Boatwrights

dachsie

DIS Veteran
Has anyone eaten here lately? I just saw an awful review about it from a while back and was wondering if its gotten any better. I have an ADR for arrival day as I am staying at POFQ. Right now I am considering only getting the crawfish bisque, fried okra, and dessert due to the reviews. LOL trying to decide if I should just cancel it

We ate here on our last trip. The food wasn't bad, it wasn't special, but it wasn't bad either. I got the jambalaya and it was pretty ok. I honestly don't think I would eat there again anytime soon. (unless I was staying at one of the Port Orleans resorts for convenience sake.) But overall I didn't think it was a bad restaurant, and certainly not terrible.

I haven't eaten there in 6 years, but I thoroughly enjoyed the catfish I had there. Of course my memory is a little hazy because whatever drink I ordered had quite the punch to it...

We stayed at French Quarter last trip, and it was just a convenience reservation since we drive down and are usually exhausted when arrive. I seem to remember my "unwinding" drink had quite a bit of booze in it as well.

I love French Quarter, it's so small and quiet. One of my favorite resorts. Jogging the river walk all alone in the morning is one of my best distressing memories.

It's one of our tried and true places and generally hit it up on a longer stay at Disney. It's not fancy but it's good. Between us and family we've had the prime rib, strip steak, shrimp & grits and I want to say the jambalaya and everyone enjoyed their meals.

I haven't been lately but IMO it seems to be a love or hate type of restur5ant and I really enjoyed it there.
I'm not even sure why it gets so much hate.
Food was good, CM's were very attentive (a chef even popped by to ask how our food was).
There weren't a ton of people in there which made it a relaxing atmosphere.

We were there about a year ago and it was not good. Husband had ribs and they were dry and overdone. I had some type of pasta dish that was very spicy I could not eat it and they had to bring me something else. Daughter had chicken and that was very good. We used to go there years ago and it was very good not so much anymore. We just went to SSR and ate at their sit down restaurant can't remember the name but it was very good and great service. A little hard ro locate but great food.

We were there about a year ago and it was not good. Husband had ribs and they were dry and overdone. I had some type of pasta dish that was very spicy I could not eat it and they had to bring me something else. Daughter had chicken and that was very good. We used to go there years ago and it was very good not so much anymore. We just went to SSR and ate at their sit down restaurant can't remember the name but it was very good and great service. A little hard ro locate but great food.

I think a lot depends on what type of food you're into.
We have a great New Orleans restaurant near us at home so we are used to having some spicy dishes.
On the other hand we are not really into steak and fried chicken so the TS at SSR would not interest us and we would likely have a bad review.

If I was at POR or POFQ, I’d eat at either of those over Boatrights.

OP (Dachsie) said he/she was staying at Port Orleans and, on day of arrival, had ADR for Boatwrights but was unsure of whether (given some not-so-great Boatwright reviews) to keep the reservation.

I posted an opinion that if I was staying at either POR or POFQ, I’d eat at either of those resorts and ditch Boatwrights.

OP (Dachsie) said he/she was staying at Port Orleans and, on day of arrival, had ADR for Boatwrights but was unsure of whether (given some not-so-great Boatwright reviews) to keep the reservation.

I posted an opinion that if I was staying at either POR or POFQ, I’d eat at either of those resorts and ditch Boatwrights.

But Boatwrights is located AT POR so I'm still rather confused....
Are you saying you'd eat at a QS location at one of those resorts instead?

I should probably add that I am A native Louisianian living in TX and can cook really good Cajun food, so I probably won't get some of their "cajun" dishes. LOL

We ate there five years ago and loved it. Ate there last summer and it was just so-so. They changed their menu up a little since we were there last summer. Nothing jumps out at us as being excited for. It's alot of spicy/new orleans cooking---which isn't something we loved personally. The Turf Club that previous poster mentioned at SSR isn't another bad place to consider.

We ate there in January and were pleasantly surprised. The cornbread and crawfish bisque were very good. Shrimp and grits had great flavor. It was packed all night and we had an hour wait so seem it’s enjoying some popularity lately.

How about taking the boat to Disney Springs and eating somewhere really good? Or just "graze" at a few different places in DS.

But if you want to relax on arrival day, just keep the ADR at Boatright's. If it's terrible, you can look forward to your upcoming good meals elsewhere. If it's good, what a nice way to kick off your vacation!

On TA and Yelp, the reviews of Boatright's are pretty decent overall. And there's a rave review just above. I wouldn't make a decision based on a very bad review from awhile back, even if it was from a professional critic. Even Victoria & Albert's has 27 reviews ranked poor or terrible on TripAdvisor.

Hey dach! When we were there in February, my family stayed at POR. My sister, BiL and I ate at Boatwright's on our arrival day, and my nieces did the same when they arrived a few days later (we joined them for drinks and dessert). We also had dinner there about four years ago...larger party, but all my family, so all from La.!

This past trip, I had the bisque to start, and it was good. But...it's not traditional Louisiana crawfish bisque. It's more like a crab or lobster bisque with cream and sherry. Not my mama's bisque for sure (if there was a roux used to make it, I couldn't taste it). Very very rich, very good, but not a ton of crawfish and not substantial.

We also had the steak (with great crawfish mac n cheese), the all you care to eat platter (which was really good, especially the smoked sausage), and the shrimp and grits. All good. Dessert was good too, except for the creme brulee, which wasn't something I'd order again. Four years ago, my BiL also had the jambalaya, which he said was pretty good for something you'd get in Florida, lol. Overall, it's not what I'd call truly authentic Cajun, but it's certainly not bad! We'd definitely eat there again if we stay at POR or POFQ, and it's especially relaxing to go there if you arrive in the afternoon or evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter