Booked for the week of Oct. 15. Is it too late to get a discount?

SuzyCornett

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone. I've been lurking for weeks, but am a little shy about posting.
We booked our Disney Vacation through a travel agent in February. We are staying at All Star Movies for the week of October 15. Is it too late to get a discount on our rooms or ask for an upgrade? We were also considering staying an extra night (checking out on Saturday, instead of Friday). My travel agent had a family tradgedy this summer and has been very little help. Can I handle this myself and is it even worth a try?
Thanks for any advice.
Suzy

Hi Suzy! Welcome to the DIS, and don't be shy about posting! :)

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, it is not too late for a discount. The bad news is, you can't do anything with your existing reservation yourself -- the TA controls it, so he or she will have to make any changes.

If you bought a package (including room, passes and possibly other options), your travel agent can call Disney and try to get you the discounted October through December Special on that package (the special applies to all packages except the Basic Plan and the Grand Plan).

If you have a "room only" reservation, I would recommend going to MouseSavers.com and arming yourself with the discount codes that apply for your resort hotel and dates. Then ask your TA to use one of them to reduce your room rate.

Normally it would be too late for you to cancel and start over, but because of the recent terrorist attacks, Walt Disney Travel Company has suspended its usual cancellation fees. Here is what Disney says about this:

Due to the existing situation, standard
cancellation policies have been modified for
travel scheduled through December 31, 2001.

The Walt Disney Travel Co. - Fla. and Disney
Central Reservations has waived cancellation
fees for travel through Dec. 31, 2001 and
protected most land package components for
most vacations if rebooked by Oct. 31, 2001.

Travel agents needing further information about
Disney Destinations may call the Walt Disney
World Resort® Central Reservations or Walt
Disney Travel Company.

So if your TA isn't helpful in getting you the discounts you want, another option is to cancel and rebook it yourself at the discounted rate. Be sure to check with your TA (give her the info above, if necessary) to make sure you can cancel everything without penalty. Then make your own reservations with a discounted rate. Once you've done that you can cancel whatever you have booked now. Don't cancel until you have your new reservations locked in, though, since there's no guarantee that the discounts are available for your dates and hotel. (However, there have been so many cancellations that I doubt you'll have trouble.)

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing. Any more questions, just ask!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Welcome to the DIS Suzy!!! Please don't be shy about posting. We are a friendly bunch here! :)
Mary (FoodLover) has pretty much answered your questions. I would just like to encourage you to put a bit of pressure on your Travel Agent and either get the results that you want, or cancel your trip with her and rebook yourself. Since there are no cancellation fees right now, you cannot lose.
Good Luck and be sure to ask any questions that you would like. We would love to help you have a WONDERFUL and CHEAPER Disney Vacation! :)
Again Welcome! :)

Disnee Dad says........................................... Book your own trip and try to match it to what the package is offering. There has never been a package deal that I could not beat and right now you are in the drivers seat. I would say that you do your reseach and make all the needed reservations to get you situated, and then cancel your other trip plan. One last thing, post, post, post, ask anything that comes to mind. There are alot of Disney experts on this board, and though I am sad to say I only agree with them 95% of the time, it's the other 5% that makes it fun!! Join in!!!!!!

Thanks Everyone!
I will leave my TA a message today. If she doesn't call me in a day or two I'll just try to rebook it myself.
This is our second trip to Disney World, but I've learned so much just by reading these boards. I will probably have more questions to ask before I leave.
You are right. This is a very friendly group!
Suzy

Hi Suzy, and welcome too. Boy, I remember how hesitent I felt when first posting here but people are sooooo helpful here; they want you to have as good a vacation as they do. So, I'll add one of my favorite bits of advice. If you aren't aware, you can schedule priority seatings for meals ( and other events) at least 60 days out if you stary on Disney resort property) Some of the meals (character) etc are favorite things to do so check out the board's dining site.

Hi again Suzy! If you are not able to get a hold of your TA, I would talk to someone else in her office and tell them to tell her OR a SUPERVISOR to get in touch with you IMMEDIATELY. You will NOT be able to cancel or make changes to what you have now by yourself - your TA HAS to do it.
Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

:)

I'm still trying to get in touch with her. My husband has even tried to find her husband (they are aquaintances). We haven't been able to find anyone today. I don't even have my reservation/confirmation numbers. I've already paid in full, so at this point I'll be happy if they let me in.
She owned her own buisness. I know that she is not a crook, but I feel that she should have referred her clients to someone else or something. I really feel sorry for her because she did have a family tragedy.
I did make my own reservations for the Chef Mickey's character breakfast and the Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween.
This may make me leery of travel agents forever!
I'll let you guys know what I find out. I do have my credit card receipts.
Suzy

She didn't get a discount for our trip, but she got another day added to my package for around $75. I don't know how that worked out, but we are all about staying an extra day! This includes my park passes.
Next time I will do my own booking though. I'm too fickle and Disney changes so often. I hate to ask someone else to keep rebooking for me. With the help of this group, I don't think a TA could beat the rates I can find.
Thanks!
Suzy

Well Suzy, she may not have gotten the discount that we were talking about - but she must have gotten SOMETHING!!! Don't know how many there are in your party - but to add an additional day to your Unlimited Magic Pass ( I am assuming that is what you got in your package) it is around $50 per adult. So you have gotten an extra day and admissions for that day for $75 - so that is not bad.
But you are right, after booking our first trip with a Travel Agent and realizing that I could not make any changes on my own, I decided NEVER AGAIN. I am too much of a control freak in that regard. I want to be able to call Disney whenever I want without having to go through a middle man.
But no matter what - I am sure that you will have a GREAT time - in just 2 and a half weeks! Woo-Hoo! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter