feel. We do chat with a lot of other guests while bouncing around the Boardwalk. We love all the dining and drinking options. I like to people watch from the rocking chairs or the Bellvue lounge. It used to be more quaint and quiet but I noticed the past few stays it seems more bustling. That green lawn area used to NEVER have anyone on it...recent trip where our balcony overlooked it and it was covered with people late into the night. The pool has also gotten busier. I fear it will be even more busy (the whole Boardwalk area) once those gondolas start going.

We will be back home, BWV, later this month. Cannot wait!

BWV is home for us - after a few trips the hallways don't seem quite so much out of Zork.

We once booked over at BCV for the pool - my kids (who are now in college) made us pool hop to BWV because the pool is better.

And we love the Bellevue Lounge.

As for public spaces, BWV has the big porch and the underused community hall. It also has the Boardwalk itself and the rose garden - which may be my favorite public space in all of Disney. But like most of BWV, you need to go or be outside to enjoy a lot of the amenities of the resort. There isn't the "side room good for a nap" like there is at BCV.

I've only stayed at BWV once and my experience was just as you said! The front desk was rude when I asked if my room was ready (it was the 2nd half of a split stay and I explained that I hadn't received a text at the first resort although the room was ready), and after eye-rolling and sighing and finally checking, it WAS ready! And that was the first and only time my MB wouldn't open the door, and it took several CMs and quite a bit of time to fix that.
Still, I love the resort and would def stay there again if solo. With the fam we need the space of OKW.

So we are BWV owners and have had 10-12 stays there. I will say that your thoughts on friendly staff at BWV has not been our experience (specifically the front desk). We found the AKV front desks to be WAY more friendly. BWV is notorious for NOT getting a room much before 4pm and if you arrive early and go to desk (just to say you've arrived even though you've done online check in) they are very snippy and gruffly reiterate that check in is NOT UNTIL 4PM.

We also have had MB not opening door issues at BWV a lot.

Thanks for the report. My kids loved the BWV pool too and POR pool too. They also loved OKW pool so maybe try there sometime soon.

So we are BWV owners and have had 10-12 stays there. I will say that your thoughts on friendly staff at BWV has not been our experience (specifically the front desk). We found the AKV front desks to be WAY more friendly. BWV is notorious for NOT getting a room much before 4pm and if you arrive early and go to desk (just to say you've arrived even though you've done online check in) they are very snippy and gruffly reiterate that check in is NOT UNTIL 4PM. I just always see the desk when we arrive at every resort and am not demanding or even asking for my room to be ready early...and at BWV they seem to immediately go there on the defensive. And then dang if that room isn't ready until close to 4pm or even after. One time at AKV-Kidani they checked me in and even told me that my room wouldn't be ready for a while but they had other rooms immediately available and showed me a couple options (which we declined and waited for the room location we requested but I thought it was refreshing they were nice). Maybe they've changed over desk staff. Our last couple BWV stays have been better and even got texted room number before arriving last time.

We also have had MB not opening door issues at BWV a lot. But saying all this, BWV is still our fave. We love the location (walk to 2 parks) and we LOVE the feel. We do chat with a lot of other guests while bouncing around the Boardwalk. We love all the dining and drinking options. I like to people watch from the rocking chairs or the Bellvue lounge. It used to be more quaint and quiet but I noticed the past few stays it seems more bustling. That green lawn area used to NEVER have anyone on it...recent trip where our balcony overlooked it and it was covered with people late into the night. The pool has also gotten busier. I fear it will be even more busy (the whole Boardwalk area) once those gondolas start going.

We will be back home, BWV, later this month. Cannot wait!

I kind of hate to do a review after only one stay, because maybe I had an off week— or an on week! We arrived late, about 8 or 9pm, cannot remember now, so we did not get the after 4pm reprimand. But I know what you are talking about, because we got that at the poly once. We were lucky at Boardwalk, the lobby was empty and the 3 CMs behind the counter were all ready to help us. There was a buzz of excitement in the air, or it seemed so to us, which I think was due to the coming hurricane. We were rushing to try to get to Epcot to get a snack.

Glad you mentioned the magic bands because we also had trouble with them opening our door (the kids’ bands worked fine but not mine or dh’s), and we had to get them reset at the front desk. There were also people in front of us in line from the U.K. with the same magic band problem. We have never had a magic band issue at any other Disney resort.

The green lawn out front was generally bustling for us. They have movies out there at night which also seems to pull the crowds. The rocking chairs and overlook are nice too. The weather was a bit muggy sometimes, so I suspect outdoor lounging will be more appealing in a few weeks when temps go down a bit. But the Boardwalk does have a great vibe. So upbeat. We will have to try OKW for the pool. Funny how kids see things so differently from adults. We stayed at All Star once on the way to a cruise and the kids were just crazy for the resort. We had stayed there before but when our oldest was much younger.

BWV is home for us - after a few trips the hallways don't seem quite so much out of Zork.

We once booked over at BCV for the pool - my kids (who are now in college) made us pool hop to BWV because the pool is better.

And we love the Bellevue Lounge.

As for public spaces, BWV has the big porch and the underused community hall. It also has the Boardwalk itself and the rose garden - which may be my favorite public space in all of Disney. But like most of BWV, you need to go or be outside to enjoy a lot of the amenities of the resort. There isn't the "side room good for a nap" like there is at BCV.
Wish we had seen the rose garden! But you are right, more outside space. Probably better when the weather cools a bit. And the community hall was a hidden gem and empty. Much more popular (crowded lol) at kidani.

Funny that you mentioned the friendliness of both guests & staff at the BWVs - we are the types to smile & greet everyone in passing, and always do so at the BW. Sadly, we also encountered entirely different attitudes elsewhere, ranging from pointedly ignoring us to decidedly unfriendly "why the H@#$ are you talking to me?!!" glares. IMHO, the friendliness of both the BW staff & guests really make it feel like home. BTW, we consider Kidani/Jambo to be one of the most stunning WDW resorts, it just misses the homey vibe. Same with pools - SAB is too much like a crowded, chaotic public pool, whereas most of the other pools retain the relaxing feeling of being at a resort. Thankfully, there are different resorts for different tastes :cloud9:

If you didn't like the layout at BWV, you won't like the layout at BCV, BRV, SSR since they are basically an identical layout.

I know, I have thought about that. We may have to go 2 bedroom at those resorts— except that it seems like it is hard to get a 2 bedroom at BWV. We do not own there.

You're having a tough time with DVC! Roaches and a poor review of Kidani. Now a fairly negative review of BWV. Where to next? Where do you own?

And yes, we use the tub too in the 1BR's. It's a very common DVC design to have the tub and a sink within the master bedroom but not completely enclosed into it's own room. Without a doubt I find the bathroom design a rather facinating puzzle simply based on the number of doors it took to achieve it but it's not terrible. Just a bit odd. The original BLT studio where they tried to be very efficient in space usage and placed the bathroom sink in the kitchenette? That was terrible.

...But the Boardwalk does have a great vibe. So upbeat. We will have to try OKW for the pool. Funny how kids see things so differently from adults. We stayed at All Star once on the way to a cruise and the kids were just crazy for the resort. We had stayed there before but when our oldest was much younger.
Don't expect a great vibe at OKW. It's very laid back and a refuge from the parks. Plus most of the buildings won't have an elevator. Plan on hiking the stairs.

For those who seem to be having problems getting text messages. Check your phone number on the DVC member page. I had entered my new phone number multiple times on our reservations. And for several trips had not received a call. When I checked at the desk they verified that they had our old telephone number and not the new one. The CM at the desk told me she changed it in our file. But it wasn't changed. When I was looking at the member website at my profile, I found they still had the old number and the old address. Changed them both. Last time we went, we finally got a text message. I just checked my profile right now to get the correct name to tell you the details and found they still had our old landline listed as a phone number. I had deleted that months ago. So check your profile and contact information every so often.

Interesting comparison as we own at both.
I love BWV for its location as you mentioned and the boardwalk at night.
I have not found a great difference between CMs or guest friendliness at Kidani or BWV. We have not stayed at Jambo house.
However, the 1 BR at Kidani is SO much better than BWV 1 BR. Much larger. And I love the Savannah in the mornings.
However, if I had to pick one, it would still be BWV.

I suspect people's perceptions of interactions are all different and how people perceive my interaction can me sim-interpreted, however BWV has always been our favorite and we have never experienced a single incidence of anything but wonderful cast member experiences there. We have stayed at BWV, Jambo, Kadani, BLT, OKW, Wilderness, POR, SSR, Caribbean Beach, Music, and Poly Villas, in our personal experience, the staff at Boardwalk have been our favorite. We enjoy the Boardwalk in the evenings and spend time before going to bed, also enjoy the many food options in the area.

Pre-DVC we had a cash stay at BWV. It was not love-At-first-sight for me. My previous stays were DVC locations but, BWV looked unkept at the time by comparison, the QS was sorely lacking and I hated those hallways! We were sooooo far out! But, years later with a few more trips to our name, I see each resort has it’s niche. I’ve grown to love BWV very much. So, if at first you don’t like a resort, maybe give it a chance in the future. As for CM’s - they are human and there will be good and not so great everywhere.

At least BWV BS will give you your luggage and deliveries without argument, unlike BCV 😑.

We had dropped off our stuff and had an air bed delivered as we arrived very early. Went down to fetch it when we got a room. No problem.

They didn’t insist they deliver it. I gave the bell hop a nice tip & the anxiety I had when imagining a BC-type confrontation with BS dissolved. BCV BS needs to get some pointers from BWV BS...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter